RDA Cheap RDA for Noisy Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
Turns out one of my local B&Ms had a TM V2 clone as well for $20, but there's no indication whatsoever on the manufacturer. Just seems to be a generic clone, which worries me. The machining didn't look too shabby on it, but I really wouldn't be able to make an accurate assessment until I took it home and used it for myself. Came with 3 color sleeves as well, but those don't really have anything to do with its performance.

Since I have an Alliance V2 coming to me today, I'm not really in a rush to get another rda on top of that but it's so tempting. Now I'm stuck between two clones, a generic TM V2 or the Velocity V2. Problem with the Velocity V2 is that there's no indication it's from Tobeco either; I'm kind of at a stand-still. Will probably just wait it out and see what happens.

Reactions: DagMatt

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
Just got the Alliance in. Finally got it all cleaned up, and holy cow... this thing is an absolute beast. The build is a 26x32ga KA1 clapton paralleled with 26ga KA1; 9 wrap single coil, reading in at 0.76Ω. Here's a few pictures!
yYvMhK3.jpg

3n6ZAc5.jpg

BdkjcMo.jpg

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Yeah, I'm a lower wattage vaper which is definitely NOT the intent of the Cricket.

Typically I'm fine with a single battery tube mech and a .3-.4 ohm build which gets me around 40-55 watts at 4v but the Cricket is completely different beast.

I would have to get above 1 ohm and that's tough to do with a dual coil set-up. Especially with a lot of these big-air attys (like my Velocity) designed to accept larger gage or wrapped (Clapton style) wire.

I'm having a hard time finding a build that works for me and keeps the wattage around 50 watts or so.

Twisted and Clapton wire has a larger mass/resistance ratio than naked wire. It will require more power to heat than an equal length of naked wire. This can come in handy to tame things down. So, even though you're pulling 70W or 80W it will vape like 50W. For Clapton wire the heavier the gauge of the wrap wire, the larger the increase in the mass/resistance ratio.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Twisted and Clapton wire has a larger mass/resistance ratio than naked wire. It will require more power to heat than an equal length of naked wire. This can come in handy to tame things down. So, even though you're pulling 70W or 80W it will vape like 50W. For Clapton wire the heavier the gauge of the wrap wire, the larger the increase in the mass/resistance ratio.

Great. I'm gonna roll up a single monster Clapton coil to get closer to 1 ohm and give it a try. Thanks.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Well, I put a single 2.5mm 9-wrap Clapton between the posts on my Velocity Mini clone. It measures at a bit over 1 ohm and is actually tolerable - as long as I don't let it fire for more than a few seconds - and the vapor is the thickest I've ever gotten, along with an instant head rush. Wow.

I need to be careful or my other pile of single battery mechs may become very expensive paperweights.

So - thanks for the suggestions. :)

It's ugly but it works:

cricket1.jpg
cricket.jpg

Last edited:

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
@gpjoe Wow, gorgeous build there. I've done something similar on my regular Velocity clone where I put a single coil between the posts, but if I recall correctly I had less wraps and my clapton was paralleled with 26ga; and it was on my iPV3 because the contact pin wasn't long enough for a mech. For some reason I always find myself going back to the parallel builds - the single wires tend to help heat the claptons faster, but it's all about preference.

Your Velocity clone must be the V2 version with shorter 510 threads for a nice protrusion on the contact pin. I'm looking into getting one soon. Cheers! :vapor:

Reactions: gpjoe

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
@gpjoe Wow, gorgeous build there. I've done something similar on my regular Velocity clone where I put a single coil between the posts, but if I recall correctly I had less wraps and my clapton was paralleled with 26ga; and it was on my iPV3 because the contact pin wasn't long enough for a mech. For some reason I always find myself going back to the parallel builds - the single wires tend to help heat the claptons faster, but it's all about preference.

Your Velocity clone must be the V2 version with shorter 510 threads for a nice protrusion on the contact pin. I'm looking into getting one soon. Cheers! :vapor:

Thanks for that :)

The Velocity Mini is the original and the pin is shorter than I would like but clearly extends beyond the 510 threads. I have a couple V2 clones on the way and plan to replace this one soon - but I am comfortable that this one is safe.

Reactions: jgreck

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
Thanks for that :)

The Velocity Mini is the original and the pin is shorter than I would like but clearly extends beyond the 510 threads. I have a couple V2 clones on the way and plan to replace this one soon - but I am comfortable that this one is safe.
Interesting! It must lie somewhere in the quality control on the machining of each individual clone. As for my original full size Velocity, I find the pin too short for comfort on a hybrid. When screwed into the hybrid adapter, the pin wasn't reaching beyond the threads and that was enough concern for me not to use it.

That being said, glad yours works. I'll have a V2 on the way to ease my mind!

DagMatt

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2014
Denver, CO
So I've been looking for an atty/build combo for my Cricket that I was happy with, and I've found my first one. I got a Hobo v3.1 clone from FT, and loaded it with a 10 wrap dual Clapton build coming in at around .5 ohms. It hits hard, is warm but not too hot, and is making super flavorful, dense vapor. The atty was under $11. I also got a Narda clone that I'm going to build this week for the same purpose.

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
So I've been looking for an atty/build combo for my Cricket that I was happy with, and I've found my first one. I got a Hobo v3.1 clone from FT, and loaded it with a 10 wrap dual Clapton build coming in at around .5 ohms. It hits hard, is warm but not too hot, and is making super flavorful, dense vapor. The atty was under $11. I also got a Narda clone that I'm going to build this week for the same purpose.

Interesting. I was actually looking at getting a Hobo, I like the Velocity-style build deck. I think the reason I was iffy on it was the air flow seemed kind of small; same thing with the Narda, actually. I would be inclined to try a Hobo or a Narda before purchasing one, but sadly I don't have many local friends who vape. :unsure:

+1 for the build! I'm going to see if I can squeeze a dual 10 wrap clapton in mine. One of the main reasons I do parallel with claptons is that I like the decreased ramp-up time for the coils to get nice and toasty.
However, because that's such a low resistance for the Noisy Cricket, does it ramp up faster than it would normally?

DagMatt

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2014
Denver, CO
Interesting. I was actually looking at getting a Hobo, I like the Velocity-style build deck. I think the reason I was iffy on it was the air flow seemed kind of small; same thing with the Narda, actually. I would be inclined to try a Hobo or a Narda before purchasing one, but sadly I don't have many local friends who vape. :unsure:

+1 for the build! I'm going to see if I can squeeze a dual 10 wrap clapton in mine. One of the main reasons I do parallel with claptons is that I like the decreased ramp-up time for the coils to get nice and toasty.
However, because that's such a low resistance for the Noisy Cricket, does it ramp up faster than it would normally?

Airflow is totally sufficient. As for ramp-up time, you press the button, and it's blazing! Really nice flavor, as well.

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
Favorite Addy for the Cricket for me is the Hatty.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nice! I was looking at a Hatty before I got the Alliance. Still thinking about getting it, I believe the authentic is $18 on 101vape?
Airflow is totally sufficient. As for ramp-up time, you press the button, and it's blazing! Really nice flavor, as well.
Hmmm.... might have to try the dual clapton build then! Still, I hate having to build claptons because my cordless power drill's batteries are on the verge of death, lol. That and I don't have a fishing swivel or something to make them easier. Time to get some pre-made UD clapton wire!

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
Just to throw it out there I picked up a goon clone locally for around 20 bucks. It is currently on my cricket and has great flavor. Build deck is massive and the airflow is huge if opened all the way. I can post a pic later if anyone is interested in seeing it.
Definitely interested in seeing. I would get the authentic but it's expensive considering I'm a college student lol. How is the machining on the clone? Is it a generic or do you know who manufactured it?

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Nice! I was looking at a Hatty before I got the Alliance. Still thinking about getting it, I believe the authentic is $18 on 101vape?

Hmmm.... might have to try the dual clapton build then! Still, I hate having to build claptons because my cordless power drill's batteries are on the verge of death, lol. That and I don't have a fishing swivel or something to make them easier. Time to get some pre-made UD clapton wire!

The Hatty is pretty much a permanent fixture on my Noisy Cricket. The bottom air flow excellent flavor then with the side air for the rowdiness of the Cricket, awesome combination.

Also check out USA Ohm Meter, they have a swivel specific for wrapping wire. I just ordered one yesterday.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread