Charging batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Resistance determines wattage and voltage required so in any instance it matters. In what Dumb Law does resistance not matter?

True, resistance is paramount in determining current draw, but it's only part of the equation.

Wattage is one of the determining factors in battery load and has a linear relationship to current draw. Two coils of different resistance can draw the same wattage at different voltages. Power = E x I. Current=E/R

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So you agree resistance always matters.................?

It does, but to get the same vape the voltage has to change with the resistance of the coil. Wattage calculation takes resistance into consideration as one leg of the algorithm. In a variable mod that's automatic. In a mech, the vape changes with resistance, making resistance critical to the quality of the vape.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
@DaveP I agree but this discussion went sideways when another member stated Resistance is a NON-Factor.

I think he was referring to a variable wattage mod. Change the coil resistance and the mod re-calculates the voltage to produce the same wattage. In that case, we can screw on virtually any atomizer coil within reason and still get the same vape level.

With a mech, all bets are off.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I can't think of any instance of vaping where resistance is a NON-Factor because for instance No resistance means there is a short.

upload_2017-8-10_19-13-20.png

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Knock it off !

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Knock it off !

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I noticed on the steam engine calculator that 30 gauge wire reaches 200 heat flux at half the watts as 28 gauge given the same resistance. I put that to the test and found I got a vape that I like and use less mah through a day. There's also a bit less vapor but that is a positive for me. I like to be stealthy.

Reactions: Derek Cross

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2015
What mods are you using? Different mods can have different voltage cutoffs, as well as different chip efficiencies. Also, your friend might vape at a higher wattage but perhaps he/she vapes less frequently. There can be very many variables.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
What mods are you using? Different mods can have different voltage cutoffs, as well as different chip efficiencies. Also, your friend might vape at a higher wattage but perhaps he/she vapes less frequently. There can be very many variables.

These are the all good points. Also, im betting that one, if not all are the reason you are having this experience

Another thing to note is that you say its a 3 battery mod and I keep thinking about how many times people have said that a few of the triple cell devices just aren't as efficient (for whatever reason) at using power.

This is, of course heresy and I cannot back it up, except that I myself own a Reuleaux rx200(1st Gen) and notice that it doesnt seem to last as long between charges that I was expecting. Ive heard others say this as well.

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2015
I noticed on the steam engine calculator that 30 gauge wire reaches 200 heat flux at half the watts as 28 gauge given the same resistance. I put that to the test and found I got a vape that I like and use less mah through a day. There's also a bit less vapor but that is a positive for me. I like to be stealthy.
The moment I fully(somewhat) understood heat flux and how to use it to my advantage, especially in unregulated devices, was a very good day indeed!

Learning to keep my heat flux the same with a higher resistance and smaller guage wire is key for me. It taxes my cells much less which makes them last much longer and saves money in the long run.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
These are the all good points. Also, im betting that one, if not all are the reason you are having this experience

Another thing to note is that you say its a 3 battery mod and I keep thinking about how many times people have said that a few of the triple cell devices just aren't as efficient (for whatever reason) at using power.

This is, of course heresy and I cannot back it up, except that I myself own a Reuleaux rx200(1st Gen) and notice that it doesnt seem to last as long between charges that I was expecting. Ive heard others say this as well.
One of the ongoing disagreements in the forum is about the efficiency of various battery arrangements. I got a 2 cell cuboid hoping for twice the endurance of a single cell vtc mini. To compare I used identical setting and the same atomizer and build then compared total puff time at about 25 watts. The endurance was the same. The cuboid wires the batteries in series. I believe a mod with 2 cells wired in paralell would give twice the endurance. May be the price for twice the voltage in a series arrangement is higher internal resistance so less efficiency.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
One of the ongoing disagreements in the forum is about the efficiency of various battery arrangements. I got a 2 cell cuboid hoping for twice the endurance of a single cell vtc mini. To compare I used identical setting and the same atomizer and build then compared total puff time at about 25 watts. The endurance was the same. The cuboid wires the batteries in series. I believe a mod with 2 cells wired in paralell would give twice the endurance. May be the price for twice the voltage in a series arrangement is higher internal resistance so less efficiency.
The original Cuboid is notoriously inefficient. Compare the Evic Mini to a Smok Alien and you'll most definitely find that you get at least twice the battery runtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread