Mar 4, 2010
Calif

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I, would make sure they don't start in the first place.

When you figure out how to successfully do that ... there are millions of parents who would like to know how you do it.

The bottom line is ... kids have a mind of their own and make there own decisions whether you agree or not.

We try to teach them right from wrong ... however, there are so many factors that are not within our control.

All we can really hope for, is the next generation of rebel kids, chose the vape over smoking.

The most successful way I have seen to prevent kids from starting smoking ... sports and then more sports :2cool:

dahlialady

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
Montreal
No! I would absolutely NOT let my kid (assuming I had a kid that is) use Ecigs to quit smoking.
Sorry but thay are not addicted, under 18 can quit cold turkey.

Ditto that. I would be ...... if my kids took up smoking. But while still in your teen years the habit is much easier to kick that later in life. It becomes the entire hand to mouth thing, etc. Mental as well as physical addiction. You can't control your kids from smoking. They will sneak behind your back, etc. My mom's dad and bro died from smoking. She was grief stricken when she found out I smoked in my early teens. She begged and pleaded me not too. Didn't stop me though. My friend's dad caught my friend smoking, sat him down at the table and made him chain-smoke a pack of cigarettes until he puked. Worked on him for about a month. I think kids are better educated than ever today (about smoking...not much else) then what we were. But nooooo.....I would not want my kids to take up vaping to quit smoking. After 18 they can do what they want. But it's only trading one vice for another IMO.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I quit cold turkey at least 50 times between the ages of 11 & 21. It worked each time, because I was too young to know what addiction means, and youth are intolerant to addictions anyway, just Ask any non smoking kid with a cell phone, xbox, guitar or basketball.

After another 500,000 cold turkey quits under my belt, it finally worked for good. This time I substituted the traditional cigarette with a simulated cigarette, except with better flavor, & zero toxins and carcinogens. Kind of like switching from caffeinated coffee to decaf.

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
This brings me to another question I asked my wife just the other day: How would you feel about kids (read teenagers) vaping 0 nic juice? Since there is no 'drugs' just common ingredients and flavor, this almost completely removes the moral conundrum we are all talking about in this thread.

I've specifically told my kids that they can't try my vapes because the flavorings aren't guaranteed safe for inhalation. They know some harmful ingredients have been found, and I avoid flavorings with those chemicals - but who knows what else might come to light. They're old enough to understand the concept of harm reduction.

I have to smile at non-parents who believe they could simply enforce a no-smoking rule or "make" their kid quit smoking. A teen? Oh you can take away driving privileges, make them smoke til they puke, etc., but if they want to smoke, they will find a way. Better to educate them well and honestly, hope they make the right decisions, and leave the communication lines open so they can come to you for help when they screw up. In my opinion...

HeavenNorHell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
VaporLounge, Washington, USA
If it meant it would get my child to quit the true killer, yes.
To those who say no, you do realize your child would just do it behind your back anyways? So why not help them through it instead of just being like "No! Not it my house! You will quit right now!!"
A little support goes a long way.

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
I came from a family of smokers. I smoked my first cigarette when I was 8 years old. By the time I was in junior high I was buying my own rather than snatching them here and there from adults not paying attention. When I was in 10th grade my parents let me smoke openly. (granted this was a long time ago) I would not do the same with my kid, even with e-cigs. I have a 10 year old and I have never vaped in front of her. I don't even think she knows, or if she does she doesn't understand what I'm doing. She's seen my 808 a handful times and I told her it was a fancy pen when she asked what it was. She only asked the one time. I know she's never seen my other equipment, and my juice lab is locked up in the basement, and she's afraid of the basement so I'm not worried she'll ever stumble onto my hiding place. Like anything with rearing children, it's the example we set as adults that has the most impact. "Do as I say and not as I do" is total BS imho. I'm probably going to get beat up for this, but if parents vape in front of their children, don't be surprised if they end up doing it themselves... especially if you explain the health benefits being better than smoking. That just makes it sound totally OK. When I hear my kid coming I pocket or hide what I'm vaping because it's not OK for me to set the example that inhaling foreign substances into the lungs is OK.
No offense, but what you are teaching your 10 year old is deception and dishonesty. She knows exactly what your device is for and what you are doing in the basement. This would be funny if it wasn't so sad....

Rancor0681

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Belle Rive, Illinois, United States
I came from a family of smokers. I smoked my first cigarette when I was 8 years old. By the time I was in junior high I was buying my own rather than snatching them here and there from adults not paying attention. When I was in 10th grade my parents let me smoke openly. (granted this was a long time ago) I would not do the same with my kid, even with e-cigs. I have a 10 year old and I have never vaped in front of her. I don't even think she knows, or if she does she doesn't understand what I'm doing. She's seen my 808 a handful times and I told her it was a fancy pen when she asked what it was. She only asked the one time. I know she's never seen my other equipment, and my juice lab is locked up in the basement, and she's afraid of the basement so I'm not worried she'll ever stumble onto my hiding place. Like anything with rearing children, it's the example we set as adults that has the most impact. "Do as I say and not as I do" is total BS imho. I'm probably going to get beat up for this, but if parents vape in front of their children, don't be surprised if they end up doing it themselves... especially if you explain the health benefits being better than smoking. That just makes it sound totally OK. When I hear my kid coming I pocket or hide what I'm vaping because it's not OK for me to set the example that inhaling foreign substances into the lungs is OK.

If you are OK Lieng to your children so be it. It's not so much do as I say not as I do that at play here.

It's education and information without these how do we expect our children to grow up into responsible adults that can make their very own informed decisions!

My 5 year old knee I smoked cigarettes and is now in his own words glad I quit those nasty things.
He also knows I vape and have explained to him how they work and he won't go near my devices or juices because he knows there bad for him.

Lack of education and information is how society has gotten to where we are. It's not enough to just say don't smoke it's bad for you cause guess what most teens will do it cause the parent said not to not why not to

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
My kids are 7 and 10 now. So, I'm thinking mostly about the 10 year old. I think if she was maybe 16 and I found out that she was secretly smoking and was unwilling or unable to quit I'd probably consider 'letting' her vape. We'd definitely have a serious discussion about methods of quitting, dangers of continuing, consequences (both natural and parent imposed) and I'd want to limit nicotine concentration and places it would be considered acceptable to use (not at school of course, and not around friends). I'm not sure how much control over those things I would have. I know that when I was a teen, the more my mom disapproved of something, the more desirable it became to do that thing. Lol. My mom was pretty strict, but it didn't stop me from doing crap I shouldn't have. I guess I don't really see this as a black and white sort of question. There are definitely some situations where I could see me supporting a child of mine vaping over smoking.

hippiebrian

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Long Beach, Ca.
If my kid had picked up smoking before she was 18 (she never did, btw) I would have blown a gasket. Grounding, no car, t.v., computer, etc. And NO, she would not be allowed to vape. Not until she was 18. If she hadn't have quit by then, okay, you're an adult, your choice. Also, I think those first few years of smoking, if stopped at 18, would be inconsequential anyhow. I know it's an arbitrary age, but we have to pick something here.

Not that I feel vaping would necessarily be bad for her, but just to let her know that some things are meant for adults and some aren't. Deal with it. Now do I think I could have stopped her from smoking? Hell no! Anyone else remember when they were, say, 14 years old? Parenting is done by then. Seriously. We pretend it isn't, we ground, etc., but by then a kid's pretty much formed and is going to do what he/she is going to do.

Those who say it's easy to quit as a kid, well, that wasn't my experience. I started at 12, pack a day by 13, and tried to quit many times, the first time on a 5 dollar bet when I was 14. I lost the 5 bucks the next day.

hippiebrian

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Long Beach, Ca.
Oh, and sorry here for the double post, I believe the penalties should be stiffer for selling to minors. First time (unless they have a pretty believeable fake i.d.) should be a loss of license and a stiff fine. Period. Same for analogs and booze (and {OTHER STUFF} where legal). Forgot to ask for i.d.? Serious fine. Period.

Vape supplies and juice should be readily available for adults and tough as hell to get if you are not!

Last edited by a moderator:

Likeable

Mar 20, 2014
new jersey
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Duplicate

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
I'm a SELF TAUGHT & RAISED ARTIST
I don't know how anyone survives childhood? We all do one way or a tuther. If I were able to, in a few words sum up my insane chaotic childhood, I would. I was raised in the 1950's, 60's, by parents that were very young, (forced to marry, [get this, by my Grandfather, her Dad, she was forced to abort the ilegitimate pregnancy but marry him that made her dirty, anyways, and in wed-lock I was their first born in July 1953.] she was 17, he was 19) relatively speaking parents... I think the era(s) make for some cultural societal differences at the same time the basic parent/child, parent/teenager relationships that have always existed, (human beings have longer maturation processes than other mammals) still does. My parents were people with problems and it became clear to me at a very young age (5 or 6) that I was not entitled to even have them as parents. In other words I had to grow up appreciating having either of them around because 75 - 90 %, neither were around, when their personal lives weren't upside down, which resulted in both of them, (divorced) taking turns at being absentee parents and a thrown around to whomever could be the caregiver, when it was neither of them, Uncles, Aunts, Grandparents, Foster Home (the foster home was short-lived, TG).... It's very odd, as lousy as the situations were in my childhood, I still had my parents on pedastals in spite of their glaring imperfections, I loved them. They both smoked, heavily. I remember being very independent from about 7 years old and on. Meaning (very lonely), I have a sister almost 2 yrs., younger, but we were separated off and on and I don't to this day relate well with her. I had the feeling that I'd be lucky if any relatives cared enough to raise me. I had a Grandmother my Father's Mother, who really did care for me and provided me with a lot of comfort, but it only lasted one year from 8-9. In that short time she taught me how to cook, clean, sew, crochet, embroidery, by TV we did yoga and we watched Shirley Temple (who was my hero....? Shirley Temple) movies together, as I look back my Grandma was my childhood hero, too. I loved that Grandma so much, she may have saved my emotional life, thanks to her strength mixed with humor and fun. I could tell you more but my Tween years were a nightmare and that's when I began smoking. I already thought as I said, that having parents was not an entitlement and so my concept was a warped re-action or the reality I was dealt. Different than most other kids I knew I was (not just a feeling), which of course the grass is always greener, I thought then that I missed out on a lot of what other kids had.

Fast forward and condence it, the so called childhood, how I ever got through my teenage years??? When I did live with either of my parents, they knew I smoked and seemed to have resigned themselves to that fact. I smoked at home (when there was a home). Smoking got me in trouble with school. I was caught smoking on lunch hour. (LOL) Standing across the street in plain view from the Junior High School, in Santa Monica, CA at 13, in 1967. (In those days, adults made you know when you were in trouble, and trouble you were IN TROUBLE), I ran away as soon as the Principal left the office I ran and ran and ran away, to Venice Beach where my hippie friends all smoked [other substances], did all kinds of ... and mystically magically hung out. I ran from where I had been living, rather than deal with discipline (.i.e. Synanon attack therapy groups called, "the game"), after that the next day, busted in a sting operation the drug dealing hippie people I stayed the night with were wanted by the FBI. So I was caught (my little runaway....), not in so much trouble with my Father, was I (though I worried him sick) but instead, from this crazy place he had us all ... my Sister, he and I moved into... called Synanon a cult like drug and alcohol re-habilitation community (only in California in the 60's would any children's lives be so nuts it ain't done like that here in Michigan, for the most part). When the Principal said that he was calling them, Synanon....(yikes) that I was being suspended..... (both my Mom or Dad as well Synanon LET ME SMOKE at first, and then they changed their mind on that, they said I couldn't) so, I was sneaking my cigs and I was for all intents and purposes 100% addicted to smoking and experimenting with drugs and alcohol if it was available to me. In my mind there were no adults to answer to and I was all growd up. I was a very angry 13 year old that had it in mind, to hell with adults, no repect for anyone accept that Grandma, who I rarely saw in those years, I was hell bent on smoking anyway I could so I practically smoked a pack a day by then, school was getting in the way of smoking, LOL. So I dropped out a 15 and got a full-time job as a Pharmacist's Assistant, in a small family owned pharmacy in West Hollywood. I will stop here about the insanity of my family and my growing up.... it's very colorful with many twists and turns.

Thank the heavens or hells or fates that I didn't have children until I was old enough. I had my first son at in 1979 at 26, my second in 1989 at 35. Both have the same Father. My reaction to my disturbed and turmultuous childhood was to orchestrate and create for myself as best I could with a partner the exact opposite. I wanted Ozzie and Harriet. I wanted Donna Reed. In 1978 we moved in together, in 1981 I married him. We stayed married until 2000. Now I'm living with him again. Neither of my Sons SMOKE! They never seemed to want to. They loved my cooking and I was mostly a stay-at-home MOM (Mom-the-Bomb) just a joke my oldest called me... I look back now and cherish the years of parenting, the stability they had I do cherish that I could be there for them, not perfectly but compared to what I had, it was incredible. I did even attempt quitting smoking. After 9 years of infertility my second pregnancy happened during that quitted smoking period. (?) (he quit drinking tejuila for breakfast with beer chasers all day, also...hm?)
I have two grown Sons and neither of them ever wanted to smoke (even though some of their school buds did), they went to public schools, they heard it was bad and they just didn't want to???... both are strong hard working, thriving men taking care of themselves, they like to drink but they seem, very well. I don't meddle in their lives. I can barely manage my own life.

So, when I read this thread and the shares, I had to take a trip down memory lane as to the hows and whys I smoked, how I managed it and didn't manage it. (I ended up in Juvie, over that runaway I did at 13 for a few days, My Dad's Brother, my wonderful Uncle Manny rescued me and let me live with him and his 2nd wife Ginny) He taught me to drive and was more like Father in 6 months than the one I had in 18 years, (though I loved my Dad so much and still miss him since he passed in 1997 of lung cancer asbestos caused and smoking (poss.) related, being he had quit for 15 years before the cancer. He was only 65 when he passed) He had a great sense of humor, I take after him, he was an artist a performer, actor, musician/ Electrician (union) that's why he had Asbestos Lung Cancer).

In this crazy life nothing stays the same. Adults and parenting back then, a whole different animal. The day and age, free love, sex, drugs and :rickroll: Love beads, incense and peppermint... Give Peace a chance, all we are saying... what Charles Manson did what... Oh now they shot the President's Brother too? They killed Martin Luther King???? Oh no, how many have died in Viet Nam, oh inflation... Oh what a life! Oh, your not allowed to spank you kids, these days?

Some kids will do what they want to do A LOT OF KIDS DO WHAT THEY WANT TO DO, from good backgrounds, bad backgrounds and crazy mixed up backgrounds....
THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE SHOULD NOT HAVE A 99% SAFER ALTERNATIVE TO SMOKING BE AVAILABLE, AFFORDABLE AND ACCESSIBLE! Anyone whose kid is vaping GOOD LUCK! If I were you I would send them to a foster home, if they don't knock it off. Make sure they go to juvenile hall. Then meet them for coffee and in some remote place not a public park SINCE THAT'S BECOMING ILLEGAL, but somewhere and vape together, it will be a lasting bond you'll cherish later in life. :vapor: Please Join CASAA>ORG it's free if you don't have money to contribute. Contribute your time and help keep our vaping, WE ARE FIGHTING FOR OUR LIVES

:rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll:

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyrl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Hillsboro, OR
I try to keep my vape away from kids under 18 so they don't get curious and go looking for them. Let's face it, it looks like we're smoking but with delicious flavor and smell, of course they're going to want it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer anyone to vape over buying cigs. But it's when underage kids somehow get their hands on e-cigs and start blowing clouds in everyones' faces because they think it's cool - just no. I don't care if 18+ buy them, smokers or not, because they're allowed to, so let them. Plus they could be buying a vape to stay away from cigs in the first place. I'm an example of that: I wasn't big on cigs, but I loved smoking, so good thing I found vaping.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
There is no way that any of you can make sure your child quits. It isn't possible unless you're with them 24/7, and that simply isn't feasible. Remember: intentions don't matter.

If I found my child smoking, I'd ENCOURAGE vaping.

It isn't harmful. And even if there is some miniscule risk, it sure as hell beats cigarettes.

Free6413

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Spring, Texas
I got started smoking at 10 in 1976. I used to buy cigs for my dad and found I could buy my own when I bought his. It was that easy back then. I wish it hadn't been but those were simpler times. I have three kids and none of them smoke. They had a "what not to do" spokesperson in me. It is hard to say that but it is so true. Now they all look at me with pride and say my dad quit smoking by vaping. My middle one came to me a few weeks ago and asked if she could get a hookah pen? I told her that when she turns 18 she will have the choice but I would not be contributing to it. Even though they have 0 nic content, it is still not legal for her to buy them. I am a very vocal anti ban person and can't understand why everyone groups vaping with smoking. What I do agree with is the until a child is of legal age (18 in most places) and has that right bestowed upon them by law, then they should not be allowed to purchase nor possess vaping products. Hands down that is the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread