Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
We finally made it to Toroweap were we had to do some real 4-wheeling for the last couple of miles. Here at the top, just before you reach the edge of the canyon, we stopped at these rain filled pot holes, some of which were surprisingly large. They had miniature horseshoe crabs living in them. They dry up and the critters eggs will hatch the next time the pot holes fill with rain again.

https://pix.sfly.com/wpzv13

We made it to Toroweap. Turns out there was no camping without a permit which you can't get unless you go online. There is no phone service or internet so we had to leave to find a place to camp so we only stayed about an hour.

We are at 6200 feet and the river below is at 1950 feet. Amazing. You can crawl up to the edge here and peek over since you are on top of some rocks.

https://pix.sfly.com/Gb1V8b

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
It rained!!!!! Only desert people are this happy about rain:) So windy yesterday. I was driving home through a dust storm.

There was a wildfire in Washoe Valley a couple of days ago. I heard that it moved so fast that a lady was told to get out of her house now! She said she had to go to her barn but they told her the fire was moving too fast and she lost 25 Arabian horses. Just tragic. The fire is still burning even though we got some rain. 22 homes are destroyed.

Supposed to be pretty windy again today. So far, we have not run the wood stove but maybe soon.

I saw where we are supposed to be have a spectacular moon tonight. It was certainly large and bright this morning.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
IShe said she had to go to her barn but they told her the fire was moving too fast and she lost 25 Arabian horses. Just tragic. The fire is still burning even though we got some rain. 22 homes are destroyed.
:(:(

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012

I can't find any info on the loss of horses so hoping it is just a bad rumor however 7 large barns have been lost to the fire so it may be true. The fire started at 2am and may have been due to a controlled burn a few days earlier. Winds were over 60 mph.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
'moanin, Voltaticalytes.

Sorry to hear about those horses, Lizzie, and the fire as well. 22 homes destroyed is not a good thing at all, let alone the loss of those horses.

We've been having some spectacular early fall weather. The temps overnight have been down as low as the mid 30's but during the day up to about 70 with lots of bright sunshine. It's supposed to get into the 80's Monday through Wednesday. I think that will be the last gasp of the 80's though. We've had the heat on a few times overnight and it has run to keep us from being too cool in the morning. We can tell it's the onset of fall, the Canadian geese are circling the corn and soybean fields looking for a spot to winter, but then they stay year around anyway.

That's called a "super hunters moon" by the way. The moon is actually closer to Earth than normal and is running at full right now. It has happened before and will happen again, it's just a combination of timing of the phases and variations in the orbit. Why it's called a "super hunters moon" beats the heck out of me. Here it's illegal to hunt after dusk. I guess "back in the day" it wasn't. Hence the name. It sure is bright though. I peeked out the window just before I went to bed to make sure the floodlights were off it was that bright here.

I've been working on the house, inside. Painted the living room, kitchen, dining room and hallway. Now I'm shampooing carpets. Next up is strip and refinish the floors in the kitchen and both bathrooms. I got some "industrial" or commercial stripper and wax off of Amazon. Let's see how that goes. I've also want to paint both the front and back doors before it gets too cold. Maybe Tuesday in between working on the floors.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
It rained!!!!! Only desert people are this happy about rain:) So windy yesterday. I was driving home through a dust storm.

There was a wildfire in Washoe Valley a couple of days ago. I heard that it moved so fast that a lady was told to get out of her house now! She said she had to go to her barn but they told her the fire was moving too fast and she lost 25 Arabian horses. Just tragic. The fire is still burning even though we got some rain. 22 homes are destroyed.

Supposed to be pretty windy again today. So far, we have not run the wood stove but maybe soon.

I saw where we are supposed to be have a spectacular moon tonight. It was certainly large and bright this morning.
That is sad. My heart and prayers go out to all of them. It breaks my heart to think about those horses dieing like that.... :(

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Aloha Volties. Hope everybody is having a great Sunday.
Why it's called a "super hunters moon" beats the heck out of me. Here it's illegal to hunt after dusk. I guess "back in the day" it wasn't.
Maybe a poachers moon would be more appropriate these days? Here if you get caught in the woods at night with a gun and a light you're in deep doo doo. Caught with a gun not so much unless it's got a night vision scope.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

I bet the Hunters Moon would be good for hunting raccoons with hounds. We call it a Harvest Moon and we didn't get to see it at all since it rained and rained all yesterday and into the night. I thought I was going to have to build an ark. Strangely, the fires aren't actually out from what I read but are more contained due to the rain.

Looks windy and chilly outside. Hubby is working on our gates for the backyard. He is welding hog wire onto the gates so the big dogs cant slither through the tops. Did I mention they got out of the yard while we were out of town, several times. Neighbor locked them in the backyard and Sassy got out of there, too. We are going into town to buy a couple of new latches for the gates, as well. The current latches are chains and they don't work as well as we would like. Fortunately, the neighbor found out that some wire had come apart at the corner of the fence way in the back of the five acres and they fixed that! So sweet.

I am going to have to put some chicken wire at the bottom of the fence line in the backyard, as well. So the dogs can't dig out. What a pain.

Hi Wuzz, Semi, Ducky, Celti and SandySu.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Very nice photos, Lizzie! That looks like some very harsh country-side.
I can barely believe that I've come to this time of my life, and have never seen the Grand Canyon; I always thought that I'd eventually get out that way.

If you make it out here to Nevada, we must take you out!

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltville.

Yep, summer is leaving us far behind and it is 34 degrees outside. We are toasting by the wood stove this morning. Nice.

Hubby fixed our gates in the backyard yesterday. I have started fall clean up. Some of the poplar trees have been knocked back. They will have to dry out a bit before I can burn so I am creating a large burn pile of large branches out back. The grasses in the yard are starting to get cut. It's a big job that I will keep at until the snow comes. If the snow comes:)

Pony Baloney is being a sweetheart. Wiseguy and Pony both were being so cute and gentle yesterday as I tickled their noses and gave them rubs and hugs. Wiseguy has a bit of thrush in one foot so I cleaned his feet. I'll do that again today. Later, when it warms up.

It is going to be chilly for a few days and then it is supposed to warm up for Indian summer. I like it.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
When is Baloney going to start some serious cart-training?

Pony is starting some serious ground work. I have worked on cleaning out one foot yesterday and we are building on that. He is letting me touch him pretty much all over now so that is a huge improvement. I am getting a hi tie made out of the RR tie in the pen. That reminds me, I have to talk to Hubby about that. Pony needs to learn to stand patiently. He is very bad about that. Hopefully, by next spring I will be ground driving him and ordering a pony buggy.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
How about a couple more photos from our trip.

Here we are 4 wheeling across some slick rock on our way out of Toroweap.

https://pix.sfly.com/g9qZ38

Cooking on the tail gate.

https://pix.sfly.com/ZoTYsX

Hubby looking majestic on an overlook somewhere along the North Rim.

https://pix.sfly.com/wNz8jq

Did I mention we forgot the tent poles. We slept out under the stars for several nights but at Indian Hollow campground, we got the tent fly over us in a creative fashion.

https://pix.sfly.com/84OpJD

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Hubby looking majestic on an overlook somewhere along the North Rim.

https://pix.sfly.com/wNz8jq

Did I mention we forgot the tent poles. We slept out under the stars for several nights but at Indian Hollow campground, we got the tent fly over us in a creative fashion.

https://pix.sfly.com/84OpJD
Glad you and your majestic husband enjoyed the trip besides the lack of tentpoles. ;) My mind sometimes goes in unexpected directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread