Ceravape Cerabis ceramic wick tank - thoughts and a question about leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
I recently picked up a Ceravape Cerabis ceramic wick tank. It uses replaceable coils with ceramic wicks that are supposed to last a LONG time. I generally hate tanks and have been vaping on RDAs with kanthal/rayon for years but this sounded like something new and possibly useful.

In short, the tank is put together really well and really does vape like a champ...until it drips hot juice all over my flask and hands. I hate nothing more than leaky atties so this is an absolute deal breaker for me. The leaks happen from the bottom airflow ports and only after the juice heats up it seems. I vape homebrew 70/30 (PG/VG) and suspect a thicker juice might fix the leaking but I'm not modifying my mix to satisfy this tank.

Question: any ideas from you tank pros out there regarding stopping leaking on these? Any discussion / help will be greatly appreciated.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
I don't own one. I do however own a Vaporesso Target tank. I'm not happy with the cotton sleeve around the ceramic- because I would like to clean/ dry burn it. I've been researching the Cerebus because it had no cotton whatsoever & medical grade nano ceramic.
Again I don't own one but would love to. Apparently- if you open and close this tanks airflow too often, you create an overflow. The open close action creates a pumping of the juice and it's only way out is through the airflow hole. You only need to close it when it's not being vaped for awhile. The lack of cotton allows a freeflow of juice. The cotton doesn't overfill but ceramic can (it's too porous). The solve should be the open close, but again- it acts more like an airpump.
If it's only leaking a little, Try it mounted on a UD Balrog. It has a juice catching cotton ring. Or you could always try the basic coil in a rebuildable. Just some suggestions. Good luck!

Reactions: Ramsay Bolton

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Just making sure you know this but the tank does have juice control. You can gradually close off the juice flow slots by turning the upper portion of the tank clockwise.. I vape a 30/70 PG/VG juice and with the slots wide open I get n leaking. If you are vaping a PG heavy juice try closing the juice slots ff to half way.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Just making sure you know this but the tank does have juice control. You can gradually close off the juice flow slots by turning the upper portion of the tank clockwise.. I vape a 30/70 PG/VG juice and with the slots wide open I get n leaking. If you are vaping a PG heavy juice try closing the juice slots ff to half way.

I'm a high PG MTL user and would probably have the airflow greatly restricted anyway. I was curious how it would work out with a higher PG juice as all my other tanks are MTL coils or now starting RTAs. If ceramic can handle a high PG juice so I don't have to start stocking/mixing/worrying about what to have on hand for just one tank, I would like to give this a spin. It's an appealing concept, and being able to dry burn and reuse makes it attractive, in much the same way I'm looking at coil building if I keep rewicking and get more life out of a build.

Reactions: JPoodles

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
So after using this tank for a week, I'm afraid it's headed to the trash. Great flavor and vapor from the coils but the tank, at least the one I received, is garbage. Very poor threading, have to force the coil head into the tank (way too tight), Very difficult to raise and lower the tank section and it leaks like crazy. Looking at videos it appears that others move smoothly up and down so I'm assuming my tank is messed up. Either way, using 30/70 juice with the juice control barely open it will dump juice when you least expect it. Oh, and I don't open and close the tank at all (what they say causes leaking) because it's way to stiff to do so!
Too bad because these coils are great.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
So after using this tank for a week, I'm afraid it's headed to the trash. Great flavor and vapor from the coils but the tank, at least the one I received, is garbage. Very poor threading, have to force the coil head into the tank (way too tight), Very difficult to raise and lower the tank section and it leaks like crazy. Looking at videos it appears that others move smoothly up and down so I'm assuming my tank is messed up. Either way, using 30/70 juice with the juice control barely open it will dump juice when you least expect it. Oh, and I don't open and close the tank at all (what they say causes leaking) because it's way to stiff to do so!
Too bad because these coils are great.
Sorry to hear...but thanks for sharing.
I got the same leakage from the target tank until I dialed in the temp control on my box. Took some getting used to but I'm glad to have the ceramic coil...taste is everything to MTL's.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
Wanted to respond again if not just to bump this thread. I think ceramic is wonderful for taste and mtl users! I started experimenting with it years ago! Aside from sculpting my own wicks(material was sub-par), I was astonished by the amount of flavor that popped.
If you are used to cotton or similar wicking, you are used to a very wet and maybe even cloying vape (with minor aftertaste of the material used). With ceramic, it's a dryer/cleaner taste (imo). Some people say that they can taste the ceramic. Idk much about that except that I have tasted a bit of cotton on the ccell heads in the target tank- but only when breaking in a new coil.
When I was using rba's(gennies) I could taste something that I couldn't put my finger on. In retrospect, I think it was oil from my fingers on the preformed vertical wick that I was wrapping. Or maybe it was a small hint of dry hit-seeing as the coil had to seat itself on the wick b4 it produced good tasting vapor. Again idk. Research never answered much of the ceramic questions. One reason why I'm trying to follow up on this thread. We've come a long way since then.
I currently use the vaporesso target tank with the replaceable ni200 .5ohm temp control head. I have it mounted on UD's balrog -sub ohm box. It's been trial and error but I've dialed in the tc (as I mentioned previously) and its a dream! The taste is not near as dry as with straight wattage on a kanthal coil and I can hit the vapor for longer without threat of flooding/dry hitting.
Mind you all that this is my opinion and while I welcome any questions-I abhor judgement! This forum is mainly to help and support. Otherwise it's a social safe haven :) we are lucky to have it.

LiquidFiendKC

Aug 21, 2016
I ordered a black and ss model and love the flavor of this tank, best flavor I've found with pre-built coil. Then comes the flood, I'm not entirely sure if it's the the tank design or the coils, although the push pull function is problematic because it creates pressure on the center orings. In my opinion the coils continuously cook off liquid once it heats up. So I've modded my coils by using cotton plugs on the upper juice ports of the coil, It hasn't leaked so far. Just be sure the cotton plugs are small enough to fit those tiny ports, and do not stick out more than the orings. obviously you will have to replace the cotton if you want to dry burn the coils. I hope someone finds a good answer, but for now I'm running mine as a hybrid similar to kanger or ecell coils.

Andeman

Jan 24, 2017
As I researched about the leaking tanks, I heard people mention condensation and what I would call seepage. When I first got my tank, it leaked, ran, pooled, poured out. Not seepage or condensation. It flat out leaked! I stuck with it because running menthol 50/50 at 50W I don't have the expense of changing coils. They dont wear out. I tried all of the fixes. Nothing helped. Even changed coils. I got very good with a napkin to contain the liquid. I bought a package of coils as backup. One day, I decided that after 8 months it might be time to change a coil (not that it needed it). Immediately, no leakage at all. None. I put the old coil back in. Leaking. New coil, no leak. I am convinced my massive leaking problem is due to variations in oring manufacturing. It is strictly coil dependent. Hope this helps someone. Been on this non leaking coil for 6 months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread