Chantix works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlboro_Lite

Aug 9, 2009
People with a history of depression, bipolar disorder, or ANY mental health issue, even if no longer the case should avoid Chantix--it was not tested on people with mental health issues and this is why all these reports of changes in mood, depression, suicidal thoughts have come about. The vast vast majority of cases of these side effects are occurring on people who either take anti-depressants, have taken them because they were depressed or have or have had other mental health ailments. This is a strong chemical that alters receptors in the brain and dopamine levels--it is serious stuff, and people who have had mental health issues are more susceptible to such effects precisely because of what the pill does.

Otherwise, eating before taking the pill usually takes care of the nausea. I had no side effects from taking Chantix and was successful in quitting cigarettes--well the only side effect was the enhanced dreaming and that was frankly awesome. I looked forward to sleeping every night. It reacts differently to different people--it is important to talk to your doctor and keep a good line of communication going. I believe this is a great tool for a lot of people, if not the vast majority. I don't think it should be removed from the market. It should be made clear for who it is and who it isn't.

greenie

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Pacific Northwest
People with a history of depression, bipolar disorder, or ANY mental health issue, even if no longer the case should avoid Chantix--it was not tested on people with mental health issues and this is why all these reports of changes in mood, depression, suicidal thoughts have come about. The vast vast majority of cases of these side effects are occurring on people who either take anti-depressants, have taken them because they were depressed or have or have had other mental health ailments. This is a strong chemical that alters receptors in the brain and dopamine levels--it is serious stuff, and people who have had mental health issues are more susceptible to such effects precisely because of what the pill does.

Otherwise, eating before taking the pill usually takes care of the nausea. I had no side effects from taking Chantix and was successful in quitting cigarettes--well the only side effect was the enhanced dreaming and that was frankly awesome. I looked forward to sleeping every night. It reacts differently to different people--it is important to talk to your doctor and keep a good line of communication going. I believe this is a great tool for a lot of people, if not the vast majority. I don't think it should be removed from the market. It should be made clear for who it is and who it isn't.

I guess you were one of the few without any mental health issues and you ate well. good for you

Chantix made me feel like a zombie nor did it cure my nicotine cravings,nor did the patch or the gum.

I think there is a certain amount of will that needs to be summoned before quiting cigarettes. I was a very light smoker wanting to quit for health reasons but not wanting to for other reasons. I like the e-cig for giving me the best of both worlds.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
I tried Chantix 2X. Made me B!tchy, I had nightmares, and as soon as I got off of it I hade huge cravings. Wanted to smoke constantly (and I did). I would be curious to see surveys showing how many people who quit with Chantix are doing 3, 6, 12 months after getting off of it.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
According to this article, "The number of smokers who have still quit after a year falls by half to roughly one in four, compared with one in ten who were on a placebo." So, Chantix is 15% more effective than nothing. 25% are still not smoking after a year, but 75% are smoking again after a year. I don't know about others, but if someone tells me that I might kill myself or suffer a psychotic breakdown for a 25% chance of quitting smoking, most sane people would say no thanks. At least it now has its deserved black box warning.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I tried chantix last year. It made me sicker than a dog. I was so nauseated all the time and felt like puking every minute while I was on it. I gave it two long weeks and then I stopped taking it.

I also tried Wellbutrin. That made me crazy in the head. I was crying at everything, which I never do. I had crazy dreams that seemed so real. My hubby was freaking out from my behavior. I stopped that after 2 weeks also.

You were taking Wellbutrin, not Zyban? They are they same chemical (bupropion), but different dosages. Wellbutrin is usually prescribed in the dosage of 150 mg. 2 times a day for depression. The maximum recommend dose is 450 mg in 24 hours. Zyban is 75 mg 2 times a day as a smoking cessation aid. For people who have a tendency to experience deep depression when they discontinue nicotine, Zyban may be a sub-therapeutic dose of anti-depressant.

Of course, there is always the possibility that you metabolize bupropion differently than most people. I have a friend who is actually allergic to antihistimines.

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
I used Chantix and it helped me stop smoking. About 2 weeks after I got off of the drug, I turned into a MONSTER. I have no history of mental health issues and that drug turned me into someone who I hated. I actually told my wife and children that I hated them and wish they were not my family. I hated myself and everyone else around me. Talk about an .......!! I was the biggest one in the world. I picked up a cigarette and calmed down like a kitten.

For the folks Chantix helped, congratulations.....I just was not one of them.

With e-cigs, I haven't had a smoke in a few weeks!!!

damunster

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
I took Chantix (had none of the bad side effects except some REALLY good dreams) and stoped smoking for 9 months but I wanted a cig the whole time. I did start back (after nine months and a 35lb weight gain) and have started vaping. Been vaping for 3 months and love it. Sometimes I use nic and sometimes I don't, just depends on my mood. I have again gained weight but not because something is lacking. Its because I can taste again and food is so good. lol

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I used Chantix and it helped me stop smoking. About 2 weeks after I got off of the drug, I turned into a MONSTER. I have no history of mental health issues and that drug turned me into someone who I hated. I actually told my wife and children that I hated them and wish they were not my family. I hated myself and everyone else around me. Talk about an .......!! I was the biggest one in the world. I picked up a cigarette and calmed down like a kitten.

For the folks Chantix helped, congratulations.....I just was not one of them.

With e-cigs, I haven't had a smoke in a few weeks!!!

The exact same thing happened to me. I only took chantix for a couple weeks, quit smoking, then proceeded on a mental downward spiral for a month. Actually wound up in the hospital. Finally smoked a cigarette and i was like new again.

Quitting on Chantix made me afraid to quit smoking. I still can't tell how much of that was Chantix and how much was bad withdrawal. I tried quitting again a year later on NRT and no Chantix. I still had mood swings and cravings, so of course i started smoking again. It felt similar, though not NEARLY as bad, as when i was on Chantix.

I really think Chantix makes natural nicotine withdrawal worse, that would explain why it messes people up so much

I'd try Bupropion (active ingredient in Zyban and Wellbutrin) before I would Chantix. You can get generic, and it's got a longer track record. I'm always wary of new drugs, too much money to be made to get an accurate picture of what you're dealing with. Sustained-release Bupropion didn't make it a walk in the part to quit, but it helped greatly.

PhoenixRising

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
Concord, NC USA
Another one who tried Chantix and failed miserably. The only thing Chantix did for me was turn me into a (more) psychotic maniac. I am glad I got off of it when I did, otherwise I would be depressed, divorced, or dead. It was THAT bad. The only way I can think to explain it, not only was I devoid of nicotine, I was devoid of everything. I could not see happiness if it showed up at the door with balloons and a party hat. For me anyway (recognizing that we are sharing our own anecdotal experiences), Chantix is the worst thing that ever happened to me. To give it perspective, I would rather die of lung cancer than to ever go back on that drug. I would love to say that this is hyperbole, but it is not.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
As I understand it, Chantix works by blocking dopamine receptors to interfere with the "pleasure" you get from smoking. But those receptors are used for a lot more than pleasure.

'+alt+'

Deficits in Brain’s Reward System Observed in ADHD Patients

Low levels of dopamine markers may underlie symptoms; implications for treatment

Wife and I both did chantix, myself on and off for a long time. Upset stomach, lots of gas, tummy hurt quite often and sleep sucked, but it did make me not smoke. When I wanted to it was a disgusting waste. I would stay quit when off of the pill, gained tons of weight, but the one time I gave in it was like starting all over again and getting back on the pill. My problem is I enjoy smoking, but it was really wearing on me after 20 years. My wife took half does of my 1mg dose for 4.5 weeks and its going into her 3rd year of not smoking. (she only weighs 85 lbs)

No I didn't want to kill myself, but I was definately not me while dosed up on it. We are both much happier now that I am a vaper. I like my nicotine and I like how its deliverd now. The only mood changes I have is when I got no juice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread