Cheap genesis style tank...interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
And for those of you that do not wish to read the whole thing, here is the part about the lead:

"Ferritic stainless steels generally have better engineering properties than austenitic grades, but have reduced corrosion resistance, because of the lower chromium and nickel content. They are also usually less expensive. They contain between 10.5% and 27% chromium and very little nickel, if any, but some types can contain lead. Most compositions include molybdenum; some, aluminium or titanium. Common ferritic grades include 18Cr-2Mo, 26Cr-1Mo, 29Cr-4Mo, and 29Cr-4Mo-2Ni. These alloys can be degraded by the presence of \sigma chromium, an intermetallic phase which can precipitate upon welding."

Like I said earlier I searched on Matweb which I think is a fairly extensive database of materials and I have found 1 grade (out of over 1600 including ferritic types) of stainless steel which reportedly contains lead - a type called Sandvik 2002 which a ferritic stainless steel containing 0.2% Pb. I'm not convinced lead is commonly added to stainless steel, ferritic or otherwise. Whether it's in other grades not listed I don't know. As Wikipedia might say, citation needed :)

harmudge

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2012
London U.K
Oh, now you want bike projects?!?!?! ;) lil something I'm putting together:
2012-04-04182433.jpg

2012-04-09215459.jpg

WOW...very nice.

HappyTimeHarry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2012
Cedar Park, TX
Its HappyTimeHarry's fault :laugh:

Haha, wow. I haven't really checked back into this thread since I started it. This definitely is NOT what I wanted to happen. I was just pointing out something new I had seen. The thread definitely went in a different direction than its original purpose. Please don't put this one one me :p

zephyree

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
chapel hill
zephyree.tumblr.com
Yeah, just got back from reading up on ancient history (Raidy's thread) and it seems like we are getting ripped off by everyone who sells genesis tanks.
China is producing them for what likely amounts to pennies, selling them for ten bucks, and we can buy them for triple or quadruple what suppliers are paying.
Or we can buy "real" ripoffs of Raidy's design from other people for what seems a similar markup.
Raidy mentions how the German forum built and sold them at cost, for about 30 bucks. Now even with a respectable markup for labor etc we are not looking at anything close to the 150 dollar price tags sitting on things like the DID.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd rather be ripped off to the tune of 30 bucks than 100.

With the genesis, it seems we have two options: build it yourself, or get ripped off by those who wish to profit from the intellectual generosity of Raidy (be they Chinese, Greek, American, or whatever).

Aron Gatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Malta
This is an interesting video about china's internet. I am posting it here b/c at 7:00 he talks about how China lies to their own people about the air quality.

Don't think china would lie about the materials they use?????

Well if you make a good research you will defenetly find that all nations lie to there people ..including the US and EUROPE where I'm from...

Aron Gatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Malta
I have been eyeballing the Cobra for the past week but it would be my first genesis style. I might just have to give this try first. Hrrmmmm.... decisions, decisions...... :unsure:

I would go for this one mate...don't try the expansive once first ..specially now that you have an option ...it's a great cracking deal . Go for it

chuckie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2009
miami fl USA
Yeah, just got back from reading up on ancient history (Raidy's thread) and it seems like we are getting ripped off by everyone who sells genesis tanks.
China is producing them for what likely amounts to pennies, selling them for ten bucks, and we can buy them for triple or quadruple what suppliers are paying.
Or we can buy "real" ripoffs of Raidy's design from other people for what seems a similar markup.
Raidy mentions how the German forum built and sold them at cost, for about 30 bucks. Now even with a respectable markup for labor etc we are not looking at anything close to the 150 dollar price tags sitting on things like the DID.

With the genesis, it seems we have two options: build it yourself, or get ripped off by those who wish to profit from the intellectual generosity of Raidy (be they Chinese, Greek, American, or whatever).
Glad you took time to read about Raidy.This thing works as well as any of the more expensive Gen. attys I have.The only thing I'm waiting for is a clear tank,and that's in the works.
As far as ripoffs,wasn't it P.T. Barnum that said something about suckers?

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
Aron Gatt:7325556 said:
This is an interesting video about china's internet. I am posting it here b/c at 7:00 he talks about how China lies to their own people about the air quality.

Don't think china would lie about the materials they use?????

Well if you make a good research you will defenetly find that all nations lie to there people ..including the US and EUROPE where I'm from...

And it's more likely that the people being lied to more successfully actually think that it is other people who are the ones being lied to. Nations demonize other nations to deflect their own problems just like people.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali

...Consumers can get their hands on the Did Clones for $10... I paid $9.82 for mine. You just have to go through co-ops! Plus, an added bonus- you get your hands on things on an earlier than everyone else does!! ;)

Kosmarnik

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Chinese guys dont see anything but profits.
As opposed to regular old corporations that see only profit? It's in their charter.
That's just how capitalism works.
In the developed world, corporations usually follow laws, but only when the compliance is cheaper than non-compliance.

Back on topic:
Where to get the DID clone in cheap EU?

With regard to e-cig safety, could we not start an organization that would do testing of all things e-cig? It would test composition of material and for known hazards, with certifications for brands/products that pass the safety testing?

bedhouin

Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
APAC
Chinese isn't a race. Asian is a race. Chinese is an ethnicity. So, discussion of Chinese products and production practices is not racist. Just being annoying with semantics. :p

Thats pretty funny, if it weren't for the fact that it could get you beaten up severely if you said that in many parts of Asia.

But I agree in general with your point regarding semantics. References to health & safety of "Chinese" businesses are made with the Country "China" in mind - not the "Chinese" guy next door who owns an F&B or manufacturing business.

bedhouin

Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
APAC
who made the DUD, DID WHATEVER? Do you know ? 90% or more e cig products come from china. You can have discussion about products and safety , then I agree with you its not racist, But when people start stereo typing for some bad practices that some companies do. Thats racist.

Umm... No. and No again.

Countries develop a reputation for the quality of their products based on what they produce.

Countries also develop a reputation for their business practices based on the "business culture" within that country.

Chinese enterprises have their reputation because they've earned it.

Racist would be to apply that belief to businesses run by ethnic Chinese emigres in: Singapore, Phillipines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia, Taiwan.

Not racist would be to believe that they apply to the businesses in mainland China.

We're talking about business practices in a country not a race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread