Challice V3 Cloned - under $12

Status
Not open for further replies.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
I'll not wade into the clone vs. authentic debate - but, I will point out that Rob's RM attys are clones modified for BF.

edit: fasttech now has the Chalice III clone listed:
$15.97 Chalice III Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And, while not a 1:1 copy, the REO has been cloned by Scans Tech in the form of the Kui mod.

nn9d4Iz.jpg

Last edited:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Boo! Hope your happy with it.. pretty soon there won't be any creative people designing anything useful and we will be at the mercy of China bringing us crap vaping!

He'll supertmanufacturing is closing it's doors cause of this. A usa ecig manufacturer that's been around since 2009 making top quality tube mods and drip tips.

Anyone even remotely thinking about designing anything ecig related has to be thinking twice doing such a venture.. why would anyone?

How would anyone compete with China thst devalues there dollop by half so they can own the manufacturing world?

Swamper

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Glendora n.j. USA
I myself prefer the real deal but so many of our young ones who have taken loans for an education then come to find that the jobs aren't there and if they do find work the $20.00 hr. job is only paying $12.00. Cost of living is up, cost of living pay raises we recieved no longer exist for our children today. Full time jobs have become part time jobs, there's health ins., transportation, wow I'm going to stop now. Our goverment has made it so we can't compete (business, etc. etc. etc.) so there's China. They dream of a $150.00 chalice but reality is $15.00, we worked hard we got paid, they work hard their pay is being taken, they are in trouble,I'm done rant.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I myself prefer the real deal but so many of our young ones who have taken loans for an education then come to find that the jobs aren't there and if they do find work the $20.00 hr. job is only paying $12.00. Cost of living is up, cost of living pay raises we recieved no longer exist for our children today. Full time jobs have become part time jobs, there's health ins., transportation, wow I'm going to stop now. Our goverment has made it so we can't compete (business, etc. etc. etc.) so there's China. They dream of a $150.00 chalice but reality is $15.00, we worked hard we got paid, they work hard their pay is being taken, they are in trouble,I'm done rant.

Go buy a pack of cigarettes or stick to a cigalike. Ego? :)

Reactions: snork

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
That annoys me.

Seeing some cheap scape trying to copy a Reo annoys me too. Rob thought of it; designed it; PATENTED IT; uses it (original prototype); and he stands by it. Thieves and Scumbags can copy all they want, but they'll never have my business -- even if their stolen ideas are $30. That's $30 towards a tried, true, and reliable Reo Grand. Nothing beats a Reo! Nothing. o_O

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Just another perspective - not arguing with anyone...
- Reo and Chalice share some things in common in this conversation

I paid for a Chalice, and while it's not my favorite atty, it IS unquestionably a device that is distinguished by both innovative design and quality of manufacture. If you like a MTL draw, you should try one. But the clone very likely won't provide the same experience, because part of the performance is due to VERY high quality production that you simply won't get in a copy.

Similarly, the REO was groundbreaking in design, and maintains its reputation by delivering uncompromised qualty.

You cannot defend a U.S. patent against Chinese manufacture - but if you deliver
a) exceedingly high quality
b) good customer service
c) continual upgrades and version innovation
and also important,
d) If quality of manufacture directly impacts the device performance...

Then you are SOMEWHAT protected against cloning attacking your customer base.

Both REO and Chalice share those features.

I don't have a problem buying a clone of a typical atomizer, to see if I like the design, and I might buy the original, or might be satisfied with the clone if it's well executed. But with REO and Chalice, what attracts me is too dependent on the quality. I have no interest in a clone of either, because it is SURE to give up some key features - those that depend on care and high quality and dependability, etc.

So...a clone of a new atty to try out? Sure.
Clone of a REO or a Chalice? Nah. Not for me...

And I understand the idea of "I want to try a bottom feeder for $20". But when I decided to try a bottom feeder, it was partly because I believed all the posters describing it as a "forever" mod. Got one. It's my main vape. Getting another.
Had I bought a clone, and if it worked, I would probably still have bought a Reo by now. Glad I didn't waste that time.

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
To join the unintentioned clone v auth argument.. I would not soon buy a cloned Chalice III, nor Nuppin', and especially not a cloned Reo. There are a few reasons -

First is that the clone does not benefit the people who put hard work into design and re-design. Rob, Mark Bugs, and Peter put serious thought and effort into their works, and they deserve to make a decent dime off that alone.
Second is that the clone is never a better version, except for poorly designed originals. None of my "would never buy a cloned.." fall here. Case in point: How would cloners improve the Chalice III? Make it dual coil! Add an air hole for the second coil! Enlarge the airflow control! Slot those wire captures! Anyone who owns a Chalice III or most any similarly sized atty will see the problems there, and likely walked away to cry at the stupidity. I am not even going to talk about the fact that the clone would leak juice from the 510 connection and the base-chimney joint.
Third is questionable materials. My Reos have the new contacts and 510. The positive contact, specifically, is gold-plated BeCu. A cloner would use brass-plated leaded spring steel or, at best, gold-plated brass. Why do I care? Because the core matters big-time. Another questionable materials issue with clones.. One of my Nuppin's is Naval Brass. It's gotta be Naval Brass because that is _the only semi-common brass that's unleaded, and I don't want leaded juice. Would a cloned brass Nuppin' be unleaded? No, it would be normal brass - 2% lead is simply too much for my comfort.

All that said, I will continue to buy certain clones, for instance likely a Derringer. Why? Because the makers didn't bother to market to my niche. Neither did (most of) the cloners, but if I'm going to buy a product that requires or had modification, I'll probably just buy the cheaper version.
I will also buy clones that I think are optimizations or valid re-engineering of existing designs. For instance, if the Chalice III v8*10^10xyzblahblahblah re-designer magically makes the airflow plenum more generous without sacrificing structure or risking me shorting, and manages to get the threads machined so the airhole never bottoms to a post (this will be the beginning and end of 1/3Chalice clones), I will jump on it. Will that happen? No.. the cloners, as I said, will add air holes, kazoos, and poor/mismatched machining.

So all in all, I'll buy clones where I'm confident of receiving the appropriate material, don't care much about the quality of machining, and don't appreciate the original designers' lack of consideration for my application.

Last edited:
Reactions: Train2

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
More than likely, the picture is just a copy and pasted photo of the authentic.

I saw a photo of the "clone". It looked EXACTLY like the real thing, but didn't have the Chalice III engraved on it. The photo showed the whole thing, then the different parts disassembled. If you look closely at the picture of the cap, which is photographed from the top, you can see the engraved logo, they forgot to photoshop that out of the picture.

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread