Changes to vaping....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradster

Jan 11, 2013
Australia
Hi peeps been over a year since I been on here. Started vaping over 2 1/2 years ago on ego c spinners. And c3 clearomisers.

I moved on to a vamo v2 and v3 a couple of epipes (we're #$&!) with an f16 tank and 2.8 ohm cartomizer. Been vaping bacco juices happily for years. ( wife still uses spinners and c3's ).
One day fee weeks back was browsing my go to Cape store for something different. There is this new thing called sub ohm vaping, I search the net read posts watch video's. I bit the bullet and bought a subbox mini.

The sub tank has wayyyyy too much air flow for me I like to mtl long draws and savour the flavour like an analogue the subbox is working great with my f16 2.8ohm however but can only use between 7 - 10 w although way better than the vamo I feel a waste of a device I can't use to full potential.

Am I the only one that still uses cartos?

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I started with the ego (non spinner) and c3. Moved up to the spinners and T2's and then to vamo v3 and protank 2. Moved up to the MVP's and a couple of Provari but still use the PT2's exclusively.

I have taken a few hits from sub ohm systems and like you I prefer the mouth to lung, savor the flavor experience.

For me it's a trade off between taste, cost and convenience. The PT2's give me enough flavor to keep me off the analogs, rebuilding the coils is super cheap, and it only takes a few seconds to change out the coil.

Here's a sub forum for cartomizers Cartomizers | E-Cigarette Forum

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
No, @bradster. There are quite a few folks who are still stockpiled with cartos. After I meandered about in my very early vape journey, I did acquire a bunch of inexpensive cartos that I was using on my cigalikes. That was short-lived when I discovered tanks and their ease of filling and using. Kept the cartos, and glad I did. I recently got an inexpensive bottom-feed mod, and I only had one topper that's suitable. Popped a carto on the mod to see how it would work, and by golly, it's not too bad. I'd still prefer a BF rebuildable atty, but until I get around to finding one, the 50+ cartos I have laying around will suffice.

bradster

Jan 11, 2013
Australia
I did go to a vivi nova for s long time. Then tried pro tank 2 didn't go much on it but works ok in my epipe mech mod at 1.5ohm, went to cartos haven't looked back till now.

Been reading s bit and people still like the protank 2 filled it with honey nut tabacco and tried it on the sub box lowest setting 7.0w with 1.5ohm coil, flavour was amazing way better than cartos but after couple hits seemed like it was getting bit dry so can't chain Cape.

I use 24mg Nic juice am waiting for some 24mg and 11mg Nic that I can use 50/50 with my doublers as I made myself Nic sick within an hour with the subtank

Reactions: DergBerg

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Been vaping for nearly 2 yrs and have recently won in a raffle a mini Subox with Subtank. Got both sizes of Nautilus and a Tobh too. Got a Cool Fire 4, VaporShark rDNA30, and an iStick 30. What am I vaping on most often? A Protank 2 or Davide with AFC and my homemade coil with cellucotton at 9-10 watts.....on an MVP 20 watt or a ProVari 2.5. Just can't take the Tootle Puffer out of me! :)

Bookworm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
USA
Lots of us still use cartos and carto tanks. You can find some decent clearance sales right now so I am stocking up for the future.

I love the looks of the Subox, but don't wanna subohm with the Subtank. I'm definitely a tootle puffer who vapes at very low watts (I've never vaped above 8, and usually stay a lot lower than that). But I did hear that the new version of the Subtank has the ability to close off the airflow a lot more and can be used for MTL vaping.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
A nice big battery is good for a 2.8 ohm because you can get a lot of battery life from it.

I would not say the battery/mod is a waste just because you can go to a high power setting that you don't need

with the 2.8 ohm clearomizers.

In the future you have a potential to go higher on the power if you mite get interested in a different atomizer---say like

Atlantis or many of the other choices we have that mite go to .5 or lower------good choice your purchase....

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Bet you don't turn your VAMO all the way up either with those cartos. So why would it bother you if a PV can be set to a bazillion watts?!? The only thing that matters is how well it works at the power range that you want.

Right now I'm using a 50w PV set at 6.1 watts. WHY?? Because it tastes the way I want it to taste at 6.1 watts.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 21, 2013
    chattanooga, tn, usa
    What are your thoughts on the subtank?

You use a protank 2 at 9-10 w? I start getting dry hits at 7w on subbox mini.

Yeah I think I'm an old skool tootle puffer.

Bradster, just changed the ProTank 2 on AFC with 1.6 ohm 30 gauge coil wicked with cellu from the MVP 20watt vaping at 3.9 volts = 9.5 watts....whew!.....to the Subox with same settings.

I like the Subtank, but rebuilding the OCC coils is taking a little getting use to. Am doing the horizontal coils as the verticals are beyond my capabilities. Am using a larger inner diameter for the coils and still trying to figure out just how much cellu cotton to use. Have the newer RTA deck with the holes in the side and the screw to hold the cap on. I'm using 28 gauge wire and may try 26. Once I learn to properly coil and wick the Subtank, think it will be just a fine snazzy atty addition to my gear supply. Oh, and I'm using the middle air hole for my MTL toots and find I'm raising my watt level to 11-14 which is "high flying" for me!

I wanted the Subox Mini and Subtank because of the easily to replace battery, the wonderful "hand comfort", the OCC's I could learn to rebuild if I couldn't buy them anymore, plus the RTA. But then, being a woman, I enjoyed the aesthetics of the entire setup too. Ha! Now there's different colored o-rings and glass (Bedazzle Glass Tubes is a favorite place to go for some decorated glass) and silicone skins to protect finish. I'm having a blast making a pretty setup. :)

DergBerg

ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2015
    instagram.com
    What are your thoughts on the subtank?

You use a protank 2 at 9-10 w? I start getting dry hits at 7w on subbox mini.

Yeah I think I'm an old skool tootle puffer.

As a rebuilder, super sub ohmer, I am REALLY impressed with the subtank. Honestly, if you have the 1.2 ohm coil on you, dial the airflow control way back and work your wattage up from 7watts (or stay there! lol) In my opinion, the airflow can be shut off enough for mouth to lung hits. Also, getting used to this device will give you great flexibility! Vape shops everywhere have coils in stock for it, which is sadly no longer the case with cartos.

Let me know how this works! Good luck! :D cheers.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    You have not fully explored your Subtank

You can purchase 1.2ohm heads and throttle the air flow to completely closed.

That is the advantage of a well designed tank. It can slowly bring your to another level of enjoyment.
    How do I know? I was where you are and thought the first open air device I tried was ridiculous.
    Now I use Orchid Tanks with Dual coils and Dual air intakes. I still mouth to Lung.

Available coils I have found:
    1.2ohm
    1.0ohm
    0.8ohm
    0.5ohm
    and of course a build deck which can allow customized builds.

Reactions: DergBerg

bradster

Jan 11, 2013
    Australia
    Different coils operate at different wattages.

I'm using the standard 1.8ohm in the protank 2. I have never rebuilt

You have not fully explored your Subtank

You can purchase 1.2ohm heads and throttle the air flow to completely closed.

That is the advantage of a well designed tank. It can slowly bring your to another level of enjoyment.
    How do I know? I was where you are and thought the first open air device I tried was ridiculous.
    Now I use Orchid Tanks with Dual coils and Dual air intakes. I still mouth to Lung.

Available coils I have found:
    1.2ohm
    1.0ohm
    0.8ohm
    0.5ohm
    and of course a build deck which can allow customized builds.

I'm using 1.5ohm coil it came with.

I've been having a bit of a play with it over the last couple days and must say I am getting used to the light draw, and even more comfortable with dl but I don't get as much flavour as I do with mtl.

Just have a 1-2 second draw opposed to my normal 8-10 sec hit

But I am waiting for my shipment of lower Nic juice as the 24mg is way too strong in the subtank

Thanks guys I think I'm going enjoy it might even venture into building

DergBerg

ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2015
    instagram.com
    I'm using the standard 1.8ohm in the protank 2. I have never rebuilt

I'm using 1.5ohm coil it came with.

I've been having a bit of a play with it over the last couple days and must say I am getting used to the light draw, and even more comfortable with dl but I don't get as much flavour as I do with mtl.

Just have a 1-2 second draw opposed to my normal 8-10 sec hit

But I am waiting for my shipment of lower Nic juice as the 24mg is way too strong in the subtank

Thanks guys I think I'm going enjoy it might even venture into building

The lower nicotine will help! I found 6 great in the subtank.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Am I the only one that still uses cartos?

Last year I posted a poll on ECF that asked: What type of hardware do you use the most? Of the about 300 people who entered data, about 11% used cartos

Of course that's a small sample of the active posters on ECF at the time and only those who check out the poll area could vote. OTOH, I suspect it would be a bit less today.

Maybe another poll is in order ... :)

The Eciginator

Ultra Member
    Jul 27, 2015
    Last year I posted a poll on ECF that asked: What type of hardware do you use the most? Of the about 300 people who entered data, about 11% used cartos

Of course that's a small sample of the active posters on ECF at the time and only those who check out the poll area could vote. OTOH, I suspect it would be a bit less today.

Maybe another poll is in order ... :)

Everything changes so fast in this hobby, 3 years ago I started with cartos, then clearos, etc. etc.:D

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 29, 2014
    Virginia
    I started vaping last summer, just as the use of carto's was almost phased out. I got a pack of boge cartos with my very first vape order, but couldn't get the darn things to wick right! Shortly after, I switched to full size and mini protanks. The full size protank is suppose to just be a bigger version of the mini (everything else equal), but IMO the mini has noticeably better flavor. I still use it to this day.

I have since moved onto RTA (kayfun), but still use my mini protank daily as a secondary flavor. About 6 months ago, I think vaping took a big step. The coils went from being silica to organic cotton. At the same time, the vaping industry began catering to cloud chasers and lung hitters.

The subtank mini, atlantis, Lemo 2 are all sub ohm tanks with big airflow. They're great tanks if you're a lung hitter, but they won't give you a tight draw with the best flavor like the previous generation equipment. I hope this changes, or they keep selling the older stuff.

If you're a mouth to lung vaper, I'd recommend going with the last great mouth to lung tanks before the big cloud chasing evolution. These were the Kanger Aerotanks and Aspire Nautilus/Nautilus Mini. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the coils for these tanks are now made with japanese cotton as well.

If you're looking into rebuilding, I think the last great flavor RTA's were the Kayfun Lite (I have a clone), and the Lemo 1. I just got the Lemo 1 last week, and even though I like my Kayfun better, the Lemo has a decent draw on it's tightest setting, and pretty good flavor.

The only time I here about cartos these days is when someone mentions the one from IBtanked. It was pretty popular a while back. A friend of mine had one, but he all the stuff he didn't use anymore in an ebay lot a year ago, and that was in it.

I'm sure that's higher due to this being an enthusiasts forum. If you polled the entire vaping population, I'm sure it would be less than 1%. I've never actually seen a carto tank in person before. Everyone I know uses a maintstream tank (Kanger, Aspire) or a dripper.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MaxwellPink
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread