Status
Not open for further replies.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Oh geez, glowing cables.:facepalm:

I go with cables2go, generally good prices on decent stuff. On Amazon, I go with Amazon Basics. at least those are "certified" for compatibility and prices are OK. Honest, a $1 usb cable or wall wart can end up costing you a lot more than a $3 cable/wall wart if/when something goes south.

Actually, these are excellent cables, and provides visual confirmation that power is flowing, it's got circuitry that shows the rhythm slowing down when the device is in "topping off" mode, and then shows that there's no more power flowing (fully charged).

They are extremely useful for this function, probably some of the best cables I've ever had.

Reactions: Eskie

the dog

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
Off Topic: That sounds like an excellent service and a cool way to make money, I hope it's as good as it sounds for you.
Yes sir you should see my lunchbox for 12 hours of logging I sold it to a single guy once for 30$ ! And yes its a good little business keeps her home for winter and she has a little restaurant open in the summer and by the way she so happy I quit smoking that she buys me a little vaping gift once a month

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Bla bla bla, dont be cheap, bla bla bla, use common sense, bla bla bla use at your own risk, bla bla bla too many cooks in the kitchen, bla bla bla.

FWIW I have seen usb ports fail without physical "misuse" instead it was due to improper load... have also seen many 2+ amp rated power supplies be it usb wall wart or with cable or just power inverters that are no where near their rating. Just be sure you are using what you need to be using and what things are rated for. More amps available than required is ALWAYS better. Smart chargers turn off under proper function... does not account for malfunctioning. With something as volatile as Lithium batteries it is wise not to take too many risks... i have left batteries charging over night many times.. i have D4 i4 i2 have used them all. They perform as expected. I leave the house sometimes with the batteries charging... I have 5 sets of 2 in rotation so i never ever use ones that were just charged but everyone has to make their own decisions on what faith to put in their equipment.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Eh, I use mechs with magnetic sliding doors and a spring for a contact.

I don't know, my kid's Amazon Fire now only charges with 1 cable, every other cable gets a bad connection, though they work fine for other devices. Maybe it's the cable though.
    I find the USB cords for the KF pretty shoddy. I've had to use my old Kindle cords when the others stopped working for the kindle... but works for everything else.. Of course it could be the ports too. Love my KF though :wub:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    I find the USB cords for the KF pretty shoddy. I've had to use my old Kindle cords when the others stopped working for the kindle... but works for everything else.. Of course it could be the ports too. Love my KF though :wub:
    Ours is just for the kid, so it does get pretty abused. She's also gone through 3 sets of headphones. Kids can be very destructive.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Ours is just for the kid, so it does get pretty abused. She's also gone through 3 sets of headphones. Kids can be very destructive.

I had a dog who ate 4 cellphones in a 3 month period. OK, not the entire phone but enough that there wasn't a much of a chance that any could be put back together to resemble a phone in any manner. The phone store just plain stopped believing me at #5.

Reactions: Lessifer

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Sometimes I'll charge my batteries in my Nitecore D4 overnight, but I try to avoid it if possible. It's a smart charger and will stop when fully charged, but like anything else, there's always the risk of failure.

I also have plenty of smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher. ;)

Then, if you remember the "how to prevent house fires" stuff, you need to unplug every appliances, like your toaster, kettle, microwave, and so on, including your TV, computer, and so forth, when not in use.

Should You Unplug Countertop Appliances to Avoid Fire Risk : Electrical Online
    Origin & Cause-Fire Arson Investigator, Insurance Forensics
    Hey, if you're going to be paranoid, might as well go full on.

:p

Reactions: beckdg

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Sometimes I'll charge my batteries in my Nitecore D4 overnight, but I try to avoid it if possible. It's a smart charger and will stop when fully charged, but like anything else, there's always the risk of failure.

Better be sure you have a class D rated extinguisher for a Li battery.;)

96TL

Verified Member
    Mar 8, 2017
    Then, if you remember the "how to prevent house fires" stuff, you need to unplug every appliances, like your toaster, kettle, microwave, and so on, including your TV, computer, and so forth, when not in use.

Should You Unplug Countertop Appliances to Avoid Fire Risk : Electrical Online
    Origin & Cause-Fire Arson Investigator, Insurance Forensics
    Hey, if you're going to be paranoid, might as well go full on.

:p

Haha, good point!

I'm not paranoid about it at all. I just always read they shouldn't be left charging when nobody was around, and avoid it if possible.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    It's a "Multipurpose Dry Chemical" Kiddie extinguisher. Doesnt say what class. I'm guessing not class D?

And, it's not. Those are usually A, B, C extinguishers. Class D are for metal fires (like Li). No water on a burning Li battery ever, only makes it worse. If no class D around, salt is good (which is a common substance in class D fire extinguishers). That will smother it. More common to have a box of salt around the house than a bucket of sand, another way to smother it.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
    May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi
    yup, I second this..

My several spares are always in rotation, after a while I take the ones in the charger and set aside to be taken in order and reload the charger as I go.. some batteries can spend weeks in my charger before I switch over, but that's because the spares are for my single battery mods mostly, as my dual are all charged via the mod directly at night (as I rotate my mods too)...

God as my witness, I shall never have a dead mod again!
    I've got three pairs of mated 18650s. One pair is in the mod. The next pair is in a case in my "Go bag", and the third pair is in the charger. Case to mod, mod to charger, charger to case, and repeat.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    From working in IT for many years I have never seen a USB port on a PC, Smart phone, Printer or any USB device wear out! The only time a USB fails is from abuse or incorrect usage. I have seem many USB port ripped from main boards because someone decided to move the printer and not disconnect the cable.

You've never had kids use your USB devices in an IT situation. If it doesn't fit, they get frustrated and force it when the correct move was to push gently and wiggle slightly. :)

I agree that most adults are respectful with electronic devices. USB ports, especially micro USB ports, are best used gently. The tiny PC board inside will crack and break off.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
    May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi

(Nearly) all of the failure modes for a digital charger would stop power flowing to the batteries

96TL

Verified Member
    Mar 8, 2017
    And, it's not. Those are usually A, B, C extinguishers. Class D are for metal fires (like Li). No water on a burning Li battery ever, only makes it worse. If no class D around, salt is good (which is a common substance in class D fire extinguishers). That will smother it. More common to have a box of salt around the house than a bucket of sand, another way to smother it.

Good to know. Thanks for the info! :thumb:

Reactions: Eskie

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    It's interesting that Battery University says it's OK to leave Li-ion batteries in the charger because the charger shuts down when charge is complete and doesn't trickle charge after they are full. Of course, that assumes the charger and batteries are healthy and free of dendrite formation, something that we can never really know.

All About Battery Chargers – Battery University

NiCd and NiMH should not be left in the charger unattended for weeks and months. Until required, store the batteries in a cool place and apply a charge before use.

Lithium-based batteries should always stay cool on charge. Discontinue the use of a battery or charger if the temperature rises more than 10ºC (18ºF) above ambient under a normal charge. Li ion cannot absorb over-charge and does not receive trickle charge when full. It is not necessary to remove Li-ion from the charger; however, if not used for a week or more, it is best to place the pack in a cool place and recharge before use.

Reactions: beckdg
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread