Status
Not open for further replies.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
The FDA is in limbo right now because of the election year and other internal issues. I'm sure at this point they're just trying to see what "can throw at the wall and get to stick..." (Ruby Roo).

I don't think the FDA understands just how overreaching this is, and moreover, the combined and constant bombardment from cigar, loose tobacco, and vape communities should help sway the new regulations. *fingers cossed*

I hate to tell you this but unless something can be accomplished in the courts or through congress, that's it, the regs are set, filed yesterday.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
And they will have a much harder time fighting it.

After all, cigars DO contain tobacco.

Teaming up with them would be fraught with some risks. People and opponents also look at the allies you pick.
And one of our strongest argument is that e-liquids do not contain tobacco.
If I'd be a vendor, I'd discontinue WTA products...

SE pathway might be an option, but substantially equivalent doesn't have to mean substantially cheaper.
WTA eliquid contains no more tobacco than any tobacco-derived nicotine containing juice. In either case, by the time the chemicals are extracted there is no tobacco left.

Reactions: Sirius

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Other than here, I'm a member of a well respected cigar forum. I was reading around today it it seems they despise us vaping folk. "Ecig idiots" was one of the nicer things I read.

I highly doubt they would "tag team" with us. It almost looks like they think we're part of the problem...

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Gawd REALLY?!?
People are so misinformed. It makes me SICK!!!:facepalm:

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
There are currently companion bills in the House and Senate that will take care of cigars if they pass, and if you think some of those congressmen are going without their backroom deals complete with cigars... ;) I know the House bill is HR 662 and has over 160 co-sponsors on both sides of the isle. Irritated me by how many dems are on board with that, but we're the devil. :rolleyes:
Double standard government..It's been that way for awhile now.

Reactions: StormFinch

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina

Teaming up with them would be fraught with some risks. People and opponents also look at the allies you pick.

SE pathway might be an option, but substantially equivalent doesn't have to mean substantially cheaper.
I love your profile photo.
Here's one for the Sargent Shultz of the ANTZ movement..lol

13yqj3.jpg

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
The FDA is in limbo right now because of the election year and other internal issues. I'm sure at this point they're just trying to see what "can throw at the wall and get to stick..." (Ruby Roo).

I don't think the FDA understands just how overreaching this is, and moreover, the combined and constant bombardment from cigar, loose tobacco, and vape communities should help sway the new regulations. *fingers cossed*
Larry W. Faircloth (WV State Treasurer) is filing suit against the FDA.

Fight the FDA » Larry W Faircloth; West Virginia

Reactions: Jingles

Tufur

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
San Jose, Ca. usa
snip

So much anger, so little choices of a better government that won't regulate everything but air!
>covers mouth< I like to breath cheaply.

True Story:
Googled Trump Monster, got the usual..lol

View attachment 552805
It is not just cigars. I went off to some old stomping grounds for MYO and the FDA is going after the lightly cased pipe tobaccos. They are going to reinstate the old tax rule that differentiated cigarette from pipe tobacco by the amount of gunk added(casings.) Daughters and Ryan Tobacco is going to take a big hit and probably go out of business. I loved their Ryeback angel hair cut both when it was cigarette tobacco and then as part of their renamed pipe tobacco line.

And I found some people are dressing themselves up to be Trump's
running mate just in case they lose their job.
hillarytrumpmonster.jpg

Reactions: ENAUD

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com

But any cigars which were on the market before February 2007 are grandfathered in and do not require a PMTA or SE / SE equivalence application. This means that any new cigars can be approved through the SE or SE equivalence pathways and would not need the much more involved and costlier PMTA pathway.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Other than here, I'm a member of a well respected cigar forum. I was reading around today it it seems they despise us vaping folk. "Ecig idiots" was one of the nicer things I read.

I highly doubt they would "tag team" with us. It almost looks like they think we're part of the problem...
This is why we can't have nice things.

And not only that, but it clearly shows how screwed up this world is.
We won't be able to fix OUR problem until we can find a way to fix people in general.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
With a tag that indicates they [pipe cleaners] are not for use with tobacco products.
Well that will surely stop pipe smokers from using them to clean their pipes, causing their pipes to become completely clogged with tars, rendering them utterly useless, and forcing all the pipe smokers to give up their filthy, disgusting habit. Right?

o_O

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
But any cigars which were on the market before February 2007 are grandfathered in and do not require a PMTA or SE / SE equivalence application. This means that any new cigars can be approved through the SE or SE equivalence pathways and would not need the much more involved and costlier PMTA pathway.

The small cigar manufacture makes small batches of premium hand rolled cigars, and the blend changes all the time depending on what is available. The deeming would completely wipe out the small manufacture, just as it would with vaping. The SE pathway would still be far to expensive for the small batches made.

One of the reasons for seeing so much dislike for vaping among cigar people is that many people who vape are all to willing to throw all tobacco products under the bus to get some regulatory advantage (lot of good that has done). To many in the vaping world have turned anti-tobacco, and are all to willing to post the lies of the antis if they think they can get some advantage out of it. Your post is all to typical. The same applies to smokeless tobacco.

As someone who vapes, and also uses smokeless tobacco I find the general holier then thou attitude of many vaping enthusiast to be far to close to that of the ANTZ for comfort.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Well, just stating an obvious fact ( cigars containing tobacco ) that will give cigar smokers an even harder time than vapers to combat these deeming regs.
So their approach to beating theses regs would be from a different angle.
Which may not be such a bad thing. FDA takin heat from two different directions will force them to man more than one frontline. Then bring in the snus division from behind :D ...

And tobacco sticks, cigars, pipe, snus, snuff, or whatever else, I would like to smoke, vape, snus, snort the way I like. And have no problem whatsoever with others doing likewise.

Live and let live - easy as that.

Swedes were smart enough to get themselves an exemption. Joined the EU only if they were to keep their snus, Rest of the EU it's officially banned. But importing limited quantities for personal use is tolerated in most other EU member states.
Sweden has the lowest percentage of smokers. It also has a very low percentage of lung cancer.
But to Mr. Zeller, that would of course be only 'anecdotal evidence'...

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
The small cigar manufacture makes small batches of premium hand rolled cigars, and the blend changes all the time depending on what is available. The deeming would completely wipe out the small manufacture, just as it would with vaping. The SE pathway would still be far to expensive for the small batches made.

One of the reasons for seeing so much dislike for vaping among cigar people is that many people who vape are all to willing to throw all tobacco products under the bus to get some regulatory advantage (lot of good that has done). To many in the vaping world have turned anti-tobacco, and are all to willing to post the lies of the antis if they think they can get some advantage out of it. Your post is all to typical. The same applies to smokeless tobacco.

As someone who vapes, and also uses smokeless tobacco I find the general holier then thou attitude of many vaping enthusiast to be far to close to that of the ANTZ for comfort.

Agreed. Let's be clear, cigarettes cause all sorts of problems because of the regular use. If ANTZ were being truthful (I know, I know, quit laughing) they would admit that an occasional smoker doesn't have nearly the risks that a regular smoker does, and smokeless tobacco users have hardly any risks at all.

Back when smoking was becoming popular, the average number of cigarettes smoked was around 40 per month, or closer to that of a cigar smoker, and smoking related diseases were rare. Brad Rodu, who has championed our cause almost since the beginning, lays out the risks for each tobacco using population in one of his blog posts: Tobacco Truth: The Health Risks of Cigar Smoking

Reactions: nicnik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread