Check out the V4L Blog... My first post

Status
Not open for further replies.

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
Hmmm. . . sounds like you're quite the avid reader, Mark! Let's see if I can think of something good you probably haven't read . . .

Thrillers . . . mysteries . . . mind-twisters . . .

P.D. James' novels? (You've probably read all these)

Chesterton's "The Man Who Was Thursday"?

(For huge laughs) Anything by P.G. Wodehouse?

In any event, have a GREAT and SAFE trip, Mark!! :):):)

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
Try the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson since RJ's passing). The final book isn't due out until next year but I doubt you'll make it thru the previous 13 on this trip haha. Its not Stephen King but its a great fantasy series.

I haven't read any of the Sanderson additions to the series. Are they up to Jordan's caliber?

How about stealing Wader's Diary :?: it would be interesting reading about what color socks he's deliberating on to wear with his sandals each day :blink: might even make ya sleepy and you could rest the whole trip :smokie:

Always white gym socks.

ALWAYS!

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
The kind with the big stripes on the top?

No stripes on these...

IMAG0122.jpg

Tennovan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2011
Texas
I haven't read any of the Sanderson additions to the series. Are they up to Jordan's caliber?

They definitely are, though there are a few spots where you can definitely notice a difference between their writing styles... and not necessarily for the worst. For the most part, Sanderson has done an incredible job keeping his part of the series very Jordan-like and that's probably largely due to the wealth of notes RJ left behind.

Since portions of book 12 (The Gathering Storm) were written by RJ, it has the slower feel of the later WoT books but quickly picks up as storylines are filled out... it transitions nicely. If I had one gripe with #12, it would be that Sanderson didn't quite have a hold on Mat's personality or speech. Its very small and many might not notice it. The pacing is faster, which was expected given all the story arcs built over the previous 11 books.

The pacing in book 13 (Towers of Midnight) is INSANE. Things actually get done, questions are answered, prophecies are fulfilled, and the plots for several minor characters are wrapped up nicely. Things you've known were gonna happen for years finally do, but often in ways you weren't expecting. Sanderson's take on Mat this time around was much improved and all the characters feel like they always have. I think I read through the entire book in just a few days. There were so many :shock: moments that I just couldn't put it down, yet it kept enough untold that I haven't figured out how it might all end. Its definitely one of my favorites in the series and sets up the major storyline for the last and final book.

I could probably go on for hours (can you tell?) but I think Sanderson was the right man for the job, and his additions are up there with the best in the series. I think Robert Jordan would be proud.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Tennovan sir wife disagrees completely... She compared it to how I felt about the last book of Dune written by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. Yes they had the notes to work with, but they didn't have the same style or view on the characters. She was happy the story got an ending, but wished Jordan had been the one to write it...

Tennovan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2011
Texas
Tennovan sir wife disagrees completely...

I too wish Jordan had been the one to write the last books, but IMO Sanderson did a great job considering the shoes he had to fill. Yeah the differences between the two are noticeable if you're looking for it but I think having his slightly different take on the characters gives them personality... well more than they already had.

A great series in any case. I'll be reading thru for the 6th time before the final book comes out next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread