CDC 2014 NHIS finds 2.7 million US adults vaped “daily”, 6.2 million vaped “some days"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Brad Rodu: 30 million US adults have used e-cigarettes, unpublicized CDC data reveals
Tobacco Truth: 30 Million U.S. Adults Have Used E-Cigarettes, Unpublicized CDC Data Reveals
that 2104 NHIS found that:

-2.7 million US adults vaped “daily”, 6.2 million used an e-cigarette on “some days”, and 30 million “ever used” an e-cigarette

- 71% of “daily” or “some days” vapers were current cigarette smokers (6.3 million),
- 22% of “daily” or “some days” vapers were former cigarette smokers (1.95 million),
- 7% of “daily” or “some days” vapers were never cigarette smokers (595,000), but nearly 70% of them were smokers of Other tobacco Products,
- 2% of “daily” or “some days” vapers were never tobacco smokers (178,000),

- 22% of cigarette smokers who vaped in 2014 were “daily vapers” (1.39 million),
- 63% of former smokers who vaped in 2014 were “daily vapers” (1.25 million), and
- 16% of never cigarette smokers (among whom nearly 70% were OTP smokers) who vaped in 2014 were “daily vapers” (95,000).

The 2014 NHIS data revealed by Brad Rodu (which has NOT been revealed or made available to the general public by CDC, as data sets are massive) at
Tobacco Truth: 30 Million U.S. Adults Have Used E-Cigarettes, Unpublicized CDC Data Reveals
confirm that “daily vaping” data is critically important for research, surveillance, communication and policy making (as virtually all “daily vapers” are current or former smokers, and virtually all vapers who quit smoking are “daily vapers”). This data also confirm that Obama’s DHHS, and many DHHS and Big Pharma funding recipients have been falsely claiming (since 2009) that e-cigs are target marketed to youth, are highly addictive, are gateways to cigarettes, renormalize smoking and don’t help smokers quit.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
- 7% of “daily” or “some days” vapers were never cigarette smokers (595,000), but nearly 70% of them were smokers of Other Tobacco Products,

Interesting stat. I know many pipe smokers who never smoked cigarettes and who don't inhale. There are a few epipe vapers at a local vape store that come in for attys and eliquid.

The CDC here demonstrates why courts ask people to 'tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth'. They alter the truth to fit their agenda, and withhold the truth that doesn't fit it.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I'm delighted to find out 30M of the 43M American smokers discovered harmless & effective [HASHTAG]#vaping[/HASHTAG]. Let's harness this unmatched political force and prosecute tobacco control abuses. Only once TC has been completely abolished will vaping achieve its full potential. [HASHTAG]#AbolishTC[/HASHTAG]

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
- 2% of “daily” or “some days” vapers were never tobacco smokers (178,000),

Bill, thanks (again) for sharing and your support.

This stat is interesting, and one that could be twisted. On the one hand, only 2% of the vaping community were never smokers, which is low and ties into what our community has been saying all along -- the majority of people vape to get off cigarettes (myself included).

But, I can see the headlines now: "E-Cigarettes Leads 178,000 Americans to Nicotine Addiction".

It's one of those stats that can be viewed from different angles to either make your point or break your opponents' point...or am I just too disillusioned? :confused:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
In my shop there is a guy and his girl friend working there who smoked and decided to try ecigs. Both have stopped smoking. The girl friend stopped vaping too. I wonder how they count people who smoked, then vaped and now do neither?

That's actually a good question because there have been numbers. Once you realize that there is more to the cigarette habit than the over sold nicotine "addiction", it is much easier to give up nicotine completely if you choose.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Bill, thanks (again) for sharing and your support.

This stat is interesting, and one that could be twisted. On the one hand, only 2% of the vaping community were never smokers, which is low and ties into what our community has been saying all along -- the majority of people vape to get off cigarettes (myself included).

But, I can see the headlines now: "E-Cigarettes Leads 178,000 Americans to Nicotine Addiction".

It's one of those stats that can be viewed from different angles to either make your point or break your opponents' point...or am I just too disillusioned? :confused:

This is anecdotal - from my experience hanging around local vape shops, but I'm seeing a lot of younger (legal age) vapers - mainly cloud chasers who vape 0mg nic.

I know there were a portion of 'regular vapers' before the sub-ohm boom who were 0mg vapers but I always considered it a small percentage of vapers. I think that is no longer the case. Studies are needed of course, but I can imagine that this isn't just a 'local phenomena'.

Whether those in that category who vape no-nic would have been in the 'never smoker' category or would have taken up cigarettes, would really be hard to tell. You can't 'prove a negative'. It's easier to say that teens of illegal age take up vaping instead of smoking just on the idea that teens are going to experiment and the former smoking stats would tend to validate that. But taking up vaping just to blow clouds of 0mg nic would be a harder case to prove.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
This is anecdotal - from my experience hanging around local vape shops, but I'm seeing a lot of younger (legal age) vapers - mainly cloud chasers who vape 0mg nic.

I know there were a portion of 'regular vapers' before the sub-ohm boom who were 0mg vapers but I always considered it a small percentage of vapers. I think that is no longer the case. Studies are needed of course, but I can imagine that this isn't just a 'local phenomena'.

Whether those in that category who vape no-nic would have been in the 'never smoker' category or would have taken up cigarettes, would really be hard to tell. You can't 'prove a negative'. It's easier to say that teens of illegal age take up vaping instead of smoking just on the idea that teens are going to experiment and the former smoking stats would tend to validate that. But taking up vaping just to blow clouds of 0mg nic would be a harder case to prove.

Very good points. Cloud chasing usually involves lung inhales, which is easy to do on no-nic or very low nic (e.g. 3mg) and not easily doable on my normal strength of 12mg without coughing. I personally know a few vapers who are younger (but of legal age) who vape very low nic (3mg) for larger clouds -and- because they just don't seem to have an interest in higher nic.

Even in the vape shops, you are right, I notice the younger vapers always gravitate towards the 3mg or 0mg while us "old ex-smoker guys" are buying 12mg+. Many of the local vape shops here, especially the ones that cater to the cloud-chasing/hobbyist crowd, don't even sell eliquid with nic strength above 12mg (and even then, only a few flavors).

I guess that's the flaw in a lot of these studies. They don't ask the one question: "What nicotine strength do you normally vape?". That would give some indication as to how many of that 2% are even using nicotine at all. It would certain help educate our policymakers that zero-nic even exists.... I'm not sure they all know that.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Very good points. Cloud chasing usually involves lung inhales, which is easy to do on no-nic or very low nic (e.g. 3mg) and not easily doable on my normal strength of 12mg without coughing. I personally know a few vapers who are younger (but of legal age) who vape very low nic (3mg) for larger clouds -and- because they just don't seem to have an interest in higher nic.

Even in the vape shops, you are right, I notice the younger vapers always gravitate towards the 3mg or 0mg while us "old ex-smoker guys" are buying 12mg+. Many of the local vape shops here, especially the ones that cater to the cloud-chasing/hobbyist crowd, don't even sell eliquid with nic strength above 12mg (and even then, only a few flavors).

I guess that's the flaw in a lot of these studies. They don't ask the one question: "What nicotine strength do you normally vape?". That would give some indication as to how many of that 2% are even using nicotine at all. It would certain help educate our policymakers that zero-nic even exists.... I'm not sure they all know that.

Yep. On a few occasion of 'taste your juice' (using one's own drip tip of course :- ) a few of the no/low nic vapers have noticed immediately the nic in mine (11mg DIY stuff) lol. And have since either adjusted to M2L inhales or just declined :D

But the sales clerks' patter for sub-ohm eliquid purchase is "Zero or 3 on the nic?" The answer is mostly zero and quite a few "3's" and a really rare "6" - never above that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread