CASAA | Voting Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Jim I'm sure you see what I'm saying. I just want to know if CASAA membership is going to include anyone who wants to join whether they're from ECF or not.

Without a doubt. I've said in an earlier post that the majority of my clients are older folks who don't even own a PC. If they do, the best they can manage is email and a little web surfing. Navigating a forum would blow their minds.

CASAA's web presence goes back to the core of what most neonates know about the internet: email and web sites.

I know we'd all like the world to be fully electronic, but to say only people with computers and the savvy to navigate a forum are invited is ludicrous. The CASAA web site will bring a lot of online resources under one web presence (via links - we're not out to steal any webmaster's hard earned content) and a paper newsletter should be a simple enough way to bring it back to the basics.

Bottom line - if you vape - you can join. A name and physical mailing address and/or email should be the ONLY requirements. (Obviously online activity would require an email address)

Think about this - there are over 700 CASAA members so far - all from ECF ranks.

NOW - think about what will happen when we open those rolls to every e-cig buyer, tobacco store patron and John Q Public citizen who buys an e-cig from a truck stop or orders them online and doesn't even know about the ECF or this movement?

Limit membership to ECF (or any forum)? We're dead if we do.

Last edited:

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
So Webby, I'm understanding that CASAA is really about the people. All members are equal , so to speak. One message board's members won't be more special than others, right?

ps. Not understanding your comments about older people and neonates, other than they don't use message boards, LOL

Thanks,
Karen

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
So Webby, I'm understanding that CASAA is really about the people. All members are equal , so to speak. One message board's members won't be more special than others, right?

ps. Not understanding your comments about older people and neonates, other than they don't use message boards, LOL

Thanks,
Karen

Well, that's my take on it.

Maybe we can send telegrams to the older folk. :)

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
Real sorry to see that 3 nominees decided to step down. But I'm sure they'll be valuable members to CASAA anyway!

I know this is an awkward time to suggest this, but the voting is nearing the end. Since we have 3 nominees less, and they won't be replaced, I suggest that we leave the electeds to 9 board members. Then those 9's first order of business will be to fill those 3 positions with 3 CASAA members from outside ECF. Fair is fair and there should be board members from outside ECF; they were not included as nominees.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
I know of many people who were not nominated because they are not ECF members, which still leaves all nominees members of ECF. I'm not trying to be confusing, just hoping that there's a way to show non-ECF-CASAA-supporting members that they are equally important as everyone else.

Furthermore, I'd like to suggest that all further discussions under the CASAA heading be moved to CASAA, and no further CASAA business held here.

Last edited:

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
If the election process keeps getting reworked like this, a board will never be assembled, and CASAA will not be able to do anything.

This is a first election, a first board, with annual elections. Once CASAA has started, issues that happened during this election can be addressed, and remedied for the next. Its a process, but that process needs to begin for anything to really be done.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
In any election, candidates are going to step down for a variety of reasons and the election goes on. There are 26 highly qualified candidates already in play and vetted. In hindsight, several things may have been done differently and next year I am sure they will be. For now, there will be no changes to the approved process.

There is plenty of room for growth and contributions of efforts from in and outside the ECF forum. There is no way around the growing pains and we are only three days away from announcing the Board. I for one, (elected or not) am looking forward to rolling up our sleeves and getting down to the work that CASAA was formed to do.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    In any election, candidates are going to step down for a variety of reasons and the election goes on. There are 26 highly qualified candidates already in play and vetted. In hindsight, several things may have been done differently and next year I am sure they will be. For now, there will be no changes to the approved process.

There is plenty of room for growth and contributions of efforts from in and outside the ECF forum. There is no way around the growing pains and we are only three days away from announcing the Board. I for one, (elected or not) am looking forward to rolling up our sleeves and getting down to the work that CASAA was formed to do.

I'm in complete agreement. Until it has a Board, CASAA cannot move forward. Despite the problems that are expected in the initial organization phase, we are just a few days away from completing this step, so that we CAN move on. There are many qualified candidates, so in all probability, the first Board will be a good one.

ECF is just the place where this new idea took root. It does not mean that CASAA is ever just limited to ECF.

As CASAA grows, we will reach even more talented and interested people, both in the US and internationally.

Thus, we start out strong but continue to improve. We learn from our past experiences and mistakes, and keep on going. We've got goals and we can achieve them, but only if we ALL roll up our sleeves and work.

I know of many people who were not nominated because they are not ECF members, which still leaves all nominees members of ECF. I'm not trying to be confusing, just hoping that there's a way to show non-ECF-CASAA-supporting members that they are equally important as everyone else.

Furthermore, I'd like to suggest that all further discussions under the CASAA heading be moved to CASAA, and no further CASAA business held here.

I'm sure there are plenty of excellent candidates for the board outside ECF, but I'm afraid your suggestion would cause more confusion than it would settle. Although CASAA is not just an ECF group, it is starting here and to be honest, it's too much to ask to try and pick candidates out from a list of people that we don't know anything about except that for some reason (good or bad) they are unable or unwilling to post here at ECF.

I think that having an independent forum is a great idea, but IMO it is an undertaking that should wait until we have the resources (like say, a realized constitution and bylaws and...*ahem*...a voting board to enact them) to do it properly.

I realize that this means that some people are going to be left out of some aspects of the first steps of our incorporation, but there will be future elections and those people have the luxury of not potentially getting injured in these first steps.

However, I would support an alternate election method for a limited number of board positions. An internal election within the board, or a second public election would give us the opportunity to fill slots with people who would represent the points of view that aren't reflected in the initial election: For example, there are several candidates that I support for their legal and/or medical background, but may not be "popular" enough to get elected.

I would love the honor of being elected to serve on this board, but it is more important to me that we have as diverse a voting board as possible and a popularity-based election may not give us the diversity we need. The caliber of all the candidates is such that I don't think we can go too far wrong with any of these candidates, but more diversity is better than less, IMHO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread