Charging light not turning green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
Hello, I have a question with different chargers, an Efest SODA 2 bay charger for my 18650s as well as my Ego chargers (sometimes). Today, the lights on my Soda charger stayed red longer than they usually do when charging, but after unplugging and plugging back in, they turned green. Before, I have seen one light green, I would unplug and remove that battery, plug back in and the one that was still red is now green, too. And sometimes my ego battery chargers dont turn green either, unless i unplug and plug back in. What's going on?

I have the Soda charging at 500mah and my ego chargers are both 420mah, ego batteries are 400, 450, and 650mah.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Other things being equal, how long a charger takes to charge a battery depends on how discharged the battery is. The lower the charge left on the battery and the lower the charging amps are the longer it will take to charge.

Li-ion batteries don't like to be kept at max charge (around 4.2V) for too long. Chargers for these batteries are designed not to recharge if the voltage is above around 4V. So if you stop charging when battery voltage is say 4.1V and then try to start charging it again the charger may decide it's a fully charged battery and give you a green light.

I think this is what's happening with your batteries. I let my batteries charge fully and then take them out. With a new charger I test voltage a few times to make sure the charger is not overcharging and after that re-check once in a while. If I expect a two hour charge and trust the charger, anywhere between 1 1/2 hours and 2 1/2 hours for full charge doesn't rattle me. If it got too far from what I expected I would check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread