Charging Time for New 510 Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who says that these type of batteries should be charged differently doesn't know a thing about li-ion technology and probably skiped to many classes in school.

Well, you're right Tambur, I don't know a thing about lithium ion technology, other than what I've read here. And no, I never skipped any classes at school. ;)

The OP said she didn't get any instructions with her kit so I told her what my instructions said. I followed the instructions that came with my kit, written in very easy to understand English, and followed the recommendations of some other 510 users on this forum, and that was to charge for 8 hours, use for 20 minutes, and charge for another hour.

You may be right or they may be right, and chances are we'll never get everyone to agree one way or the other.

But, in my mind, instructions are written for a reason so unless I have a very good reason to ignore them, I tend to follow them. However, on the other hand, people have every right to ignore them if they like. :rolleyes:

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Hello, I'm a noob here. Just got myf irst 510 today. Does anybody know how long a fully charged battery should last? Should one be enough to get you through a whole day?
Robert....My 510 basicly gives me an hour at most fully charged.With that particular model it would be wise to have 5 batteries(minimum)on hand and rotate them during the course of the day IMO.Charge time for me is one hour fully charged,so its a quick fix when the battery goes dry!:)The Wiz!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Hello, I'm a noob here. Just got myf irst 510 today. Does anybody know how long a fully charged battery should last? Should one be enough to get you through a whole day?
As others have said, it all depends.

I just made it through the entire day with my 510 on one manual battery and one cartridge.
But then I used to smoke around 5 analogs on average per day of Camel Lights.

The one battery doesn't totally surprise me, but the one cartridge certainly does.
And I am pretty damn happy, seeing as how that was exactly my goal.

But, so yeah, your mileage may vary.

lauraeleven

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Florida, USA
I may have stumbled on the reason there is so much confusion regarding charging batteries the first time. I realized I did have instructions from the supplier on the otherside of the invoice. :oops:

It says: Batteries no longer come pre-charged!
You will need to charge the battery for approximatley 3-4 hours.
After that it usually takes only a couple of hours to charge.
A battery can be recharged in excess of 300 times.

So I guess these used to come precharged at one time...thus the
owners manual said nothing other than (when light turns green-good to go) :rolleyes:

Well, you're right Tambur, I don't know a thing about lithium ion technology, other than what I've read here. And no, I never skipped any classes at school. ;)

The OP said she didn't get any instructions with her kit so I told her what my instructions said. I followed the instructions that came with my kit, written in very easy to understand English, and followed the recommendations of some other 510 users on this forum, and that was to charge for 8 hours, use for 20 minutes, and charge for another hour.

You may be right or they may be right, and chances are we'll never get everyone to agree one way or the other.

But, in my mind, instructions are written for a reason so unless I have a very good reason to ignore them, I tend to follow them. However, on the other hand, people have every right to ignore them if they like. :rolleyes:

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Robert....My 510 basically gives me an hour at most fully charged.With that particular model it would be wise to have 5 batteries(minimum)on hand and rotate them during the course of the day IMO.Charge time for me is one hour fully charged,so its a quick fix when the battery goes dry!:)The Wiz!
Absolutely correct Wiz! Hope anyone planning on getting a 510 reads this because you will NOT get all day use fro a 510 on one charge of a battery. A PCC is a great idea to get rotation out of the batteries for all day use. I'm rotating 4 of them, and using a 810 in between. I'm going to be buying more batteries.

By the way, everyone might want to go look at the information on batteries on the forum. The charging information that comes with the instructions is old technology information and isn't necessarily applicable to charging the batteries in the e-cig units.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cig-technical-issues/8852-li-ion-batteries-truth.html
Here is the Battery University charging information
How to charge - when to charge table

Enjoy your weekend!:cool:

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
It's a shame that these, most e-cigs, don't come with complete and acurate instructions. The best news is that you can't harm your 510 batteries no matter which ever charging procedure you use. You simply waste time if you leave the battery on charge after the led turns green.

I also keep at least 4 batteries with me during a days excursion. The 510 could use a longer lasting battery, but I still love it.

Kevin

catholic83

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Las vegas Nv US
I having the same trouble too I dont know if it is charged or not I just got my 510 yesterday in 20 mins the light turned green then flickerd green red so I not sure I just left it there for 8 hours may be some of us got lemons no sure or maybe thats the way they are maid I think I will contact joye to help with this issue . will post what they say...............

RobertPallson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Boston, MA
Robert....My 510 basicly gives me an hour at most fully charged.With that particular model it would be wise to have 5 batteries(minimum)on hand and rotate them during the course of the day IMO.Charge time for me is one hour fully charged,so its a quick fix when the battery goes dry!:)The Wiz!

Thanks! I just wish I had known this earlier as I would have bought at least two kits.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I noticed that all three of my chargers (all newly purchased within the past week) seem to be red then green and then alternate between green and red every few minutes. I presumed it was like a trickle charger after it reached the desired level. Any thoughts?

No, the Li-Ion batteries do not trickle charge. When the charger led turns green the protection circuit has terminated the charge and your battery is fully charged.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread