Chantix lawsuits headed to court

Status
Not open for further replies.

slojas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2012
Saskatoon
Thanks for the sentiments, lotta love here:blush:.

The fallout was rather positive, I was able to regain my sanity, marriage and employment, the scaphoid bone took almost 9 months to heal though (painful little bugger).
The doctor involved was replaced and informed of the reasons for her replacement.

The Chantix obliterated my nuerotransmitter levels and left me in an irrational, self loathing, rage, I have no problems with the drug being taken off the market and the manufacturer taken to court, this stuff is more dangerous than smoking ever was.

As for vaping, I am happy to report that I am a 100% full time vaper, just got some new vape mail today and am already waiting for payday to try even more gadgets and juices, my first PV kit was recieved on Febuary 23rd 2012 so my 2 month anniversary will be on Monday. I used to smoke 12 to 15 cigs a day, so- 56 day x say about 13 smokes per day = 728 anologs avoided.

Had a bad bout of pneumonia in 2008, ended up in hospital for 2 weeks, since then I had occasional pains in my lower left lung where the infection was (very scary pains).
Bronchitis was just a part a part of life and would occur any time I got a cold, which was often because my kids bring home every virus known to man from school.
Fingers constantly stank and my bottom front teeth had a very noticable tar stains on them, thrush like film would develop on the back of my tounge constantly and would need daily scraping.

Currently-
No more pains, No more Bronchitis and I can resist the kids colds, fingers smell like normal fingers, tar almost gone from bottom teeth, thrush on tounge gone.

I'm like a runaway vape train now :vapor:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I have a question.
How many people must die or suffer serious health effects
before the FDA will ban one of their approved poisons?

I probably didn't say that right, but ya understand what
I'm getting at. There has to be some kind of criteria.

Far more then li-ion battery failure in ecigs lol

Ecigs really are much safer then 99% of the fda approved drugs on the market

panachronic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
WA
Great news! hope pfizer loses a good half billion on this one at least, I want to see the day where all these ****heads go out of business, that's REAL health reform right there!

Based on some of the stories I've heard, I wouldn't have a problem with it if there was some criminal liability. When a company hurts or kills people, and keeps on doing it when they know there is a problem, I don't think an award of money damages is sufficient. The guilty party just passes the cost on to their next round of victims.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I have a question.
How many people must die or suffer serious health effects
before the FDA will ban one of their approved poisons?

I probably didn't say that right, but ya understand what
I'm getting at. There has to be some kind of criteria.
Since no one jumped in ...
I guess there's no criteria or formula.

Since the FDA is owned by BP ... Maybe the decision to pull (in this case)
Chantix from the market would have to be approved by Pfizer ??
:confused:

Last edited:

slojas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2012
Saskatoon
For those wondering how Chantix/Champix works, (Pharm name- Varencline, Class- Anti-psychotic)

Chantix's/Champix main mechanism of operation is to partially activate the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, these are our nicotine receptors. The idea is that by partially activating nicotine receptors the craving to smoke is diminished, that is all well and good but the secondary action is where things get deadly.

The secondary action of Chantix/Champix is to block the neurotransmitter Dopamine from being triggered when taking in Nicotine, except it goes further than that and actually lowers Dopamine levels overall.

Neurotransmitters are the chemicals which allow the transmission of signals from one neuron to the next across synapses, a persons mood depends on what neurotransmitter or mixture of neurotransmitters is present at any given time. people who suffer from depression are shown to have abnormally low levels of certain critical neurotransmitters like Dopamine, Serotonin and GABA while people with Schizophrenia are shown to have abnormally high levels of these neurotransmitters. For an example of neurotransmitter effect, the drug Ecstasy forces the brain to release massive amounts of Serotonin for a short period of time.

Dopamine is the neurotransmitter responsible for feelings of pride and self worth, when you work hard and accomplish something difficult that "good" feeling is the brain releasing extra Dopamine for the neurons to fire through. Dopamine in high levels commonly results in feelings of euphoria and highly social behavior, paranoia and psychosis can occur as well as seen in addicts that use drugs linked to severely increasing Dopamine levels.

1 in 6 North Americans suffer from depression at any given time and nearly 100% will suffer depression at some point in their life, the state of being depressed is a state of having low neurotransmitters of one type while sometimes having abnormally high levels of stress related neurotransmitters.

Neurotransmitters do not function independently, a decrease or increase of one neurotransmitter will affect the level of all neurotransmitters and in turn affect a persons behavior and feeling of well being.

Chantix/Champix causes a drastic drop in Dopamine, this in turn lowers ones self worth, motivation and social skills, now this in turn causes stress, stress causes the pituitary gland to increase the production of andrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), which in turn stimulates the release of cortisone and cortisol hormones which in turn will suppresses immune system function and lower levels of Epinephrine, Norepinephrine, GABA and Serotonin.
That's where things get really bad, you can't sleep and when you can sleep vivid or terrifying nightmares occur, you start to become defensive and critical, everything becomes a life or death action, you get overly critical of yourself and lose confidence in turn becoming insecure and ashamed, you feel sick all the time, you ether start eating everything in sight or lose to will to eat almost entirely, you try to smoke to ease the pain but the Chantix has blocked the positive effects of the nicotine so you smoke more without relief, your family and friends get sick of your crap, your co-workers want you dead and you, in your blind, mentally crippled, stupor start to have thoughts of escape with only 2 options- suicide or dangerous narcotics, life has become pure pain and every day you struggle through the suffering without realizing what is going on because the very core of your mind has been corrupted.

ZYBAN (Pharm name-Wellbutrin Class-anti-depressant) on the other hand only works to increase neurotransmitter levels* and block Nicotine from getting to the nicotine receptors in turn removing the satisfaction of the cigarette but can cause nervousness and anxiety due to elevated levels of Norepinephrine along with negative sensitivity to Caffeine, the risk of seizure is elevated for those whose suffer from Epilepsy or are prone to seizure, the catastrophic drop in neurotransmitters leading to suicide do not occur with Champix.
*(Blocks re-uptake of dopamine raising levels overall and increases production of Norepinephrine while binding to the nicotine recepters and blocking nicotine from attaching to them. low levels of Norepinephrine are indicated in cases of ADHD)

-proofreading... meh good enuff..submit.

Last edited:

panachronic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
WA
My drug of choice was wellbutrin, I was on it for 2 wks before SWMBO said will your please stop that stuff. Found out I had a nasty streak on drugs of that family and didn't really think I was being that bad while I was taking it.

:vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

I took Wellbutrin for a while, for depression. The stuff isn't cheap. I found it to be moderately effective, but it took a relatively long time before I saw any benefit. I'm surprised that anything at all - good or bad - happened for you in just two weeks. I didn't find out it was a smoking cessation aid until after I'd stopped taking it. While I was on it, I didn't notice any change in my urge to smoke, so I guess I'm glad I wasn't taking it for that reason.

Reading your story (and having read many, many others like it) just reaffirms my belief that medical science does not understand these mind-altering drugs well enough for doctors to be passing them out the way they do. The effects are too unpredictable, and the side effects are too dangerous. It pisses me off that they gamble with our well-being this way. (Although, I note that the drug companies do not gamble with their profits. They make their money even when the treatment fails.)

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Old saying ...
When doing research, the last person you want to talk to is the salesman.

Most doctors learn about drugs from the drug pushing
pharmaceutical sales reps.

It would be interesting to hear from those who took Chantix

Tell us about the discussion with your with your doctor.
1. Did you or your doctor suggest Chantix?
2. Briefly tell us about the discussion with your doctor depth and length
of discussion including if your doctor probed for past medical conditions
3. Were you comfortable with the doctor's working knowledge of Chantix?
4. Did you find getting a script for Chantix was quick and easy?
5. Were there any follow-up visits to evaluate progress and or concerns?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Chantix's/Champix main mechanism of operation is to partially activate the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, these are our nicotine receptors.

Makes you wonder- if the creator put them there and put tobacco on the planet, he may have known there was a need for both. We just created the problem by smoking it.

As far as Zyban is concerned, for me it was the perfect quit smoking drug. After 10 days or so, I had absolutely no desire to smoke, I didn't even miss the hand to mouth after a short transition period where I'd light up and take a couple drags and put it out. Soon that went away. However, after my prescription ran out, I was edgy and soon back on smokes. So much for the theory of nicotine addiction broken in a few days. I suppose I should have been diagnosed for depression, although I never felt I had that problem, so the Pharma industry could have ?helped? me.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
For those wondering how Chantix/Champix works, (Pharm name- Varencline, Class- Anti-psychotic) Chantix's/Champix main mechanism of operation is to partially activate the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, these are our nicotine receptors. .....................................

Thanks for this very good explanation.

If possible, could you point me towards a reference that states Champix is not varenicline tartrate (Chantix)? Thanks.

jdrewry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
New Jersey
I found it cheaper for me to vape than to buy the prescriptions for Welbutrin and Chantix. Not to mention, I got to avoid those tendencies to rage against those closest to me.

I now tell my doctor not to worry about my smoking or vaping. I don't smoke anymore, and he doesn't truly believe in e-cigs. Just take my temperature, and give me my Blood Pressure meds, please.

slojas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2012
Saskatoon
Thanks for this very good explanation.

If possible, could you point me towards a reference that states Champix is not varenicline tartrate (Chantix)? Thanks.

"that states Champix is not varenicline tartrate (Chantix)?" As far as I know, Champix and Chantix are basically identical, I think the difference is that Champix and Chantix are marketed in different countries, like an auto manufacturer marketing the same car in two different countries under a different name.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Hoo-boy! Having made sufficient numbers of smokers miserable, now Pfizer is moving on to drinkers. Ad seen today in a Washington DC Paper:

No, Chantix does not reduce or increase my desire to have a drink.

Chantix is effective. It helped me quit 3 or 4 times. Problem is I always started up again (do they include relapse when they publish those numbers?).

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Americans are the most drug addicted society on the planet
AKA: Rant and Preaching to the Choir

We have drugs for every ailment and discomfort known to man-kind.
Heck, BP (as we speak) are thinking up discomforts so they can
bring more drugs to market.

Americans, no longer, can even think of a discomfort without their
"drug of choice" coming to mind.

We have "good" drugs, "bad" drugs, and "slippery slope" drugs.
Thieves break into drug stores (not for money) but for the drugs.

Heck, doctors when discussing issues with their patients
will often ask, "What drug works best for you?"

We even have drugs that help us get off other drugs.

Personal (individual) motivation to quit smoking plays a "key role" in quitting.
This is a seldom discussed part of the equation when evaluating the
effectiveness of a drug.

Here's an interesting scenario
If some one is told if they smoked 1 more cigarette they will die
with in 24 hours .... I suggest few would be tempted to smoke
1 more and few would be concerned about withdrawal symptoms.
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread