Not open for further replies.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I was looking at some of the videos on YouTube about the FDA's Regulations and ran across this:

Talk about "the silent majority"! I wonder if they would be interested in teaming up with vapers.
The rise of the Trump Monster came about as a result partly because some voices were not being heard by the current administration. While others were supported and shouted their crazy slogans and got news coverage, we vapers and cigar smokers had no voice.
Yes CASAA, NBS, and other advocates are still fighting the FDA Regulations, I haven't heard any real solutions except to write 3 letters a week to your state Senators and House Rep.
I've done that, and also registered to vote in this state I'm in now.

So much anger, so little choices of a better government that won't regulate everything but air!
>covers mouth< I like to breath cheaply.

True Story:
Googled Trump Monster, got the usual..lol

3794ab496c8c17576728bc905a573ec3.jpg

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
I bought a box of cigars for DH on Sunday. He smokes premium cigars, a brand that has been around since forever. I asked the sales clerk at the (upscale) shop how they felt about the deeming regs. She had NO idea what I was talking about. None. Zilch. People are woefully ignorant about deeming. I have to believe they'll get interested pretty darn quickly when they learn what this means relative to cigars.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I bought a box of cigars for DH on Sunday. He smokes premium cigars, a brand that has been around since forever. I asked the sales clerk at the (upscale) shop how they felt about the deeming regs. She had NO idea what I was talking about. None. Zilch. People are woefully ignorant about deeming. I have to believe they'll get interested pretty darn quickly when they learn what this means relative to cigars.
Exactly LB..I really didn't understand that a lot of these Facebook pages for vapers were shocked at the news...But it makes sense , because following CASAA isn't as easy as hand checks and clouds bro.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Lady at the smoke shop 3 days ago gave me the ugliest look when I told her "soon enough, more than half the cigar inventory they have will be considered illegal/unsellable due to regulations that may pass". She had no idea about regulations other then that "ecig bombs need to stay away from her"....

Ignorance is bliss.... I assume

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Lady at the smoke shop 3 days ago gave me the ugliest look when I told her "soon enough, more than half the cigar inventory they have will be considered illegal/unsellable due to regulations that may pass". She had no idea about regulations other then that "ecig bombs need to stay away from her"....

Ignorance is bliss.... I assume
I use to buy those imported cigars. The last ones I got was from Bahia Brazil. Some people pay top dollar for cigars and by top dollar I mean up to $40 a piece and more. I paid $5 a piece and thought that was pretty high.
I guess cigar companies with the exception of the major ones will find it hard to stay in business.

The cigar facing the same threat as e-cigarette's ..who'd a thunk it?

Reactions: defdock

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
I use to buy those imported cigars. The last ones I got was from Bahia Brazil. Some people pay top dollar for cigars and by top dollar I mean up to $40 a piece and more. I paid $5 a piece and thought that was pretty high.
I guess cigar companies with the exception of the major ones will find it hard to stay in business.

The cigar facing the same threat as e-cigarette's ..who'd a thunk it?
DH smokes Ashton Cabinets. They go from 9.95 to 14.95 a stick. He's been known to buy the occasional $30 cigar. I would venture a guess that no less than 100 cigars are smoked at our golf club each Saturday and Sunday. Times how many golf clubs in the country? That's a lot of cigars! Premium cigar makers and importers must feel as though they got blindsided on the level of L?T. to Joe Theismann.

Reactions: Sirius

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Other than here, I'm a member of a well respected cigar forum. I was reading around today it it seems they despise us vaping folk. "Ecig idiots" was one of the nicer things I read.

I highly doubt they would "tag team" with us. It almost looks like they think we're part of the problem...

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
There are currently companion bills in the House and Senate that will take care of cigars if they pass, and if you think some of those congressmen are going without their backroom deals complete with cigars... ;) I know the House bill is HR 662 and has over 160 co-sponsors on both sides of the isle. Irritated me by how many dems are on board with that, but we're the devil. :rolleyes:

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
And they will have a much harder time fighting it.

After all, cigars DO contain tobacco.

Teaming up with them would be fraught with some risks. People and opponents also look at the allies you pick.
And one of our strongest argument is that e-liquids do not contain tobacco.
If I'd be a vendor, I'd discontinue WTA products...

SE pathway might be an option, but substantially equivalent doesn't have to mean substantially cheaper.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Wouldn't cigars be able to gain approval through the SE or SE exemption pathways, since (obviously) they have been around long before February 2007?

Not for the large and premiums. They're typically hand rolled from natural (read: not messed with by tobacco companies) tobacco. There are changes in ph, nic content, even the veining on the outside roll leaf. When the FDA is talking SE, what they really mean is identical. Like every one of our protests that the deeming opening shoots down, there are those that are shot down for the cigar industry.

Jminton1985

Verified Member
May 11, 2016
Jacksonville Fl

As with all things, it all rolls downhill. Many small shops and people who aren't keeping up with whats going on with the FDA might not learn anything until it falls on their heads. I have been in vape shops that have not heard of the news yet.

Jminton1985

Verified Member
May 11, 2016
Jacksonville Fl
The pipe tobacco guys are getting ...... off too.....

The FDA is in limbo right now because of the election year and other internal issues. I'm sure at this point they're just trying to see what "can throw at the wall and get to stick..." (Ruby Roo).

I don't think the FDA understands just how overreaching this is, and moreover, the combined and constant bombardment from cigar, loose tobacco, and vape communities should help sway the new regulations. *fingers cossed*

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
The pipe tobacco guys are getting ...... off too.....

Those are the ones I feel the most sorry for. Estimates say they make up 0.8% of the U.S. population, a drop in the bucket compared to cigar smokers or vapers. A hand rolled cigar is smoked, gone, while a hand carved pipe is a one of a kind work of art. It would be like telling anyone that hand carves furniture that they had to stop because they aren't all identical like a factory would produce. Add to that the fact that they would have the same problem with small inconsistancies in their pipe tobacco (not the stuff that's really loose cigarette tobacco but is marketed as pipe tobacco) as cigars would, and they are in a world of hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread