Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Oh and forgot to mention; I went frog huntin' last night. We got the pretty green tree frogs that like to cling to the house after it rains and bullfrogs in the back yard. Found two... then fell in a hole. My leg is sore today but oh well I had fun!
Sounds like quite the adventure!

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Sounds like quite the adventure!
    I'm known everywhere as the critter girl. I love handling bugs, lizards, amphibians, snakes (def non poisonous). I love everything in nature... except water bugs/palmetto bugs... They :censored::censored: chase me around! :shock::shock:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    Then my mom called me this morning to ask about clothes and such for a trip to florida. Fiance and I are going on our first vacation together (even tho we are going with my mama)!!!!

Lord knows we need a vacation!

When "You" & the Family coming and what part of Florida . . .
    graphics-question-marks-481153.gif

Enquirering minds NEED to know . . . ;)

wvducklady

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2013
    US
    I'm known everywhere as the critter girl. I love handling bugs, lizards, amphibians, snakes (def non poisonous). I love everything in nature... except water bugs/palmetto bugs... They :censored::censored: chase me around! :shock::shock:
    I like the snakes, lizards, and amphibians! Definitely Frogs, toads, and turtles! The bugs are not my favorite :) Nature is beautiful!

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Good morning, Voltpeeps.

You are so right, Ducky, nature is beautiful.

One of the nice parts of living in the desert is hardly any bugs. We do have some but nothing like when I lived in Texas!!!!!

Although 38 degrees is cold it is well above freezing. I think that will be our last cold night and the rest of the spring will be in the forties overnight. Mid sixties for several days, seventies for several more and then we are going for a warm up. Can't say I am looking forwards to the 80 plus weather starting up but what can you do.

We got some jobs done yesterday!!!! Trees are planted but I have to get several on water when my irrigation supplies come in tonight. I might have to do it tomorrow. All the watering zones are on timers now. Yay!!!!

I am trying two butterfly bushes. I have tried them before with no luck but this time I am putting them in the shrubbery water zone instead of a flower bed. Wish me luck.

I also got most of my potted plants done although I still have some left. This year I have shade under the cover in the back of the house so I am trying begonias and impatiens with polka dot plant thrown in. I haven't bothered previously due to the lack of shade.

I need to start working more with Pony Balony so when the farrier comes he is a good boy. I have some videos to watch so I want to do that and then try it out on Pony.

Hubby got his melon garden rototilled and is ready to set up the irrigation. We need to plant by next weekend.

Last edited:

wvducklady

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2013
    US
    Good morning, Voltpeeps.

You are so right, Ducky, nature is beautiful.

One of the nice parts of living in the desert is hardly any bugs. We do have some but nothing like when I lived in Texas!!!!!

Although 38 degrees is cold it is well above freezing. I think that will be our last cold night and the rest of the spring will be in the forties overnight. Mid sixties for several days, seventies for several more and then we are going for a warm up. Can't say I am looking forwards to the 80 plus weather starting up but what can you do.

We got some jobs done yesterday!!!! Trees are planted but I have to get several on water when my irrigation supplies come in tonight. I might have to do it tomorrow. All the watering zones are on timers now. Yay!!!!

I am trying two butterfly bushes. I have tried them before with no luck but this time I am putting them in the shrubbery water zone instead of a flower bed. Wish me luck.

I also got most of my potted plants done although I still have some left. This year I have shade under the cover in the back of the house so I am trying begonias and impatiens with polka dot plant thrown in. I haven't bothered previously due to the lack of shade.

I need to start working more with Pony Balony so when the farrier comes he is a good boy. I have some videos to watch so I want to do that and then try it out on Pony.

Hubby got his melon garden rototilled and is ready to set up the irrigation. We need to plant by next weekend.

I just love being outdoors! Hiking through the woods or just hanging out in the yard with my animals. I am envious of your less bugs! Lol I bet it gets so hot. I have never been to a desert. All of our green is my favorite thing about spring and summer, but bugs of all kinds come with it.
    A butterfly bush is something I will have to look up! It sounds very interesting, and sounds like it is very pretty. Pony Baloney is probably settled in very nice now :)

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    I just love being outdoors! Hiking through the woods or just hanging out in the yard with my animals. I am envious of your less bugs! Lol I bet it gets so hot. I have never been to a desert. All of our green is my favorite thing about spring and summer, but bugs of all kinds come with it.
    A butterfly bush is something I will have to look up! It sounds very interesting, and sounds like it is very pretty. Pony Baloney is probably settled in very nice now :)

Pony is better but with the spring chores and the windy weather, I haven't had time to improve our game. He is still unhappy about being touched. I'm finishing the feeding with respect video since you are supposed to do them in order so you don't miss any of the finer points. I think we feed with respect so the next video, desensitizing, is the one I want to watch and practice today.

Last edited:

wvducklady

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2013
    US
    Pony is better but with the spring chores and the windy weather, I haven't had time to improve our game. He is still unhappy about being touched. I'm finishing the feeding with respect video since you are supposed to do them in order so you don't miss any of the finer points. I think we feed with respect so the next video, desensitizing, is the one I want to watch and practice today.
    It is hard work working with animals. Our Ram was abused, and it took a long time to get him to quit freaking out when i picked up thd vacuum sweeper or we picked up a shovel, broom, hoe, and anything big or similar. He used to yelp when I would shake socks before folding them. He eventually realized that we were not going to harm him with anything :) but he never completely quit flinching if you caught him off guard. The first time he yelped when I was shaking socks I teared up and it just broke my heart. It is hard to break old habits.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    When "You" & the Family coming and what part of Florida . . .
    graphics-question-marks-481153.gif

Enquirering minds NEED to know . . . ;)
    St George Island. (I think I need to ask exactly where again. ) My mom's friend has a beach house there. She's letting us stay there for the weeks electric bill. (like 20$) So all mom's gotta do is buy food and gas. :D

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    St George Island. (I think I need to ask exactly where again. ) My mom's friend has a beach house there. She's letting us stay there for the weeks electric bill. (like 20$) So all mom's gotta do is buy food and gas. :D
    Nice!

SandySu

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2011
    Trumansburg, NY
    Bill got a new(er) car today! I've spent days researching the cars for sale at fairly local dealers today, and the best selection seemed to be at a Subaru dealer in Syracuse, about 1 1/2 hours from here. So Friday, we went up there to see, and chose a gold 2014 Subaru Legacy. Bill got home with it this evening, and we took it out to dinner at a restaurant nearby.

I wish I could show you a photo of the actual car, but it's too dark out, so here's a reasonable facsimile.

2014-subaru-legacy-stamford-ct-5659638107330317819-3.jpg

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bill got a new(er) car today! I've spent days researching the cars for sale at fairly local dealers today, and the best selection seemed to be at a Subaru dealer in Syracuse, about 1 1/2 hours from here. So Friday, we went up there to see, and chose a gold 2014 Subaru Legacy. Bill got home with it this evening, and we took it out to dinner at a restaurant nearby.

I wish I could show you a photo of the actual car, but it's too dark out, so here's a reasonable facsimile.

View attachment 557991

Nice!!!!

Car shopping is such a hassle. Subaru, Hubby likes those!!!

SandySu

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2011
    Trumansburg, NY
    So, more on the car. We are used to the usual kind of automatic transmission, but the new ones have a CVT, which doesn't have gears and shift when you drive it, though there are controls on the steering wheel (called a paddle) that will let you "shift gears," i.e., keep the car from naturally going at the rate it thinks proper and letting you decide.

I read some bad things about this new kind of transmission, but it seems that most of the problems were with belt-type ones, Nissan in particular, and this year and on, Subaru put a sturdier chain instead of a belt.

Our local repair place said they only saw 2 problems, and in those cases, the car owners had taken their cars to the local Jiffy Lube and had the transmission fluid changed, and the dopes drained the fluid but forgot to put new fluid in! I understand the CVTs need a different kind of fluid, and the usual transmission fluid will ruin them, so I warned Bill to make sure to mention that any time he wants the car worked on.

We looked at and test-drove an Impreza, a cheaper model, but Bill said it gave him a bad feeling. Still, that little car, though feeling more tinny, had one of those touch screens that I've been curious about. When you put the car into reverse, it shows a picture of where you are backing up, but the picture is a little deceptive, and Bill backed closer to a neighboring parked car than it showed on the screen, so I don't know whether those screens can be trusted.

Anyway, Bill's car doesn't have a screen, but I was hoping it would be better, because I'd like that in the next car I get. Maybe they'll improve by the time I'm ready to give up my own Subaru, a 2008, which is still going fine. I don't put on a lot of miles, while Bill puts on lots of miles, which is why his car, a year newer, needed to go. It was starting to need too many repairs, and there comes a point where that money could be spent on a newer car, rather than on fixing an older car.

Knowing how well Bill maintains his car, a coworker wanted to buy it, and originally, the dealer where we were buying the new car gave us a pitifully low trade-in value on the old one. When we mentioned that we could sell it privately for so much more, they upped the trade-in value. I feel they were trying to steal from us when they thought they had us, which doesn't make me happy about this dealership.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    St George Island.

Very Nice . . . :thumbs:

However, way to far North in the panhandle of Florida and near the state Capital for "Us" to make any arrangements to meet for a cup of coffee & a vape . . . :(

SandySu

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2011
    Trumansburg, NY
    Nice!!!!

Car shopping is such a hassle. Subaru, Hubby likes those!!!

Bill & I both like Subaru Legacys. He has had several, and I've been very happy with mine. They do wonderfully in the snow, and with studded snow tires, they can't be beat on the ice. I did notice that muddy dirt roads don't seem much different than how my Honda Civic handled. Why can the AWD go though snow but not mud? IDK. I was expecting improved handling in the mud, too, but it didn't happen. But since I don't have to go down that dirt road to get to Penny's barn any longer, I guess that doesn't matter so much.

We've both been happy with our Subaru Legacys, but we'll have to see how the new CVT holds up.

And yes, car shopping is a hassle. Bill has been beside himself for days, stressed out about it.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2013
    US

View attachment 557991
    That is really nice Sandy :) New cars are always exciting! Yay!

wvducklady

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2013
    US
    So, more on the car. We are used to the usual kind of automatic transmission, but the new ones have a CVT, which doesn't have gears and shift when you drive it, though there are controls on the steering wheel (called a paddle) that will let you "shift gears," i.e., keep the car from naturally going at the rate it thinks proper and letting you decide.

I read some bad things about this new kind of transmission, but it seems that most of the problems were with belt-type ones, Nissan in particular, and this year and on, Subaru put a sturdier chain instead of a belt.

Our local repair place said they only saw 2 problems, and in those cases, the car owners had taken their cars to the local Jiffy Lube and had the transmission fluid changed, and the dopes drained the fluid but forgot to put new fluid in! I understand the CVTs need a different kind of fluid, and the usual transmission fluid will ruin them, so I warned Bill to make sure to mention that any time he wants the car worked on.

We looked at and test-drove an Impreza, a cheaper model, but Bill said it gave him a bad feeling. Still, that little car, though feeling more tinny, had one of those touch screens that I've been curious about. When you put the car into reverse, it shows a picture of where you are backing up, but the picture is a little deceptive, and Bill backed closer to a neighboring parked car than it showed on the screen, so I don't know whether those screens can be trusted.

Anyway, Bill's car doesn't have a screen, but I was hoping it would be better, because I'd like that in the next car I get. Maybe they'll improve by the time I'm ready to give up my own Subaru, a 2008, which is still going fine. I don't put on a lot of miles, while Bill puts on lots of miles, which is why his car, a year newer, needed to go. It was starting to need too many repairs, and there comes a point where that money could be spent on a newer car, rather than on fixing an older car.

Knowing how well Bill maintains his car, a coworker wanted to buy it, and originally, the dealer where we were buying the new car gave us a pitifully low trade-in value on the old one. When we mentioned that we could sell it privately for so much more, they upped the trade-in value. I feel they were trying to steal from us when they thought they had us, which doesn't make me happy about this dealership.
    So many dealerships are bad about trying to take advantage and offer the lowest amount for trade ins they can get away with... im glad you guys were smart about it, and did not get ripped :)

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Good morning, Voltpeeps.

Reading about your car buying was interesting SandySu. Such a complicated process.

Does anyone know about homeowners insurance? I was talking to some people who told me I need to contact my insurance company since I have wind damage on my roof. I never thought about that. Certainly worth a try although I think I will wait to deal with it until after the holiday.

I'm tired. Mostly reting up today [yes, I did do a bit of weeding:)]

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2011
    Twilight Zone
    Good morning, Voltpeeps.

Reading about your car buying was interesting SandySu. Such a complicated process.

Does anyone know about homeowners insurance? I was talking to some people who told me I need to contact my insurance company since I have wind damage on my roof. I never thought about that. Certainly worth a try although I think I will wait to deal with it until after the holiday.

I'm tired. Mostly reting up today [yes, I did do a bit of weeding:)]
    That's standard procedure here. I've never used my homeowners but I'm in the minority. Hurricane season everybody gets a new roof on the ins. company.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread