Not open for further replies.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
'moanin, Voltaticalytes.

There be puppies!

That's mommy's leg in the center. They're sure tiny, about three days old in this photo.

This one has the most even coloring.

But I kind of like the coloring on this one. The darker area on the back and darker ears add some character. Again, that's mommy's leg and a little of her jowls in the photo. Really hard to believe that they'll be over 100 pounds in a year.

So darn cute!

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
'moanin, Voltaticalytes.

There be puppies!

That's mommy's leg in the center. They're sure tiny, about three days old in this photo.

This one has the most even coloring.

But I kind of like the coloring on this one. The darker area on the back and darker ears add some character. Again, that's mommy's leg and a little of her jowls in the photo. Really hard to believe that they'll be over 100 pounds in a year.

Definitely cute.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Yes, we're going to buy one of them. The litter was only three pups, two male and one female, and the photos are of the two males. The breeder is cautious and wants to wait at least two weeks before actually offering them, just in case something goes wrong. I know with the "puppy cam" litter we have been watching the litter was ten, but we only saw nine at the maximum. That tells me things can go wrong so waiting is probably a good idea.

Initially, I liked the one with the even coloring but as I keep looking at both I am pretty partial to the one with the black shading on his back and ears. Who knows if it will stay that way as he grows? We'll discuss it and see where it goes. I just can't get over how tiny they are at birth. After having Bo around it's hard to imagine that he was ever that small.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Yes, it's the same breeder but different parents. As Mrs. Awsum said, Bo's mommy's eggs are hard boiled by now if she's still alive. Bo was ten so that would make her, at least, twelve. That's a little old to be having more pups.

Both the new parents are in the US Boerboel Association registry with full family trees.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
But they might still be related to Bo if they are grandchildren of Bo's mother. Or are they totally unrelated, or, at least, as unrelated as a breed of registered dogs can get? Do you have Bo's pedigree, and can you get that of the puppies? I bet they have at least one common ancestor if you go back far enough. Maybe you can get pedigrees online? I have heard that horse registries offer this -- at least some do.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
But they might still be related to Bo if they are grandchildren of Bo's mother. Or are they totally unrelated, or, at least, as unrelated as a breed of registered dogs can get? Do you have Bo's pedigree, and can you get that of the puppies? I bet they have at least one common ancestor if you go back far enough. Maybe you can get pedigrees online? I have heard that horse registries offer this -- at least some do.
That was what I was thinking.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
They are undoubtedly related just as we are all related, but how far back would take some significant research. There is more than one registry, both here and in South Africa. The breed, as it exists today, was "brought back" in South Africa by a couple of folks who really liked the breed. They, basically, established the traits, physical and mental, that comprise the Boerboel that we know today then scouted a lot of southern Africa and buying dogs that matched their criteria. If I remember correctly that was in the early 20th century but the breed actually goes back into the 18th century. To my knowledge, all the Boerboels of today are children from those ancestors. Still, as with most things, we'll have to wait and see how personalities develop.

There was an interesting piece on the news about dogs in general. Some researchers used MRI to determine that dogs actually can understand human speech, to some degree at least, and process tone and words in the same way humans do. That's not saying they can understand Shakespeare, but they can differentiate some words and interpret based on the tone. It's amazing that the researchers got the dogs to lay perfectly still in an MRI machine for seven minutes at a time to do the scans! Those are some well trained dogs!

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I experienced just how much language a dog can understand with a dog I had named Rowley. He was a mutt that followed us home.

We lived in NYC in an apartment, so he was walked several times a day but otherwise was confined to the apartment, so he got really excited when it was time for a walk. We used to say, "Whose turn is it to walk the dog?" and he would go berserk, running and leaping around excitedly. I figured it was because the walks happened at pretty much the same times of day, he'd see us get out his leash, etc.

But then we visited a friend with the dog, my daughter, and one of her school friends, who had just gotten a yo-yo and took it with her. A friend of the friend was there, too, and when he saw the little girl with the yo-yo, he asked her if she could do any tricks with it like "walk the dog." Immediately, Rowley went into berserk mode, programmed by those words to expect an outing. I was amazed, since it was totally out of context, and he must have actually understood the words, not just the circumstances.

Another weird thing I never did figure out was how he'd know we were reaching a destination. We'd go off to someplace in the country to hike on weekends, and Rowley loved being let loose to run back and forth on the hiking trails. Wherever we went, he would sleep in the car just until maybe 10 minutes before our arrival at the trail, and then he'd wake up all excited. I tried to figure out if it was the car slowing down after going fast on highways, or if our voices took on a different tone when we were close to our destination. I never could detect any signals that would let Rowley know we were getting close, but he detected them.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Sandy, that signal could have been as subtle as a change in your breathing. Dogs are very perceptive of even the slightest changes in the things around them.

Yes, dogs can sense your mood, a sickness, everything. Mine loves being talked to and really gets upset when I tell him "I'm sorry - I don't speak Dog"... Just makes him try harder and harder - very cute... :)

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Good morning Volties. Awesome looking pups Awsum. Hope everybody has an awesome Wednesday. We've got more infusion and the results of a PET scan.
11878ac52dcc686b73fa4cf0c0c52e3c.jpg

I forgot to move my pictures to my new computer.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltville.

Nice sunrise today, cloudy and soft.

Dogs are really special creatures who know us like no other creatures.

Thinking of you and Mrs. Wuzz and hoping the scan is good.

We are just about all cleaned up from the BBQ but I do have to put away some items. The big cupboard was trashed since I pulled out a couple of cookers that sit way in the back so I need to work on that and I have some party supplies that need to go back into the barn shed on the side of the house.

We sort of invited ourselves to a comping trip with some people we know. They kept saying at the BBQ how we should go camping with them sometime and mentioning that they were going to Pickle Meadows so Hubby called them yesterday and asked them did they want us to go. We are just going for one night.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Volties.

Hopes, thoughts and prayer for Mrs. and you, Wuzz.

Lizzie, my idea of camping is calling room service! All though if the weather is good, like you seem to have mostly, it can be fun out under the stars, too.

How lucky can a man be? It's Mrs. Awsum's birthday next week and I asked her what she wanted. In my mind that covers a LOT of ground. How about socks and a back brace? I am in love with Amazon, too, LOL. I've got to find something special as well, but she wants to keep costs down with the puppy coming in the near future.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
'moanin, Volties.

Hopes, thoughts and prayer for Mrs. and you, Wuzz.

Lizzie, my idea of camping is calling room service! All though if the weather is good, like you seem to have mostly, it can be fun out under the stars, too.

How lucky can a man be? It's Mrs. Awsum's birthday next week and I asked her what she wanted. In my mind that covers a LOT of ground. How about socks and a back brace? I am in love with Amazon, too, LOL. I've got to find something special as well, but she wants to keep costs down with the puppy coming in the near future.

That Mrs. awsum is a lot like me. I like something useful for Christmas and birthdays especially when the big present is coming in the future like a puppy. The boys are both cute and you don't have to decide for a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread