Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Can you charge your batteries while smoking on the G-Priv?
Basically you shouldn't do that on any mod (and it's vaping, not smoking). The mod cuts off charging while you vape and it's better to simply let the batteries finish charging. Better yet, get a quality external charger for your batteries (for example something by Xtar). Safer.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Martinaleksander

Jan 16, 2017
I wouldn't recommend charging your mod using USB unless it's using a DNA chip since it balance charges, but even then you shouldn't vape while charging it at all.

G-Priv balance charges too. You can charge it with USB just fine. No need for DNA here. The only reason you cant do it with the little brother Alien is because it float charges. G-Priv doesn't. Kinda something Smok improved and thus it says "Charging & Update" for the micro usb port and not "Update" like their other mods.
Do just a little research before your'reply teaching others how to handle their mod.

PS: DNA is overrated. This mod is way better than most DNA mods and for half the price. Yeah you can't change the one line welcome message - after all it got a lot more lines + touch. Reads 0.06ohms at TC. I give DNA 12 months before DNAs outdated. Their screen is from 1998 and DNAs strength was low ohm read, which ever new mod has in TC (which you should absolutely run if super sub ohming). You might save some volt drop on DNA but that a hit should charge wireless volts for that price.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Why shouldn't you vape while it charges, I don't understand?
If the mod supports it you can. I think people were giving some bad advice or didn't understand the question. Lots of mods can be vaped while charging. Generally speaking it's better to charge with an external charger because it's faster/better but that's up to the user. Nothing wrong with charging while vaping or vice versa

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
If the mod supports it you can. I think people were giving some bad advice or didn't understand the question. Lots of mods can be vaped while charging. Generally speaking it's better to charge with an external charger because it's faster/better but that's up to the user. Nothing wrong with charging while vaping or vice versa

The advice isnt bad and the question was both understood and answered perfectly in the first reply.

We SHOULDN'T charge 2 or more cells in any mod, they should be charged in a quality stand alone charger. This is not saying that charging cant be done in a mode, but most of them do a TERRIBLE job of balancing the charge. It is a better recommendation not to charge in the mod period.

If charging in the mod is unavoidable, then you SHOULDN'T disrupt the charging cycle which is EXACTLY what happens when you take a draw. This puts added stress on the cell in the middle of charging. In fact it is recommended that before charging your batteries you give them about a half an hour after their last use before putting them on a charger. This allows the internal chemistry of the battery return to a less volatile state before charging.

This does not mean that pass through charging CAN'T be used and that you CAN'T vape while charging, but the far better advice for the safety and longevity of your batteries is not to.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
To reinforce what @Darth Omerta just said, you have a mod you're running at 35W. That's going to draw about 6A (give or take). 6A isn't coming through a 1A usb port. So the mod will stop charging when you do passthrough and draw 6A from those charging batteries. You release the fire button and it returns to charging the batteries. This will put thermal stress on your batteries. Charging warms them up, and firing them warms them up. Firing an already warm battery, or charging a warm battery will only lead to decreased lifespan. If you want to do it, understand it is not in your batteries best interest.

Oh, and you're firing with a partially drained battery (otherwise you wouldn't be charging it). Be sure to consider that in your amp draw calculation when you now want to fire off that octacouple coil at 95W. Best practice, leave batteries alone when their charging unless you don't mind decreasing their lifespan (we won't even get into the whole hotter than necessary battery risks especially when in a sealed/contained box while doing it).

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
When I only had an iStick TC40W I would use the Pass Thru Charging up until I left the house so I always left with a fully charged device. Now with multiple MOD's I will sometimes put halfway depleted batteries on charge so I leave with a fully charged MOD and no reason to carry spare batteries. If I ever need to charge my MOD's with a USB cable I have no concern with using it because only the MOD's that I own that do not have USB charging were not designed to be charged that way.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
That's like saying don't make a phone call while charging your phone.

Considering that your phone also has a Li Ion battery in it, it's probably a good idea NOT to use the device while it's charging. I know, there are many who would start to go through withdrawal symptoms if they can't cradle their phone 24/7, but in the interest of battery safety and longevity, it's just plain good sense to leave the phone alone while it's on a charger.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Considering that your phone also has a Li Ion battery in it, it's probably a good idea NOT to use the device while it's charging. I know, there are many who would start to go through withdrawal symptoms if they can't cradle their phone 24/7, but in the interest of battery safety and longevity, it's just plain good sense to leave the phone alone while it's on a charger.
There's a huge difference in the amp draw on mobile phones and mods though. It's not really about the battery chemistry, but about the strain on the battery.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Darth Omerta

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
There's a huge difference in the amp draw on mobile phones and mods though. It's not really about the battery chemistry, but about the strain on the battery.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

True. But you can't blame me for attempting to address the mobile device addiction epidemic. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread