Charger question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Sep 27, 2016
Im going to first say that this question is purely for knowledge and wether it would work or not, im not going to try this. If you sodered a 2 inch long wire to the negative side of a battery and a seperate 2 inch long wire to the positive side, could you charge the battery by connecting the negative wire on one slot and the positive wire to the positive slot next to it?

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Im going to first say that this question is purely for knowledge and wether it would work or not, im not going to try this. If you sodered a 2 inch long wire to the negative side of a battery and a seperate 2 inch long wire to the positive side, could you charge the battery by connecting the negative wire on one slot and the positive wire to the positive slot next to it?

I got to ask why would you even want to know? :D No it wouldn't. Each slot on most chargers is independent. Both the negative and the positive have to be attached in each slot.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
To bypass the safety of the charger and have the possibility of some fireworks or house burnt down?

There is absolutely no reason to do as you're asking aside you having a defective charger and trying to find a "magic" way around something that's not working correctly.

There is no such thing as a question "just for knowledge" like this.. what is exactly your intention and what is the real question?

TheWalrus

Sep 27, 2016
To bypass the safety of the charger and have the possibility of some fireworks or house burnt down?

There is absolutely no reason to do as you're asking aside you having a defective charger and trying to find a "magic" way around something that's not working correctly.

There is no such thing as a question "just for knowledge" like this.. what is exactly your intention and what is the real question?
My intention was to learn if it would work or not? Im not going to do that?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
My intention was to learn if it would work or not? Im not going to do that?

Like Matt said, that's like asking out of the blue " how's the best way to dispose of a body, just asking for a friend, and it's just coincidence that my wife just happens to be out of town and no idea when she'll be back".

This isn't something that just "pops up in someone's mind".. we're just curious to the "why"...

Reactions: mattmc92

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
Like Matt said, that's like asking out of the blue " how's the best way to dispose of a body, just asking for a friend, and it's just coincidence that my wife just happens to be out of town and no idea when she'll be back".

This isn't something that just "pops up in someone's mind".. we're just curious to the "why"...

to be fair, i was curious about maximum input of a battery when vaping on a regulated mod.
everyone called me crazy, i think it was super useful knowledge to gain. to each their own i guess :)

Reactions: TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Sep 27, 2016

No like this actually did just pop into my head. I dont know what you want me to tell you. I have 0 intentions of doing it but i was curious so i asked.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
to be fair, i was curious about maximum input of a battery when vaping on a regulated mod.
everyone called me crazy, i think it was super useful knowledge to gain. to each their own i guess :)

For the 18650, safely is about 1Amp max ( I wouldn't go over that) and while some regulated mods will charge up to that, some will usually be set to stay at 0.5Amp.

If you're using your mod to charge, it also depends on the power input (if using computer's USB or wall adapter, etc. )

But chargers tend to stay low at the 0.5 level as it's much better for it's lifespan to slow charge a battery. The Nitecore (4-bay) will be 0.5 for 2 batteries and if you have more batteries, it shares the load, so the power output to the batteries will be reduce, so slower charging.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
No like this actually did just pop into my head. I dont know what you want me to tell you. I have 0 intentions of doing it but i was curious so i asked.

So out of the blue you wondered "What would cross-circuiting a charger do?"

o_O
ok.. odd enough, but ....

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
For the 18650, safely is about 1Amp max ( I wouldn't go over that) and while some regulated mods will charge up to that, some will usually be set to stay at 0.5Amp.

If you're using your mod to charge, it also depends on the power input (if using computer's USB or wall adapter, etc. )

But chargers tend to stay low at the 0.5 level as it's much better for it's lifespan to slow charge a battery. The Nitecore (4-bay) will be 0.5 for 2 batteries and if you have more batteries, it shares the load, so the power output to the batteries will be reduce, so slower.

that's not remotely what i was talking about :)
meant how many amps its taking the battery to fire, instead of amps going to atomizer. it's all good,
i've done lots of research, know all the things now !

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Its more like last night smoking i thought about it and was like "wonder if itll work. Well instead of trying it lets ask someone about it."

Just as long as you remember one small detail... 18650 are little grenades waiting to happen if you don't treat them with the respect deserve. Never take the smallest of chances of causing a short.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
that's not remotely what i was talking about :)
meant how many amps its taking the battery to fire, instead of amps going to atomizer. it's all good,
i've done lots of research, know all the things now !

hmm.. that doesn't make sense to me... you can't "fire" a battery by it doing nothing, as what it does when you "fire" it, is sending the power to the coil (atomizer)... so not sure what the question was here.

If you mean.. does the battery charges while the mod is plugged in and you're using it.

The answer is no, the circuit either derives the power needed to fire the coil from the incoming power, or temporarily shuts the power input off and uses the battery for the firing time. Depends on the chip used but you can't have both power going and coming from the battery at the same time as this could cause an overload.

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
hmm.. that doesn't make sense to me... you can't "fire" a battery by it doing nothing, as what it does when you "fire" it, is sending the power to the coil (atomizer)... so not sure what the question was here.

If you mean.. does the battery charges while the mod is plugged in and you're using it.

The answer is no, the circuit either derives the power needed to fire the coil from the incoming power, or temporarily shuts the power input off and uses the battery for the firing time. Depends on the chip used but you can't have both power going and coming from the battery at the same time as this could cause an overload.

uhh... battery amp and amps going to the coil are two different things. i know i'm talking about.. do you?

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
uhh... battery amp and amps going to the coil are two different things. i know i'm talking about.. do you?

Probably a lot more than you'd be able to comprehend.

I just can't figure what you're talking about here with "how many amps its taking the battery to fire".

Mininum amp before battery is dead?

A battery doesn't need amp to fire, it either has contained power or doesn't, this isn't an engine that you need to turn over... electricity/energy is stored, touching a positive to a negative and boom, it's like magic, it works. It's like opening a water system that's under pressure (such as gravity), pop that valve open, and it'll flow, you don't need to use a secondary system to pump it. Like popping a balloon, a controlled hole and the air pushes itself out, a bad ....., and it pops.

What you know that you're talking about might be clear in your head (and only your head), but care to explain your question instead of being arrogant?

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
Probably a lot more than you'd be able to comprehend.

I just can't figure what you're talking about here with "how many amps its taking the battery to fire".

Mininum amp before battery is dead?

A battery doesn't need amp to fire, it either has contained power or doesn't, this isn't an engine that you need to turn over... electricity/energy is stored, touching a positive to a negative and boom, it's like magic, it works. It's like opening a water system that's under pressure (such as gravity), pop that valve open, and it'll flow, you don't need to use a secondary system to pump it. Like popping a balloon, a controlled hole and the air pushes itself out, a bad ....., and it pops.

What you know that you're talking about might be clear in your head (and only your head), but care to explain your question instead of being arrogant?

yeah, you're an expert. have fun.

Reactions: TheWalrus

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not the way we talk to fellow members here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread