CASAA | Gulf Coast Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHUCKLEHEAD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Redneck Rivera
How about the American Heart Association? Many smoker die of cardiovascular disease, possibly more than die of cancer. AHA has not to my knowledge spoken against e-cigs. If someone knows otherwise, let me know.

I for sure will make every conceivable effort to attend.
Don;t think so?????? seeing that nicotine has been proven to constrict arteries!!!!!!!!!

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    The AHA is one of the groups calling for ban. According to this article

The*irrational*war on*electronic cigarettes. - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine

AHA reprinted the FDA report on their website. They have not have made any statements about ecigs one way or the other.

Concerning arterial constriction, that is transient. I'm searching to see if the effects of nicotine alone, not associated w/ tobacco, on the cardiovascular system is clincally significant. I don't know if that is even known.

I did find this website about nicotine gum addiction.

http://whyquit.com/pr/120108.html

Last edited:

yvilla

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 18, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Concerning arterial constriction, that is transient. I'm searching to see if the effects of nicotine alone, not associated w/ tobacco, on the cardiovascular system is clincally significant. I don't know if that is even known.

Territoo, studies on smokeless tobacco products do bear on this issue. I've quoted this article here before, but quite some time ago so you may not have seen it, so I'll do it again as it's right on point:

4. Cardiovascular diseases
    Over the past 15 years, eight epidemiologic studies have examined the risk of cardiovascular diseases among ST users. Six of the studies found that ST users had no increased risk for heart attacks or strokes [47,90,97-100]. The other two reported modestly positive associations, with ST users having RRs of 1.2 and 1.4 [92,101], which are lower than those of smokers. In 2003, Asplund completed a comprehensive review of the cardiovascular effects of ST use [102]. He concluded that, in distinct contrast to smokers, ST users do not exhibit any significant differences from nonusers of tobacco with regard to the following measures of cardiovascular health: heart rate, blood pressure, cardiac output and maximal working capacity, levels of hemoglobin and hematocrit, leukocytes, antioxidant vitamins, fibrinogen, components of the fibrinolytic system, C-reactive protein and thromboxane A2 production. In addition, ST users did not show important smoking-associated vascular changes, including increased thickness of blood vessels and atherosclerotic plaque development. In summary, most of the medical and epidemiologic evidence documents that ST users do not have elevated risks for cardiovascular diseases.

From: http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/pdf/1477-7517-3-37.pdf

Last edited:

j0ker

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 24, 2009
    MS Gulf Coast
    Anyone have a suggestion as to a beneficiary for the event? I think it would be good PR to donate proceeds toward a worthy cause. It would certainly help align us with a known charity to attract more positive press.

How about the American Cancer Society or keep it inline with jj2's suggestion and some kind of cancer research for kids! :D

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
    Sep 27, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I second this, in fact he beat me to the post!

The thing I'd like to mention though, if you take proceeds and hand it to them, you could mention the research done by the New Zealanders (is that the right word?) that shows that the nitrosamine levels are below carcinogenic levels, and thus, a less cancer-prone alternative to burning tobacco plant matter... if approached in a respectful way -armed to the teeth with what studies have been done- it could really help our cause.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    How about the American Heart Association? Many smoker die of cardiovascular disease, possibly more than die of cancer. AHA has not to my knowledge spoken against e-cigs. If someone knows otherwise, let me know.

I for sure will make every conceivable effort to attend.

The AHA is not our friend:

Click here to read a joint statement from the American Cancer Society, Cancer Action Network, American Heart Association, American Lung Association, and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids supporting Sen. Lautenberg’s call for removing e-cigarettes from the market.

I read the joint statement. The link above will not work, as the press release has been removed. If AHA has changed its mind about e-cigarettes, they are keeping it a big secret.

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    On the Gulf Coast are about 6 major military bases...donations could be made to the wounded warriors fund via contact with PR departments on each base. I believe there is a regional office as well. Once the PR people work their magic and mention CASAA in their Military newspapers an invite could be extended to active duty (Gaurd and Reserve) members. Lots of smokers could be introduced to this technology and have a great time as well.

Off the top of my head: Keesler AFB, Pensacola Naval station, Eglin AFB, Hurlburt AFB, etc...I could research this more if board members are interested.

The military loves great parties! ;)

The AHA is not our friend:

Click here to read a joint statement from the American Cancer Society, Cancer Action Network, American Heart Association, American Lung Association, and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids supporting Sen. Lautenberg’s call for removing e-cigarettes from the market.

I read the joint statement. The link above will not work, as the press release has been removed. If AHA has changed its mind about e-cigarettes, they are keeping it a big secret.

this link is dead. this I think is the article I was looking for in my earlier post. Did they take it down and that is why I couldn't find it?

Last edited:

Webby

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2009
    USA
    On the Gulf Coast are about 6 major military bases...donations could be made to the wounded warriors fund via contact with PR departments on each base. I believe there is a regional office as well. Once the PR people work their magic and mention CASAA in their Military newspapers an invite could be extended to active duty (Gaurd and Reserve) members. Lots of smokers could be introduced to this technology and have a great time as well.

Off the top of my head: Keesler AFB, Pensacola Naval station, Eglin AFB, Hurlburt AFB, etc...I could research this more if board members are interested.

I LIKE this idea! No reason we can't bring in several groups and causes. I have a friend who is a retired sub mariner and says these would have been great in his day. I'm not sure what the military's official stance is, but I do know I ship to bases all over the world.

j0ker

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 24, 2009
    MS Gulf Coast
    You can add the Navy Seabee base to that list...

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2009
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Justa thought. Mobile now has the Fantasy (Carnival) sailing the western Caribbean out of Mobile. Rates are stoopid cheap during Jan-Feb (I've been planning one for the last couple weeks). From Travelocity the rates are:

5 nites Sat-Thursday (board by 3:00pm)
    Jan 16-21 319pp/inside 379pp/oceanview
    Jan 30-Feb4 319pp/inside 379pp/oceanview

5 nites Mon-Saturday (off the ship by 9:00 am if you carry your own luggage)
    Jan 11-16 289pp/inside 319pp/oceanview
    Jan 25-30 279pp/inside 309pp/oceanview

The rates would be better if we got a group rate (10 rooms or more). For me, vacation time is better on the Sat-Thur one, but itinerary is better on the Mon-Sat one, and it would fit in better to an all day CASAA event on Sat. Those of us who had done the cruise would experts in the role of vaping ambassadors by then. Any love here for the idea, in tandem with the concert? It would make alot more justification for some folks doing the travel. If there's interest here, I'll shoot a link to this discussion to the Chuckaholics social thread (they...ok, we...are a rabid bunch). If everyone is comfy with this being a sidebar to the concert, I'll also establish a thread on Cruise Critic, which will be great press!
    -Kathy

<edit> Also, if there is interest in this, I'll volunteer to do the planning/coordination (I finally found something to bring to the table <G>). No, I'm not a travel agent, I'm a geek engineer, but I plan all travel for work, friends and family cause it's fun for me. Any discounts for doing group will be distributed evenly in the gang going.

Last edited:

DonleyDoRight

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 20, 2009
    Florida Panhandle
    www.want2vape.com
    Greetings all,
    Thanks for the phone call today Webby.
    Just got off the phone with the boys and we will be happy to perform at the event, so yes you have booked another band.

Bloody 98 is a local band from Mobile that will rock the park. We play rock n roll with a southern feel. you can hear a sample at our myspace page.

myspace.com/bloody98band

Thanks for the invite,
    Donley

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread