Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
The solar plane circumnavigating the Earth was impressive as a demonstration project, but it has a long, long, way to go before it becomes practical. The flight from Hawaii to the West Coast had to be a little "edgy" given the cruising speed and hours of available sunlight.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Today, I gave the girl a matchstick puzzle. Here is is, if anyone doesn't know what these are. Easy Matchstick Puzzles It's puzzle
#1 at the top right.

So the girl asked, "Why did you give this to me?"

Hmm ... I began to wonder how to answer that. She asked if it was to understand how to follow directions. Well, sort of. But it's more because she likes puzzles and is good at them, and I want to expand her thinking skills, her problem-solving skills.

So I get home and ask myself, "What does this have to do with teaching English? Am I straying too far off the subject?" I'm not sure.

What do you think?
Public schools are now busy with teaching what to think rather than how to think. It's becoming more like programing students than teaching them. Anything you can do to teach them how to think for themselves is a big plus in my opinion, regardless of subject. For me teaching something and watching the "light bulb" come on in a student is it's own reward. End of rant.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Yes, I realize there's a long way from this experimental aircraft to really using the technology, but I found it exciting, anyway. I'm so tired of hearing about all the strife and killing in the world! I thought this positive bit of news was badly needed now -- at least I needed it.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Wuz, I think that isn't new these days. I felt school was like that back when I was a student, and I'm no spring chicken!

I think a big problem is that education is mass-produced. Since a teacher has to teach a whole class, maybe 20 students or so, everything has to be geared to the middle of the road.

I'm fortunate that I can teach individually, though every once in a while, I did try combining the siblings, and now the youngest one "helped" his sister today with finding states on a map. I had a U.S. map with the states labeled, and I'd call out, "Oklahoma!" and they both looked for it and pointed to it when they found it. The little one actually found one state before his sister did! His method was to listen to the name, figure out which letter it began with, and find a state that began with that letter, I noticed. For instance, if I asked for Wyoming, he'd find Wisconsin. It's really great for the younger sibling to listen in on the older one's lesson. The little ones want so much to be like the older ones that they are eager to try to do the same work, even if it's beyond them. I remember the girl doing this with her older brother, too.

So I do allow auditing as long as it's not disruptive. If it gets out of hand, the young one is kicked out, and that feeling of rejection keeps things under control most of the time. However, the littlest one is very exuberant, and sometimes I have to warn him. But today's "map game" was a success!

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Yes, because a solar plane equals all those beheadings and children getting killed around the world :D

Hope you all stay cool guys.

What I meant, Trit, that after hearing all the bad news, it was nice to hear something positive. I didn't mean that plane makes up for all the trouble in the world, just that some variety from mayhem is a relief. I hate hearing about things I can do nothing about. It just makes me sad, and being distracted every so often is a relief.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
I got my hen duck today! She is really pretty. She is a little wild though....lol She is just scared though, and she misses her Mommy and siblings. I had to pick her up this evening, and she went wild. After a little bit she calmed down, and I told her good girl....she stretched her neck up and bit my lip! Haha She bit the blood out of my lip! It is still a little swelled and sore. I have never had any of my ducks bite me! The look she gave me afterwards was hilarious....it was definitely a look of she will do it again! Lol I hope she adjusts soon!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Voltatics.

Ducky, look out for the terrorist attack ducks. They can be very dangerous!

Sandy, it is good to see something, anything, positive in the wreck of what the world has turned in to. It's getting harder and harder to have an optimistic outlook on things.

It's a soggy morning here in beautiful SNJ. We got rain yesterday late in the afternoon, yesterday, and it started, again, around midnight and has been raining ever since. Some of the weather prognosticators were starting to mutter about a drought but that has gone by the wayside. Why a week or two of no rain constitutes a drought beats the heck out of me. We've had almost ten inches of rain this month already. Whenever they start with stuff like that, my mind plays "Dancing Queen" re-worded to "Drama Queen".

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Why a week or two of no rain constitutes a drought beats the heck out of me.
Wish it was just a week or two for us. We're heading for a month without in our "wet" season and a deficit it's going to take a tropical storm to bring up. The vegetation is suffering and the deer population in my back yard is growing to get the corn I feed.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
We are right on target. Last month was over. Of course, we always have plenty of water. Lizzie, you want some locally grown cranberries? They come with mosquitos, can't choose just one.

I'll pass on the mosquitoes, thank you.

10 inches of rain in a month. We don't get that in a year!!!!!! awsum.

Ducky, are you sure that lady duck isn't part parrot?

Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

It is going to be over 100 degrees again today. My friend and I are going to town to watch a movie called "The Secret Life of Pets". Since we are both critter people, we think it will be funny. It will also be air conditioned.

Donuts on the way there and lunch on the way back will top off our day:)

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

Ducky, I'm sure you will tame that wild little duck:)

Remember the big storm I thought we would get the day before yesterday ? And we didn't get the storm? Well, it showed up yesterday at about 4:30pm. It was preceded by the power going off. A huge thunderstorm with not too much thunder and lightning came through and then the heavens opened up and the rain came down hard!!!!! The temperature plummeted from 103 to 75 degrees. An incredible storm. It was all over about an hour later except for the lightning in the distance. So nifty.

The temperature was back up to 90 degrees by 8pm.

Yes, it will be ridiculously hot again today and I do have to go to Dayton and drive home at noon. Yuck!!!!!!

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
I liked the movie okay. It had some cute funny stuff in it and the animation was good. I thought the underground living in the sewers scary gang of rejected critters who wanted to kill our protagonists was kind of scary and so did my friend:) I think they could have had it be a little less like the Crips gang.

We think we will go again but next time it might be the Meryl Streep movie where she wants to be a singer. Forget the name of that one. Maybe it's called "Sing".

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Volties.

That thunderstorm sounds cool, Lizzy. Just like they're portrayed in movies set out west. Must be great watching the lightning off in the distance with the mountins for a background.

If that's the movie I'm thinking about it's a sort of biographical. There was a woman who saw herself as an opera singer, had a lot of money and sang, finally, at the Met. Unfortunately, I can sing opera about as well as she could. There was a piece on it on "Sunday Morning" last week, I think.

It was cloudy and relatively cool here this morning, but the humidity was high and now the sun is warming us up yet again. More rain this afternoon and evening. I've got to get the branches out to the curb for the Township to chip them up. They, normally, come the first week of the month. I'm hoping the rain holds off long enough for me to get that done. We've got about three cubic yards of branches from storms. That's about a years worth. I just can't justify, too cheap, buying a chipper. Decent ones are kind of expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread