Catfish Atty Mods the next Chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States
chowderhead1972 bro i messed up. :confused: my phone auto filled the wrong email address. it went to hotmail by accident... is that ok or should i resend?? sometimes i hate my stupid smart phone
I don't own that account I can't refund it nor can I get the money. I do get the emails though. As yiorgio how to back it out he may or may not have done the same thing but he was able to back it out.

joecarroll42

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Virginia
What don't you like about the manta?

I actually love the Manta.. It's an amazing atty with killer flavor. If I had any complaint at all it would be with the AFC. I wish it were easily adjusted on the fly. I've just been wanting to try The Stumpy.

Did you get it back,already?

Not yet, it'll be here tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States
So I tried TC on my dna40 with nickel200 first in the manta, then on a chalice. yuck, seems to have a metallic taste.
should I have dry burned it first? I wrapped a nice even spaced coild wicked and vaped, not my usual pulse and squeeze technic with kanthal....thoughts?
I came to the same conclusion...... I'm highly sensitive to metallic tastes and all I could taste was metal.

joecarroll42

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Virginia
Stumpy final 20. Stop at 15. Same as before $107 with mini tip $117 with chuf tip add regular shipping
Mini tips: black,white, SS. Chuff tips black or white.
1. BENTHOS Black mini
2. IonMan Black mini (payment sent)
3. Houndb Black chuf
4. NatGasMan Black mini
5. freedogg black chuff
6. kkiet Black chuff - paid
7. distortoblotto Black mini ( bank draft sent)
8. Sqonker SS Mini
9.Rocceral black chuff (payment sent)
10.Graywolf1911 white mini & white chuff (payment sent)
11.mrrickyyap
12.Raynman
13.newplague black chuff (payment sent)
14. joecarroll42 (white mini)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

McPuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
P.A. USA
I don't own that account I can't refund it nor can I get the money. I do get the emails though. As yiorgio how to back it out he may or may not have done the same thing but he was able to back it out.
I will send it again tomorrow. Hopefully I get it right this time

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I came to the same conclusion...... I'm highly sensitive to metallic tastes and all I could taste was metal.
I had the same experience with Ni initially. I could be wrong but I think it needs a break in period. What I tried and really like better is twisting Ni with Kanthal. Just seems to work better for me. Titanium is next. ;)

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
So I tried TC on my dna40 with nickel200 first in the manta, then on a chalice. yuck, seems to have a metallic taste.
should I have dry burned it first? I wrapped a nice even spaced coild wicked and vaped, not my usual pulse and squeeze technic with kanthal....thoughts?

TC 101:

(a) Do not dry burn Ni 200 unless you are following an expert's advise. You can pulse it at low wattage, but see "b"

(b) The consensus is that contact coils do not work under TC, except for experts (not kidding). Use spaced coils...no pulse, no squeeze,

(c) Easiest is to wrap on a precision screw driver, compress with your fingers to the bolt, then pull apart slightly, making sure the wraps remain separate.

(d) The connections to the posts must be very secure and the 510 pin clean...check your resistance before installing on the mod. Reading off the mod and on should be close to identical,

[I notice four or five posts since I started typing. ;) Will amend or direct you to a proper thread.]

element77

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Atl, Ga
thanks Jazz however, check, check, check, and check.
Still tastes terrible, I completely agree with Tom and NautilusFan, but I gave up before it broke in, it was "breakin' me in" I cried uncle after about 30 puffs.
Perhaps Ti wire then or I can try adding kanthal as Nfan suggested, I have plenty lying around

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
thanks Jazz however, check, check, check, and check.
Still tastes terrible, I completely agree with Tom and NautilusFan, but I gave up before it broke in, it was "breakin' me in" I cried uncle after about 30 puffs.
Perhaps Ti wire then or

Yeah, it may boil down to personal taste or idiosyncracy

Going back to Kanthal A1, after six months away from it, also took some "getting used to".

I'm with Tom on brass and copper, but we aren't vaping those wires...yet. ;)

ETA: Titanium has its own "taste". My least favorite. ;(

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA

You don't dry burn Ni200. You can rinse it thoroughly under hot water which seems to help some people. Where you get your wire also matters. TC mode limits you to 600F because Ni200 can potentially cause issues over 650F. I have personally noticed a difference when keeping the spaced wraps below 12 and using a 22mm atty. You can do a hybrid: twisted dual strand with one strand Kanthal. Your TC will be off a bit, but not enough to matter much.

For you, I would recommend torching a strand of Kanthal, rinsing a strand of Ni200, and creating a hybrid for the Manta.

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Other thing I found was to wipe down Ni with a little isopropyl to remove any residue/oil. Think this may be more necessary than with Kanthal since there's no dry burning with Ni. Same thing with Titanium.

Except, you must wash to get the isopropyl alcohol off. You do not want to vape isopropyl.

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You don't dry burn Ni200. You can rinse it thoroughly under hot water which seems to help some people. Where you get your wire also matters. TC mode limits you to 600F because Ni200 can potentially cause issues over 650F. I have personally noticed a difference when keeping the spaced wraps below 12 and using a 22mm atty. You can do a hybrid: twisted dual strand with one strand Kanthal. Your TC will be off a bit, but not enough to matter much.

For you, I would recommend torching a strand of Kanthal, rinsing a strand of Ni200, and creating a hybrid for the Manta.
Thanks Peng. Good advice. Like you said don't dry burn Ni. Nasty things start happening! So many have jumped into Ni and try to treat it like Kanthal and it's a miserable failure. I found tempered 28 Ni and 30 Kanthal 11 wraps on a 3mm work fairly well. What build have you found works well?
Oh yea and make sure to rinse the isopropyl off! Thanks JV :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread