Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The way you already did it is how I do it and yes the resistance will be a little lower, I just allow for that.
You can also use Wire wizard to model it accurately. I personally find this tool difficult to use so good luck.

Something is Funky with that Wire Wizard.

Because when I plug in the Values for a 3.5mm ID 5 wrap Clapton with a 28ga NiChrome 80 Core and a 32ga NiChrome 80 Outer, I get the Same Resistance as I do for a Regular 28ga Coil.

In fact, I can Increase the Outer Wire gauge to 22ga on the Clapton, and the Calculated Resistance doesn't change much.

Maybe I am doing something Wrong? Or maybe there is a Glitch in the Algorithm?

Reactions: defdock

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Why would you want to do that? In my mind this wouldn't be good for the wire heating aspects, but I could be wrong.

Because the wrap of a clapton is really supposed to act as part of the wicking more than part of the resistance wire. It's a way to add surface area to the coil without affecting resistance much. In the beginning Claptons were called Cladded or "self wicking" coils. Wasn't until a guitar player saw them they got their current name. Wasn't till the introduction of the High wattage and TC mods that people started installing them with the cladding in place.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Don't really think it negatively affects electrical flow. I only use single battery mechs. Seems they demand more power than a battery alone can provide to work properly. Lots of metal there to heat up. Yes, I know they can be run on mechs, but they really do their best when you boost the wattage above what a battery alone provides at a given ohm rate.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Because the wrap of a clapton is really supposed to act as part of the wicking more than part of the resistance wire. It's a way to add surface area to the coil without affecting resistance much. In the beginning Claptons were called Cladded or "self wicking" coils. Wasn't until a guitar player saw them they got their current name. Wasn't till the introduction of the High wattage and TC mods that people started installing them with the cladding in place.

I wonder How Many people today are running a Clapton Coil (or any Multiple Wire coil) using just the Core as the conductor?

I would think that Most People who are Building with Multiple Wires would want a Calculator which Estimates Resistance, Ramp Up Time and Heat Flux for a Coil where the Entire Coil has the same Electrical Properties.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I wonder How Many people today are running a Clapton Coil (or any Multiple Wire coil) using just the Core as the conductor?

I would think that Most People who are Building with Multiple Wires would want a Calculator which Estimates Resistance, Ramp Up Time and Heat Flux for a Coil where the Entire Coil has the same Electrical Properties.

I doubt many new vapers today are striping back the cladding, at all. Most don't know you can do this. Maybe a few using C-coils on a mech. Most everyone I see using these coil is running them boosted on a Regulated device.

Steam-engine.org calculator does all that. Ramp up/down time estimate is what the Heat Capacity value tells you.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, I now I don't (at the moment), but I'm interested to try it out now. Test if there are any differences between using the full clapton opposed to just the core connecting to the posts. Hmm, experimentation coming up :vapor:

To Me, this is the Coolest thing about Building Coils. You can try all kinds of Combinations and Geometries.

And the Only way to Know if Something Works Better (or Worse) is to Try it for Themselves.

Reactions: fatum

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
just popped dual 3mm coils 24/30g 7 wraps. .35 ohms. running at 122 watts on my RX and quite nice. Stripped back the outer wrapping off the legs.

So the $64,000 Question is how does it Compare to the Same set-up with Unstripped Legs?

Did you notice a Change in Ramp-Up Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread