Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I tutored again today, and after a long hiatus, I tried Scrabble with the 2 older ones. The little one got all bent out of shape because he couldn't play, but I remained firm, saying he wasn't old enough and didn't know enough words. He had a tantrum, but I think it's good for him to realize he can't have everything he wants. Sometimes, he just won't get what he wants. Maybe it'll inspire him to want to read more and learn more words, but that's so long-term, I don't think so. He just has to learn that crying doesn't get him what he wants.

The other 2, the girl and the boy, played without keeping score, so I could help whoever was stuck trying to figure out what to do. The boy wants to play it again on Sat. with his friend, the oldest boy, who only gets a lesson on Sat. That should be interesting!

I think if they stay interested in the game, it will increase their vocabulary immensely. The girl was saying things like, "Is blos a word?" I had to say no. But she was thinking of combinations, and if she thought of a word that she didn't know, I'd tell her.

Then we had regular lessons. The boy is reading about zombies, and it's not easy reading, since they don't provide this kind of info for kids. Why not? They are much more interested in it than in Thomas Jefferson or the Boston Tea Party!

If I had the time and energy and knowhow (which I might have if I wanted to spend the energy), I'd like to post reading for elementary school kids on all those topics they want to know about that I think adults want to protect them from, that they think are inappropriate, like how zombies are formed by neurotoxins, how the atom bomb destroyed 2 Japanese cities, Hitler and the holocaust, even Houdini, all subjects the boy has asked for and we've covered. He is much more willing to struggle with hard reading material to learn about this than he would be with easier stuff on a subject he doesn't really care about.

Other than that, I see their real problem is applying what I've taught them grammatically to their writing. I can't think of any way other than that they write a lot and I correct what they get wrong.

Recently, I asked the boy what kind of grammar they learned in school, and he said that I focus on it a lot more. I think schools are so afraid of boring the kids and turning them off to learning that they go too easy on what kids need to know. But I do remember grammar being a really boring subject, too, so I can see their reasoning. I just wonder if it's right.

Another problem I see is that the kids aren't reading between the lines and drawing conclusions. I've looked up worksheets on this, and I hope to get them more into thinking about what they read. I think that develops as they get older, but if I start them thinking, then they may be ready for such questions.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I heard this on the radio news tonight, and wondered what it will do to e-cigs as we know them. They had pro and con people speaking, and the pro people said it would put a lot of the small businesses out of business because they wouldn't have money to meet the regulations. They also mentioned how this is a safer alternative to smoking cigarettes. The con people said how e-cigs, especially candy flavors, are luring younger people into nicotine addiction, and there are e-cig ads on TV that remind us of the Marlboro Man commercials.

You know what gets me? They say kids are being attracted to vaping because of candy and confection flavors, but totally ignore the fruit and candy flavors that many liquors have now. Wonder if that attracts children? Guess not.

A lot of "cons" talk about diacetyl being in vapor. That is actually true, but what they don't mention is that it is, generally, at a level 100 times less than a tobacco cigarette and that there has never been a documented case of "popcorn lung" from smoking tobacco products let alone vaping.

Another problem is that nicotine, by itself, is not particularly addictive. If you search for nicotine addiction you will find virtually all of the results involve tobacco use. Nicotine has been studied on human test subjects many times and no real addictive properties have been reported, to my knowledge.

From my viewpoint, they are trying to apply laws that were written for the tobacco industry to an entirely new technology that contains no tobacco and has no combustion. Typical of appointed regulators and politicians.

I know I'm "preaching to the choir", but it's been a crappy day for me even before the idiots at the FDA regurgitated their wonderful "deeming" that is related to nothing in the real world.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

Yes, the news from the FDA is very depressing. I hope the FDA decision can be modified. I guess I will order some more nicotine.

I'm listening to the rain. It is coming through in waves. Looks like we will be getting real rain today. I went ahead and started the wood stove so that I can enjoy my day off without a chill in the house. I have the back slider cracked open so I can hear the rain on the new shade cover roof. The sound of raindrops on metal is wonderful.

I have a book to read and I plan to relax for much of the day.

Of course, I really do need to do some house cleaning:) We shall see.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Did I say I was taking a day off due to rain yesterday. Yeah, right, it is spring and stuff needs to get done!!!!! I want to put my new clematis in a bed on the south side of the house. The bed was a mess and filled with giant Saskatoon grass so I spent hours chopping and digging and prying to get it out of there. I'm going to put down a quadruple layer of landscape cloth and hope that cures the problem of the grass coming back.

I'm going for a pretty big redo in that area! I am replanting the succulents into containers and moving at least one cotoneaster. I'm putting down landscaping cloth, then bark and setting the containers in the beds on top of the bark.

I'm hoping Hubby will make be some log containers with his chainsaw. That would look very cool.

The whole area will be looking much cleaner and nicer. And, the irrigation is getting an update, as well.

It is raining and raining outside but I have the woodstove going so I can work outside and then come in to dry off:)

Wish me luck. I have to take plenty of breaks because my arms are getting tired but I have most of the giant grasses out and I am ready to see what can be done with the irrigation system. I would love to finish this up by this evening.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'afternoon, Voltizens.

Lizzie, we've had rain almost every day for the last ten days, or more. Working outside is next to impossible unless I want to end up looking like a drowned rat. It's really getting depressing. It isn't raining, at the moment, but still wetter than the dickens and if I don't harvest the weed crop soon it'll be too high to mow. I'm going to have to mow with the bagger on because it'll leave too much clippings on the lawn and that gets problematic since the grass is wet to begin with.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
I definitely look like a drowned rat, awsum:)

We always need the rain so I can't complain too much. I have to get this done since I work three days next week, we are going fishing one day and it is Mother's day lunch on Monday for MIL. It is now or never. Especially since I don't have a working irrigation system. The line is chopped up and needed to be redone anyway.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Besides the rain, it's been kind of cool here as well. With the wind constantly out of the east it hasn't gotten over the low 50's at all. That makes being wet even worse. I've got to get lime, moss control and fertilizer out there as well, but with the heavy showers that keep coming through it would all just wash away rather than seeping in like it needs to. I haven't even thought about the garden and irrigation yet because of the crappy weather.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I had a moment of sheer panic and terror! I was out harvesting the weed crop in the front yard, riding along on the tractor, vaping away and enjoying the relative dryness of the afternoon. Then, suddenly, there was this blinding light filling the yard. I immediately thought atomic bomb, or maybe a meteorite about to destroy everything. Then I realized it was sunlight. First time in days, it was rather startling!

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Hi my Volties!

I am doing yardwork/ gardening here. Fiance plowed me up a garden. I planted a row of taters, a row of okra, two rows of bush beans, two rows of assorted onions, a row of yellow squash, 3 (huge) planters of more assorted onions, a large round area of cucumbers and six tomato plants. I'm pooped! I also have some asparagus that I am thinking of planting. I had some strawberries to plant but I have no room to put them so I am giving them to my neighbors.

I can't wait till they all grow!:banana::banana::drool::drool::drool:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Hi my Volties!

I am doing yardwork/ gardening here. Fiance plowed me up a garden. I planted a row of taters, a row of okra, two rows of bush beans, two rows of assorted onions, a row of yellow squash, 3 (huge) planters of more assorted onions, a large round area of cucumbers and six tomato plants. I'm pooped! I also have some asparagus that I am thinking of planting. I had some strawberries to plant but I have no room to put them so I am giving them to my neighbors.

I can't wait till they all grow!:banana::banana::drool::drool::drool:

You go girl! We can't really plant yet although this year we might be able to do mid-May.

I am loving your use of the word taters.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    For all "YOU Mothers", be you Male or Female . . .

graphics-mothers-day-317443.gif

t3511.gif

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Happy Mother's Day to all including the Mother Truckers:)

Hope all the mom's have a great day.

I'm still working on the south side garden bed but I am close to transplanting nd landscape cloth so hopefully my huge little project will be wrapping up today!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread