Chantix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I took chantix for the 3 months required and had no side effects from it. I was able to quit analog cigs for a period of 5 months. I admit I did start again, but have not had a real cig for the lat 5 months, thanks to the e-cig.. Chantix will work great for some people, but not for everyone. The key is "willpower". I love my e-cig, a DSE 901b, but must admit they are not for everyone. There again, the key is "willpower". Weigh the pros and cons, and select what you feel is right for you. Experience is costly, but it's the only way for each individual to find what works for them. Bottom line: Chantix and e-cigs are not for everybody. Just my opinon.

Rick Smith

:confused:

I think the point people were making is that if the side-effects are unbearable, then you stop taking the drug. That has nothing to do with will-power. The whole point of the drug is that it is supposed to take care of those pesky cravings so that you don't need a boatload of will-power, but it accomplishes this by blocking dopamine receptors.

The theory behind this drug is that smokers only do it to "get high" and if you take away the pleasure, you extinguish the smoking behavior. The problem is that they ignored other functions of dopamine receptors, such as contributing to being able to self-regulate your mood (i.e. ward off depression and anxiety, keep you even-tempered instead of angry and irritable) and to assist in regulating memory and concentration. So folks who are prone to have problems with those things suffer through the worst of the so-called "withdrawal" symptoms while taking the drug and can't even resort to lighting up a cigarette for a little relief. Oh, they can light up, but it won't help.

So you were lucky on two fronts: No nasty side-effects and you are not one of the people who has severe mood, memory, and concentration problems when you abstain from nicotine.

I don't have any medical problems that cause chronic pain, so it is easy for me to have enough will-power to refrain from taking pain medication on a daily basis.

fatdad

Nov 30, 2009
Chester VA
I tries Chantix without any sid effects. I quit smoking for several months but then got back on the habit while working all day with smokers. I tried Chantix again. I did not work. The doctor that prescribed the product to me was himself a smoker and had to stop due to nightmares of an unfortunate event in his life. I have triead every know method known to man to give up analogs and none have had staying power. Electronic cigarettes I believe are my slavation.

Mordred

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
I have no first-hand experience of Chantix, but a friend of mine quit with it, so it certainly works for some people.

That said, you have to weigh the pros vs the cons. It is my firm belief, that we don't yet have full knowledge of how tobacco addiction works (i.e. nicotine vs MAOIs and possibly other substances) so messing with your brain chemistry some more sounds to me like a last resort. It seems MUCH preferable to stick with e-cigs/snus/snuff, since they a) work and b) are proven to be safe.

redeye

Dec 11, 2009
Ohio
I tried Chantix on two different occasions. Everyone is different and the results are all across the board, but for me it was the worst 2 attempts I ever made in quitting. I didn't get depressed or suicidal at all, but I had some of the wildest dreams (what little bit I actually slept). The first time around I stuck with it for a month, the second I only lasted two weeks. I never really quit smoking at all for more that a couple of days. The bigger problem for me wasn't the fact that I was dead tired all the time from lack of sleep, but that it really bound me up-if you know what I'm sayin... Thankfully, I got mine for free as my company paid for it both times. I would have been really cranky if I hadn't slept or had a BM for weeks and was out 100 dugs to boot! :-x

Fortuna

Feb 26, 2010
Texas
My husband tried Chantix a few months ago. It was truly awful. I wouldn't say he became depressed, but just extremely irritable and grumpy, even confrontational. Frankly, he was an ...... for those weeks he was on it. It did help decrease his urge to smoke a little. After a few weeks he quit taking it, as he knew something wasn't right. Thank God!

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
I don't think so Giant- I too have Crohn's disease- and it's an autoimmune problem- not somethign caused by something else- The actual mechanics of autoimmune diseases is quite complicated, but it is highly unlikely that somethign liek Chantix is to blame- you probably and most likely had Crohn's long before you went on Chantix, but it hadn't worsened yet- it's juct coincidence that it started flaring while on Chantix- now, it may be that Chantix irritated hte Crohn's although I've not read anyhting abotu htis heppneing, and I too tried Chantix and didn't suffer any ill effects Crohn's disease wise- and I have very advanced Crohn's too.

It is well known that any number of factors, stress included, can trigger the first incidence of an auto-immune flare. I wouldn't be so quick to rule out that a medication with many known horrible side effects might have stressed the system and triggered initial onset for the poster to whom you're responding.

Especially with auto-immune disease, correlation of symptoms across patients doesn't always result in sound conclusions.

Jan

Daifne

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Wisconsin
My doctor has twice now tried to get me to take Chantix. Both times I have told him, since I had become suicidal on Wellbutran/Zyban, that I didn't think it was a very good idea for me. He continues to insist that they are not the same and that Chantix does not have that side effect. I think I may change doctors...

The suicidal thoughts from Zyban were really weird. It was like I was another person watching myself contemplate suicide. I could not control or even influence my other self. Absolutely terrifying.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
My doctor has twice now tried to get me to take Chantix. Both times I have told him, since I had become suicidal on Wellbutran/Zyban, that I didn't think it was a very good idea for me. He continues to insist that they are not the same and that Chantix does not have that side effect. I think I may change doctors...

The suicidal thoughts from Zyban were really weird. It was like I was another person watching myself contemplate suicide. I could not control or even influence my other self. Absolutely terrifying.

I think your idea of changing doctors is absolutely essential.

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
This looks like an old, inactive thread but I'll add my 2 cents.

I took Chantix the first time and I think it helped me quit for about 6 months. I was really pumped to quit though. I think I would have without the pills anyway. I did get the bad dreams and a little bit of indigestion. I did start feeling really weird though. I've never had depression, but my ex-wife did. I could never understand where she was coming from, but I was beginning to understand.

I quit the Chantix after a couple of months but kept non smoking for a longer period. Anyway, I started again. After a few months I decided to quit again. I still had the Chantix prescription so bought some more. This time it didn't do anything in the week I took it other than the weird feeling coming back. I quit taking it immediately. I figured it was better to smoke than ruin my life with the pills.

I procrastinated quitting for awhile longer. I went to my local pharmacy and asked if Nicotrol (little plastic cigarette holder looking things that you insert a nicotine cartridge into) was available and if it was over-the-counter or prescription. My mom had given me some of these after she had quit due to health reasons. I think they also helped me in my first quasi-attempt in quitting.

The pharmacist said they were in-fact prescription and they cost over $100 per month. They quit stocking them because they were that expensive. I was a little miffed that they also required a doc prescription. The pharmacist suggested I check out the e-cig world as she had known some people who'd had success with them.

The rest is good! It's only been 5 weeks smoke-free, but I don't even want to smoke now. I haven't got off my nicotine addiction, but the smoke, tar, burned stinking clothing and vehicle, smelly breath, etc., etc. is toast.

It will be an absolute travesty if e-cigs are banned or regulated. One thing I do know is I'll never take or recommend Chantix to anyone I know. The stuff is wicked, just wicked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread