Cigarette Addiction, More Than Just Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notorious C.I.G.

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
United States
I have been doing some research on cigarette additives, I have found some very interesting information, some of it has lead me to other information pertaining to ecigs.

Pharmacological and Chemical Effects of Cigarette Additives

Highlights:
"Our findings indicated that more than 100 of 599 documented cigarette additives have pharmacological actions that camouflage the odor of environmental tobacco smoke emitted from cigarettes, enhance or maintain nicotine delivery, could increase the addictiveness of cigarettes, and mask symptoms and illnesses associated with smoking behaviors."

"
Reconstituted tobacco, referred to as “sheet,” is a major ingredient in modern cigarettes; sheet is manufactured from recycled stems, stalks, scraps, collected dust, and floor sweepings.7 Those materials are ground up, nicotine is extracted from them, and chemicals, fillers, glue, and other agents are added to the slurry."

"The tobacco industry used few additives in US cigarettes before 1970.18 However, current US-style cigarettes generally contain about a 10% level of additives according to weight"

"
In this study, we examined the tobacco industry’s use of additives that inhibit nicotine metabolism and increase the addictive potential of cigarettes"

"
If nicotine were the only addictive chemical affecting smoking behavior, then puffing should decrease as the amount of inhaled nicotine increases. However, this hypothesis does not account for the effects of other addictive substances in cigarettes. Acetaldehyde is formed in high concentrations when cigarette constituents, including sugars, are burned. Animal research conducted by Philip Morris demonstrated a synergistic interaction between nicotine and acetaldehyde: rats pressed a bar more for the combination than for either substance alone."

That last note explains one reason folks may have trouble kicking cigs, but on another note, acetaldehyde is some nasty stuff, I did more research on it and look what I found:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/hangover4.htm
"A product of alcohol metabolism that is more toxic than alcohol itself, acetaldehyde is created when the alcohol in the liver is broken down by an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase. The acetaldehyde is then attacked by another enzyme, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, and another substance called glutathione, which contains high quantities of cysteine (a substance that is attracted to acetaldehyde)."
"Unfortunately, the liver's stores of glutathione quickly run out when larger amounts of alcohol enter the system. This causes the acetaldehyde to build up in the body as the liver creates more glutathione, leaving the toxin in the body for long periods of time."
"Some of the most common hangover symptoms -- fatigue, stomach irritation and a general sense of illness all over -- can be further attributed to something called glutamine rebound."

So, basically, that crap is also what's responsible for hangovers, no thanks. If it makes you crave more nicotine, well, I may have found why drinking causes you to want more cigarettes!

I dug a little deeper, is acetaldehyde in e-cigs? It shouldn't be, because while ejuice has sugar, it doesn't combust and burn, but look at the research.

First thing I found was a news article stating that ecig vapor has acetaldehyde and formaldehyde, but at a level of 20% of cigarettes. But don't let that scare you, as usual, the media has twisted the facts of the study. Turns out, a healthy humans exhale formaldehyde, and that may have been the source of the formaldehyde detected in the study, and not the ecig, as was mentioned explicitly in the study, but not in the media reports of the study.
German Cancer Research Center and the case of formaldehyde in e-cigarettes Countless mistakes, impressive misinformation
And here is the graph
28u1jjs.png

Also, if you take a good look at that graph, even if 0 of the formaldehyde was from exhalation, where did they come up it 20%?!?Levels only went up over time by about 10ppb. That would make the number 10%, not 20%, the 20% number which is being reported in mainstream media is just a flat out lie, maybe they "forgot" to factor out the 10ppb that was already in the air before the study started?

What about the acetaldehyde? I'll get back to that in a second, back to formaldehyde for a moment.

If you still worried about formaldehyde, take a look at this:
gr2.jpg

Normal indoor air is up to 80ppb, while in the sterile closed-off chamber in the study, levels didn't even reach 20ppb after 3 ecigs, which includes all of the what's in normal human exhalation, and the 10ppb that was in the air to start with.

Ok, back to Acetaldehyde, this is from another study
1zgffk9.png

As far as acetaldehyde goess, the ratio between an ecigs and a regular one was was 1 to 450, so no worries, especially since the tiny bit could also have been from exhalation :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread