CDC NHIS finds sharpest annual decline in adult smoking to record low 15.2% in 1st Quarter of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
CDC NHIS finds sharpest annual decline in adult smoking to record low 15.2% in 1Q15 (down from 16.8% in 2014, and from 20.6% in 2009 when Obama’s DHHS unlawfully banned e-cigs and launched its War on vaping) as even more smokers switch to vaping; highlights pending public health disaster posed by FDA’s proposed Deeming Regulation (that would protect/promote cigarettes by banning >99.9% of all nicotine e-cig products)
Products - NHIS Early Release - 2015
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/earlyrelease201509_08.pdf

AVA: New CDC data shows smoking continues to fall as vaping increases
New CDC Data Shows Smoking Continues to Fall as Vaping Increases - The American Vaping Association

Two news stories so far
US adult smoking rate below 18 per cent in 2014: CDC | National Post
U.S. smoking rate drops to new low - CBS News

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
CDC NHIS finds sharpest annual decline in adult smoking to record low 15.2% in 1Q15 (down from 16.8% in 2014, and from 20.6% in 2009 when Obama’s DHHS unlawfully banned e-cigs and launched its War on Vaping) as even more smokers switch to vaping; highlights pending public health disaster posed by FDA’s proposed Deeming Regulation (that would protect/promote cigarettes by banning >99.9% of all nicotine e-cig products)
Products - NHIS Early Release - 2015
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/earlyrelease201509_08.pdf

AVA: New CDC data shows smoking continues to fall as vaping increases
New CDC Data Shows Smoking Continues to Fall as Vaping Increases - The American Vaping Association

Two news stories so far
US adult smoking rate below 18 per cent in 2014: CDC | National Post
U.S. smoking rate drops to new low - CBS News

The NHIS stats show no good news regarding alcohol consumption, especially among women.

The American Vaping Association article points out how smoking rates stagnated for five years until vaping started to take hold, followed by five plus years of decline.

The National Post article adds this possibly important note: "The smoking rate was about 15 per cent for the first three months of this year. However, beginning-of-the-year survey data tends to be skewed by the temporary impact of New Year’s resolutions.

The CBS article is horrible. They say the FDA e-cig regulations will help bring further declines and quote this: "Experts don't know whether e-cigarettes have played a role in the reduction of the smoking rate, as there haven't been enough studies conducted to assess their impact." But, on the other hand, they credit all the draconian TC and BG policies, including the disgusting strategy of turning smokers into social pariahs for the declines, without any evidence except this quote: ""I hear from smokers all the time, 'When I can't smoke here, I can't smoke there, when people see me smoke they look at me like I'm a pariah -- it makes me want to not smoke anymore,' ".

Reactions: Lessifer

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Makes perfect sense to me!
The BAD news? Obesity is UP for those over 20 years of age for 2015. This is the 'new' health crisis of our time, I think. Watch those cakes and cookies, friends! AND, it is high time to go after diet soda. (It ain't working so well.......lol.)
Mark my words, tomorrow's headline, ecigs make you fat.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Which one is that ?
Deeming them tobacco products, in itself, subjects vaping products to the February 2007 cutoff date for grandfathering in tobacco products, which was voted on by Congress and signed by the President. Nearly everything on the market, and every effective device will be forced off the market, requiring an impossibly expensive and extremely time consuming process for approval to renter the market, same as any new product. This is aside from any rules they put in place.

Rep. Tom Cole's bill (HR 2058, I think) would change that grandfathering date.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Not according to Gallup polls. Those results have fluctuated between 19 and 22% since 2007. And best of all, the percentage who do NOT want to quit smoking has risen from 20% in 2011, to 24% in 2013, to 32% in 2014, to 42% in 2015. That is more than doubling of the proportion of the hard core!
Tobacco and Smoking | Gallup Historical Trends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread