Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I really wonder whether this may have more to do with the way that I am inhaling as opposed to what I am inhaling. With an ecig I am taking significantly deeper draws and pulling a lot harder than with a regular cig. Particularly when I don't feel like I'm getting an adequate hit. I think that may have a lot to do with it.

I quit once before using Nicotrol inhalers and noticed the same thing. The lungs may just not be used to taking such deep breaths repeatedly.

lynchite

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
North West UK
Ok, well I have some chest pains too, and I think I know why.

I recently ordered a 36mg E liquid, and without thinking, I started vaping like it was nothing, and probably vaped a good ml of it by the end of the day.

E cigs have never given me any problems, until today.

I think its the nicotine, because I had some slight pressure on my head, wasn't painful, but felt like my head was shrinking. I also felt very dizzy, and had a hard time concentrating on what I was doing half the time. A few times I would see flashes if I turned my head to quickly.

Then the chest pains started.

I am having them as I am typing this. I found this because I wanted to know what was going on.

However, I notice that when I swallow, It hurts.
Only when I swallow, do I get such a pain.

I'm 19 years old, this isn't something that ever happens to me, I never get chest pains unless someone literally punches me in the chest.

I think it might be the nicotine. Too much of it can cause this.
My heartbeats seem a little uneven, but that might be because I can't think straight.

AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR THIS?

Everyone always says, "Go see a doctor right away!!"

Thats cool, but what happens If I can't see a doctor right away? and what exactly is my doctor going to do when I tell him I have chest pains that I think are related to nicotine? Is he going to cut my chest open and do surgery on me? probably not, and from what I am hearing, most doctors just tell you what it could be, and to come back if it keeps happening.

So no one knows what to do in an emergency situation?
I guess if you are having chest pains stranded on an island, you just die?

I am going to continue to stay up, because the pain is rather annoying, keeping me awake. If anyone has any good information, other than go see a doctor, let me know.

I had this problem of pains when swallowing, especially when I was laid down on my back. I'm sure it was the brand of E-Liquid. I was vaping french pipe from TW at the time and I immediately stopped, sold the juice and went back to my marlboro juice about a week later. This was about 4 or 5 months ago and I have not had a repeat of these symptoms.
I don't know if it was a different ingredient in the French Pipe or whether I had inadvertently swallowed some and it had irritated my trachaea. I'd say try a different flavour, maybe some flavours produce larger vapour droplets and irritated the trachea... just a possiblitily??

JustPuffin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Please do not attribute chest pains to vaping. Since I quit analogs on January 5th, my wheezing and coughing have stopped, so have my heart palps. It could just be coincidence that yours started when you began vaping, but none of us is qualified to diagnose you over the net, even if we were an MD. Please go to your doctor and tell him what you are doing. It is for your own good! Feel better and good luck.:sleep:

I share your view and no longer have these symptoms of analog smoking.

Going on four months now I find myself coughing just a bit in the morning.
It seems like my lungs are trying too clear out.

I heard stories of coughing up nasty stuff after 6-8 months.

Guess I wouldn't mind that.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
It would be decent if the people who report having any problems would always come back and tell us if they saw a doctor or if the problems went away.....or anything at all!!! The only thing I content myself with is that if they were dying off it would be all over the news instantly if anyone thought vaping was to blame for it.

Reactions: Heavyrocker

nibb

May 14, 2009
Hi, this can be related to the nicotine dossis and nerves.

I have this when I smoke to much analogs. Reduce your nicotine levels.

But dont worry its not bad.

I have this always, but always after a hang over.

When im drunk, the next day i feel very bad. This includes chest paint.

The more depresed or nervous you are the stronger the chest pain and you think your going to have a hear attack.

But when i drink alcohol it goes away completely. What best works is wine. A glass or two of whine makes the chest paine go away.

I think its the blood pressure, and when your depressed or under stress you can trigger it with nicotine.

Take my advice. Next time you have this, walk. Walk a little on the garden and take 1 glass of whine, or until its away.

I dont really think its the nicotine but the nicotine can trigger it.

It more related to anxiety or something.

I've been vaping for 20 days now. I use 18 to 24 strength. It's definitely different and when I vape too much I get a pressure in my head and that tells me to slow down a bit, so I do.

My body tells me how much to vape. Too much vaping and I slow it down. Too many analogs and I smoked anyway. I think I'll stick to the vaping!

Hey guys, I'm 24 and got my mini cig a couple of days ago from smokestick. I too have this feeling in my chest... It's not painful just uncomfortable. I feel like short breaths don't get into the lungs but long slow breaths do. I DO want to get this to work as I live in California and was in a wild fire, after that my lungs have been really clogged up and I'd love to get into vaping and clear all that gunk out. Hopefully I'll either get used to the vaper or maybe change to VG and it will be better. IDK....
All of your stories sound so wonderful and I hope I can do the same...

Actually, I was wondering if it had something to do with drying out the lungs. Ya'll have said that the PG dries out the back of the throat. Maybe it does the same for the lungs. I was going to go to the gym tonight and sit in the steam room, but traffic was so horrible with it being a holiday weekend.

Does VG dry out peoples throat too? And why is PG not used instead of VG? It does taste a bit like huffing on a fog machine. Maybe the juice that came with my e-cig is just not good. I imagine that it should be full flavored, and fill my mouth and throat with whatever flavor I chose, with out any lung problems.

I agree with SurbitonPete and hope that people who are experiencing this come back with an update.

Coombs

May 12, 2009
Van Isle, Canada
If you have been off analogs for a few months now I wouldnt be surprised if all it is, Is your lungs clearing out.
I know the couple of times I have quit, After a couple of months I began bringing up dark almost black crap (I assume was tar and other nasty stuff) from deep in my lungs, Which kinda burned when bringing it up, Like it was actually tearing off little bits of my lungs with it.

Ive also heard the same from people who have been smoking 40-50 years except they claim that it is much more pronounced. Ie: they feel like they are going to die.
But that could also be related to the age difference

Hope it turns out to be nothing, Or as simple as your lungs clearing.
Best of luck, to all of you

Well, I quit regular cigs for three weeks a month ago, went out drinking and the house of cards fell... again. So, I don't think it's clearing out pains because I never had anything like this then. I'm sure it will be fine, maybe I'll get used to it. I'm still smoking regular cigs, waiting for the menthol e-rplacements. Then I'll probably order the variety pack from Johnson's creek, unless ya'll think there's a better place to buy from.

acehigh88

Jun 4, 2009
I've noticed that the vaporizers are triggering off my IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) like certain types of food do.
Why weren't there tests on this kind of stuff? I even got heartburn yesterday as I happen to suffer from both.
I've got anxiety disorders left-right and center and I use cigarettes to control them as well as my ADHD.

Anyways I'm in pain and I feel insulted that nobody had advised that it triggered off something as common as IBS and heartburn;
not to mention this chest tightness is one more anxiety symptom I don't need!.
Its probably gas, but I'm guessing its stress related ( European Parliament + Uni Exams )and its absurd to think that Nicotine causes stress after using for 5 years it to de-stress.

I popped a gaviscon and the pain is dulling, but still this is something I got after 2 days usage.
The manufacturers were hiding this information for sure.

Extra information:
Today I downed 6-7 cartridges (High 18mg); To get high I had to smoke 3 analogues (morn/after/eve);
Off to smoke an analogue... what a pity and waste of money. :'(

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
I've noticed that the vaporizers are triggering off my IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) like certain types of food do.
Why weren't there tests on this kind of stuff? I even got heartburn yesterday as I happen to suffer from both.
I've got anxiety disorders left-right and center and I use cigarettes to control them as well as my ADHD.

Anyways I'm in pain and I feel insulted that nobody had advised that it triggered off something as common as IBS and heartburn;
not to mention this chest tightness is one more anxiety symptom I don't need!.
Its probably gas, but I'm guessing its stress related ( European Parliament + Uni Exams )and its absurd to think that Nicotine causes stress after using for 5 years it to de-stress.

I popped a gaviscon and the pain is dulling, but still this is something I got after 2 days usage.
The manufacturers were hiding this information for sure.

Extra information:
Today I downed 6-7 cartridges (High 18mg); To get high I had to smoke 3 analogues (morn/after/eve);
Off to smoke an analogue... what a pity and waste of money. :'(

Are you using PG based juice or VG? I know VG can cause gastric issues in some.

acehigh88

Jun 4, 2009
Are you using PG based juice or VG? I know VG can cause gastric issues in some.

Well I am not sure now, because I haven't gotten it as bad as I did when I posted the comment. In fact I've only had the chest pains twice and after I posted my previous comment I've only had a few IBS attacks; but only one painful enough to disable me.

Today I got a generic liquid from Ebay and I'm inhaling from the atomizer (i.e. no cartridge) and till now I didn't get those negative effects.
The smoke is nicer and tastes a whole lot better being flavoured.

The only negative effect really is it isn't stopping my cravings or my withdrawals.

Not to troll, but I'd compare Vapes to Cigarettes as Methadone is to Heroine.
It halved my cigarette intake, but instead I'm either overdosing or under withdrawal and to be honest I cannot make out the difference, because there is no high whatsoever. As I speak I've been 7 hours off analogues and I'm dizzy after vaping what seems to be 2ml of 18's plus 4 carts.
Its really hard not to vape, while its easy to have a cigarette and wait 45 minutes for the next. With vaping its like a vape every 5-10 minutes, which definitely isn't good for my health or my pocket.

I don't know what VG is , I know PG is propyl Glycerin or something and in mentioning that ..thank you; you saved me 40 Sterling, because I thought the PG was causing those effects and now I am not really sure, but if it helps the E-liquid the brand sells is PG Free (i'm not sure about the carts).

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
Well I am not sure now, because I haven't gotten it as bad as I did when I posted the comment. In fact I've only had the chest pains twice and after I posted my previous comment I've only had a few IBS attacks; but only one painful enough to disable me.

Today I got a generic liquid from Ebay and I'm inhaling from the atomizer (i.e. no cartridge) and till now I didn't get those negative effects.
The smoke is nicer and tastes a whole lot better being flavoured.

The only negative effect really is it isn't stopping my cravings or my withdrawals.

Not to troll, but I'd compare Vapes to Cigarettes as Methadone is to Heroine.
It halved my cigarette intake, but instead I'm either overdosing or under withdrawal and to be honest I cannot make out the difference, because there is no high whatsoever. As I speak I've been 7 hours off analogues and I'm dizzy after vaping what seems to be 2ml of 18's plus 4 carts.
Its really hard not to vape, while its easy to have a cigarette and wait 45 minutes for the next. With vaping its like a vape every 5-10 minutes, which definitely isn't good for my health or my pocket.

I don't know what VG is , I know PG is propyl Glycerin or something and in mentioning that ..thank you; you saved me 40 Sterling, because I thought the PG was causing those effects and now I am not really sure, but if it helps the E-liquid the brand sells is PG Free (i'm not sure about the carts).

PG is propylene glycol, VG is vegetable glycerin.

vader922

Jun 19, 2009
Well I don't think it is the nicotine because I thought the chest pains might be due to getting more than usual nic for me so I switched to ZERO nic and still having chest pains. I would get these same chest pains from certain cheap analog roll your own tobacco so I believe it is either a sensitivity to the flavorings or to the glycol itself. I do not even INHALE the vapor like I do a cig, but I am breathing it in I guess from the vaping around me because my eyes will get dry if I vape too much.

I use a cayenne extract at times which dilates the blood vessels just to make sure it isn't my heart. Not recommending that anyone NOT go to the doctor of course...

Vaping may have its own issues, but I can tell my lungs are clearer from not smoking analogs..it is too bad that this annoying side effect is bothering some of us. I am afraid they will ban these before I completely quit and it really works to stop the addiction to the nicotine. However, I do worry I am becoming even more addicted to the flavors associated with the vaping LOL.

I also notice the chest pain is worse with certain eliquids. I will stick to quality eliquids and see if it improves.

I read the ecig.com gets a bad rap on many things, but my hardware experience has been stellar, but their eliquids definitely make the chest pains worse. At least the liquid I bought last year from them. I have not tried this year. My pen cig I bought last year with 2 atomizers is still going actually, but I only used it for a few weeks last year and put it away without even cleaning the atomizers and it took some priming, but worked perfectly when I decided to try to stop smoking again.... Unfortunately I cleaned the atomizer in vinegar this week and guess it peeled the paint or something..after it drained it looked like paper had been wadded and stuck inside it. I wonder if it is THIS that contributes to the chest pains..Anyone know what this WHITE paper material is in the atomizers? I notice it already in the 901 I am using..is it cheap liquid???? or wool from the atomizer??? In the Ecig it was a HUGE wad of what looked like paper after drying from the washing. It still works, but not as well. I will not be cleaning any more atomizers after that experience. Simply blow them out at night and let drain..or at best clean with soapy water..

I have not tried the pure VG liquid to see if the chest pains go away. I strongly suspect it is the PG or the flavoring tho causing my chest pains. I am a heavy smoker/hence vaper and even tho I do not inhale it is possible that I am absorbing too much PG creating lactic acidosis buildup and the chest pains could be costochondroitis flaring. I have had this issue in the past without vaping at all and it feels very much the same.

Regardless I am pleased to have this method to try to quit now. I have tried everything for decades to quit and nothing worked..like some here have said, I have worn a patch/ chewed gum and still smoked at the same time and couldn't quit, but this with the right elquid finally totally elliminated my desire to smoke analogs..and I can even smoke zero nic most of the time...getting UNaddicted from analogs is going to be easy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread