Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
that looks ok but you can make it further out, closer to the edge of the deck

it is normal for a tight micro to read much lower before it is oxidized, the wraps are shorting, that's why you need to pulse it and skewer it to get it to oxidize evenly breaking the shorts, it will then read higher and should read as if it was an open spaced wind once it's fully oxidized

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
As to (1) - I am not sure, maybe some hot spots that the pulsing sorted out. I do find after pulsing and sorting the coil out, the resistance is higher, but not that much.

Regarding (2) - I always take the wire tails around the insides of the posts, but around the back - not as yours on the front part. Just feels more natural. I have a mandrel in the coil, laying it down on the deck walls and holding with one finger. Tails are quite long, which I then take right around and hold tight with another finger. Tighten the screw. Same with the other tail. Make sure the tail ends do not touch the cap after cutting.

I tend to build my coils right on the edge of the drain hole.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Hey, they both actually look pretty good...it's a fairly "forgiving" atty.
As mentioned, my only comments are
a) You could stick a mandrel back through the coil and just pull it outward to the edge a TINY little bit more...
b) Be careful about snipped ends not shorting against the cap - I don't see any, but especially when you wrap around the "left" one clockwise with the threading, a little wire can peek out from the screw and short against the cap!
c) Initial low ohms is odd - I've had initial high ohms from not having fully tightened...but if it's solid and stable now, I wouldn't worry about it.

Do one more ohms check with the CAP ON before firing on a mech - just to check for that cap/wire short, and I'll bet your build will vape just fine!

(light on the wick, frequent squonking)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Take a quick pic!
What is DLH?

Don't have any pic taken... but they're not really needed. High center is high center. Building it over the side with the larger deck just off the posts will center it. I build them with RxW, KGD or CC with a little longer wick tails... they can be mono micro or ugly, or either same gauge/two gauge parallel coils from standard Kanthal, or with twisted or ribbon. Just pay attention to the coils height so you don't build too high and short out the coil on the top cap. With this build higher gets the most out of it as the air passes the coil taking the vapor right up to the drip tip with less air turbulence for a denser, flavor rich vapor. It also seems to create less condensation of liquid in the chamber that can overheat and may foul the flavor. Just my opinions of this build so far, but in time if it proves out I expect to use these builds in all of my Chalice atty's as the standard builds for them.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I'm considering buying a chalice...something I never thought I'd do. But I'm giving single coils another shot. They work great in mantas. But something about that unicorn chalice.. calling...

It's a quality vape, sloth. Very different from your 22mm open air setups, as I'm sure you know. Close your eyes and channel your inner RM2 experience.

I run a spearmint juice in one that I wouldn't even consider in something bigger and more aggressive (it would sandblast my uvula off... and no, that's not a dirty thing to say). The taste is very refined, like drinking homemade root beer from the Lexington Candy Shop in NYC as opposed to no-name root beer from Costco.

Plus... it's a Chalice. I mean, c'mon. The Grail of atties. King Arthur's vape. That's gotta have appeal.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I'm considering buying a chalice...something I never thought I'd do. But I'm giving single coils another shot. They work great in mantas. But something about that unicorn chalice.. calling...

Rob at REO has them in stock. They are also the ones with the slightly larger air holes, and shorter drip tip. Evidently the first runs of the "3", were smaller holed, with taller drip tip. I'm still waiting for some stock on the post screws.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Rob at REO has them in stock. They are also the ones with the slightly larger air holes, and shorter drip tip. Evidently the first runs of the "3", were smaller holed, with taller drip tip. I'm still waiting for some stock on the post screws.

You can get Ch III post screws at VapinArt. $6 each, I believe.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

The Chalice II and III's have pretty much made all my other single coil bf atty's obsolete. Only reason some of them are still around is I need more than the 6 on hand to replace the rest of them.

A bonus buying them now... Rob has lowered the price on the remaining stock of Chalice III's.

It's a quality vape, sloth. Very different from your 22mm open air setups, as I'm sure you know. Close your eyes and channel your inner RM2 experience.

I run a spearmint juice in one that I wouldn't even consider in something bigger and more aggressive (it would sandblast my uvula off... and no, that's not a dirty thing to say). The taste is very refined, like drinking homemade root beer from the Lexington Candy Shop in NYC as opposed to no-name root beer from Costco.

Plus... it's a Chalice. I mean, c'mon. The Grail of atties. King Arthur's vape. That's gotta have appeal.

Spearmint juice sounds quite inviting Papa. Probably a Canadian mix though, and we all know the hassle of getting things into and out of Canada can run long.

I have both VI and VIII Chalice III's, and you nailed some differences between them. Intake size has not been an issue - I don't use the factory drip tips on any of mine except the CII, and my DT guy will be making me a custom for it next run.

Reactions: xtreme101

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
and spydro you direct lung hit it eh? I don't mind tight, so long as I can lung hit. I'm not sure what my manta airflow size is when it's fully open in single coil mode, but it is on the border of lung hittable and not in my opinion. I've been hitting it both ways. But I really prefer lung hit even if it's quite restrictive.

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
and spydro you direct lung hit it eh? I don't mind tight, so long as I can lung hit. I'm not sure what my manta airflow size is when it's fully open in single coil mode, but it is on the border of lung hittable and not in my opinion. I've been hitting it both ways. But I really prefer lung hit even if it's quite restrictive.

Sloth, I only lung hit... long ones to completely fill my lungs no matter which atty I use, same as with cigs and pipes I smoked for over 50 years. With the AFC set wide open on the III's they are a little restrictive when compared to some of my other small footprint single coil atty's that have bigger holes than stock drilled in them. But it's not enough to bother me at all. I have very strong lungs from a lifetime of high energy sports, scuba diving, high elevation mountain climbing, etc, so the extra time it takes to fill my lungs all the way on the III's is not a problem at all for me. So a guess is that if you can do a somewhat longer draw than on your big air atty's comfortably you should be able to lung hit the III's.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a Chalice. It's a risky move for me; I'm used to more air. However, I'm beginning to find myself wanting to like restricted air. Partly because I'm getting kinda sick of dealing with spitback - I get some amount on virtually every open air setup I use. Also, I haven't touched an RM2 or similar atty since going to wide open airflow attys; I'm wondering if I'm actually "missing" anything in my flavors. I could always try an RM2 again since I have a couple but as snobbish as it sounds I just hate RM2s. After using high quality atomizers made of SS, the RM2 is almost like a joke IMO.

I figure if I don't like it enough to use it all the time, it can't hurt to have the holy grail of attys in my collection. Or at least one high quality restricted airflow single coil atty.

ETA I guess I'm feeling a draw towards more of a flavor chaser approach to vaping. Higher ohms, less air, better battery life all sound good to me, especially if flavor's awesome. I also find my throat is feeling irritated in the long term from constantly inhaling massive amounts of vapor on these .3 setups.

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a Chalice. It's a risky move for me; I'm used to more air. However, I'm beginning to find myself wanting to like restricted air. Partly because I'm getting kinda sick of dealing with spitback - I get some amount on virtually every open air setup I use. Also, I haven't touched an RM2 or similar atty since going to wide open airflow attys; I'm wondering if I'm actually "missing" anything in my flavors. I could always try an RM2 again since I have a couple but as snobbish as it sounds I just hate RM2s. After using high quality atomizers made of SS, the RM2 is almost like a joke IMO.

I figure if I don't like it enough to use it all the time, it can't hurt to have the holy grail of attys in my collection. Or at least one high quality restricted airflow single coil atty.

ETA I guess I'm feeling a draw towards more of a flavor chaser approach to vaping. Higher ohms, less air, better battery life all sound good to me, especially if flavor's awesome. I also find my throat is feeling irritated in the long term from constantly inhaling massive amounts of vapor on these .3 setups.
The Chalice 3 is probably still my favorite atty ever. It will take some getting use to if you've been lung hitting .3 ohm builds, but it's worth it. The quality is just amazing, no possibility of leaking ever (unless you hold it upside down and squonk it to hell), and great flavor/vapor. I actually get just as much vapor from it as any other atty, including 22mm dual coils (but I MTL, and I can really only fit so much vapor in my mouth). One thing to note- the flavor is very different... I wouldn't necessarily say more flavor than some other atties, but all your juices will taste different. Some for the better and some not.
Also, I know a lot of people run them 1 ohm and higher, but I actually prefer .6ohm twisted coil. Give just the right amount of heat for me. So, like with anything, if you're feeling meh about it at 1 ohm, try lower (or higher)- makes a big difference in the Chalice.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
The Chalice 3 is probably still my favorite atty ever. It will take some getting use to if you've been lung hitting .3 ohm builds, but it's worth it. The quality is just amazing, no possibility of leaking ever (unless you hold it upside down and squonk it to hell), and great flavor/vapor. I actually get just as much vapor from it as any other atty, including 22mm dual coils (but I MTL, and I can really only fit so much vapor in my mouth). One thing to note- the flavor is very different... I wouldn't necessarily say more flavor than some other atties, but all your juices will taste different. Some for the better and some not.
Also, I know a lot of people run them 1 ohm and higher, but I actually prefer .6ohm twisted coil. Give just the right amount of heat for me. So, like with anything, if you're feeling meh about it at 1 ohm, try lower (or higher)- makes a big difference in the Chalice.
Definitely curious about the flavor. I wonder what Wakonda tastes like in a Chalice. :)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I pretty much only vape Wakonda in the Chalice now-- in fact, that's what made me totally fall in love with it!
What twisted wire are you running? Curious as to what kinda wire those screws will capture.

Wakonda in a Chalice...that has such a divine ring to it.

Reactions: JC Okie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread