Cleaning: Alcohol vs Vodka

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
This is a great idea for attys and cartos, but for clearos it isn't the best idea. Not sure what the OP uses, I never really asked, and assumed he used clearos, as otherwise I figured he would be boiling. Although, when I was using cartos, I did use iso as well. My bad if i was incorrect in my assumptions.

Patrick, what is your weapon of choice?;)

I'm using VOLT's. Just started so no particular reason except I saw several You Tubes. Re: Clearoes(sp). There seems to be problems with them cracking, leaking etc. so I was not ready to get into them just yet. But considering this clean-up thing it might well be worth it.

bigpman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Great place to start:)

I started on a metro e-cig, kind of similar, but the volt is def better. Clearo's are not for everyone, but after a few months of research and trials, I have settled on my favorites the CE3XL. No leaking, great flavor and vapor. There is only one downfall, they must be filled with a syringe. I fill 3 of them for the day and I am good to go, so no need to carry my syringe... although I carry a ton of stuff, including the syringe, 5 bottles/flavors of juice, 3 batteries, Stardusts, a few fluxos, 4 CE3s, some adaptors..... I am just a vaping junkie....oh God, I need help!;)

I'm using VOLT's. Just started so no particular reason except I saw several You Tubes. Re: Clearoes(sp). There seems to be problems with them cracking, leaking etc. so I was not ready to get into them just yet. But considering this clean-up thing it might well be worth it.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
Great place to start:)

.... Clearo's are not for everyone, but after a few months of research and trials, I have settled on my favorites the CE3XL. No leaking, great flavor and vapor. There is only one downfall, they must be filled with a syringe. I fill 3 of them for the day and I am good to go, so no need to carry my syringe... although I carry a ton of stuff, including the syringe, 5 bottles/flavors of juice, 3 batteries, Stardusts, a few fluxos, 4 CE3s, some adapters..... I am just a vaping junkie....oh God, I need help!;)

I think I'm going to move to Clero's after this. Like the Volt and already have a ton of stuff(only been a week). Move over junkie! Was beginning to think that rinse, shake, spin around was going to be a hassle. Besides, my carto's are not painted, they are wrapped. Lost a couple of warps already. Thinking I'll get a couple of atomizers for flavor development then figure a way to pack around full Clero's.

bigpman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome aboard, fellow junkie;)

The wrapping might be an issue with boiling or soaking in iso. I suspect the iso, or boiling water, will kill the glue and it might actually seep into the polyfill, not a good idea... Either peel off, with the chance of leaving glue on there, or continue with the syringe rinsing. You can order 801 carto, empty, fairly cheap too. maybe toss and replace is another option. This just proves the point of what a hassle they really are if you want to reuse over and over....

I think I'm going to move to Clero's after this. Like the Volt and already have a ton of stuff(only been a week). Move over junkie! Was beginning to think that rinse, shake, spin around was going to be a hassle. Besides, my carto's are not painted, they are wrapped. Lost a couple of warps already. Thinking I'll get a couple of atomizers for flavor development then figure a way to pack around full Clero's.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
I'm looking into this as we speak. I'm not 801, I'm Kr808D-1. I got a 801 to 510 adapter and guess what, no go! The Kr808D-1 appears to be relatively new(horz. coil). Like I said, just been a week. Trying to understand this thing of ours has been a trip. Ego,510,901,801,808,808D-1, 808D-2,...... Betamax anyone. My observation is that this community is in the "old west" period. I think most suppliers ASSUME the reader(customer) is just as knowledgeable as they. Much like those who write technical manuals. I'm starting to break through but it hasn't been easy.

P.S. Looking at vapininthecape right now,but.... I guess its a crap shoot.

bigpman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oooh, rookie mistake on my part. I was sure you had a beta and not VHS...LOL. I am still fairly new myself. It's very close to the video wars right now, and to me, it seems that 510 and eGo are coming out on top. Still fair game, though. I have 2 months, of about 4 hours a day, of learning into the ecig world and I STILL don't know everything....scary...

Anyone remember, owned, or used, the Laserdisc (that big honking DVD)? LOL

I'm looking into this as we speak. I'm not 801, I'm Kr808D-1. I got a 801 to 510 adapter and guess what, no go! The Kr808D-1 appears to be relatively new(horz. coil). Like I said, just been a week. Trying to understand this thing of ours has been a trip. Ego,510,901,801,808,808D-1, 808D-2,...... Betamax anyone. My observation is that this community is in the "old west" period. I think most suppliers ASSUME the reader(customer) is just as knowledgeable as they. Much like those who write technical manuals. I'm starting to break through but it hasn't been easy.

P.S. Looking at vapininthecape right now,but.... I guess its a crap shoot.

bigpman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
LMAO, a suitcase!! NICE:)

Mine are taking up an entire drawer in my dresser. and part of the top of the dresser for my daily items, in a nice Red Sky Mods Desk Caddy

7637800_orig.jpg

View attachment 107168 In to deep now. Pushing forward!

bigpman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

k3vin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
OK USA
www.vaperstek.org
Guys and Gals we go through a rotation of about 20 attys a day during our testing and mixing sessions. I can tell you the fastest and easiest way to get great results every time is to put all your attys in a pot of boiling water. You don't need a ton of water, a half inch above the attys will do. Boil for 5 minutes, drain, refill and repeat. I boil them 3 times to make sure every flavor is out. I then shake out any water inside the atty and place them on a cookie sheet at 185 degrees for 20-30 minutes. When the timer goes off, you've got "like new" attys again.

DISCLAIMER - Over time, this method may cause your paint to start chipping on the outside of your atty.

As always, your mileage may vary, but after using PGA and vodka for a long time, the boil method is the cheapest and easiest and works every time...

I use pga ,but this I will try,never boiled em,but heck why not..pga is not exactly cheap nowadays..

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
If you use rubbing alcohol, make sure your rinse the atty afterwards. Even though it evaporates, the film it leaves behind is not good for your liver according to my doctor who also vapes. She stresses this every time I see her. So please rinse it well.

hairball,

Thanks for your concern, but...

My issue is dry time(water = longer) and as such alcohol is the better way to go, but, cost is also a concern but not to the exclusion of health.

64oz. 99% ISP(rubbing alcohol) = $5.16
59oz. Vodka (40%/80 proof) = $13.00
59oz. Ev erclear (151 or 190 proof, meaning 75.5 or 95 percent ethanol, respectively.) = $34.

So, would you ask your doctor if she has an opinion regarding 91% vs 70% as to residue. 91% would be considerably cleaner than 70% and might be as safe as everclear in reality. If not I am leaning towards a disposable approach for carts and a tank/Clero's for everyday use.

Cleaning carts appears to be a hassle to me.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
hairball,

Thanks for your concern, but...

My issue is dry time(water = longer) and as such alcohol is the better way to go, but, cost is also a concern but not to the exclusion of health.

64oz. 99% ISP(rubbing alcohol) = $5.16
59oz. Vodka (40%/80 proof) = $13.00
59oz. Ev erclear (151 or 190 proof, meaning 75.5 or 95 percent ethanol, respectively.) = $34.

So, would you ask your doctor if she has an opinion regarding 91% vs 70% as to residue. 91% would be considerably cleaner than 70% and might be as safe as everclear in reality. If not I am leaning towards a disposable approach for carts and a tank/Clero's for everyday use.

Cleaning carts appears to be a hassle to me.

I will get ahold of her on monday and post back here as to what she says.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
We need a clarification of terms here.

"Rubbing alcohol" can be either isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol. 91% isopropyl leaves no residue of any sort; denatured alcohol is booze alcohol which has had denaturing toxins added to it to make it undrinkable. It definitely leaves a residue!

I'd never use denatured alcohol for cleaning any vaping hardware!

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
We need a clarification of terms here.

"Rubbing alcohol" can be either isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol. 91% isopropyl leaves no residue of any sort; denatured alcohol is booze alcohol which has had denaturing toxins added to it to make it undrinkable. It definitely leaves a residue!

I'd never use denatured alcohol for cleaning any vaping hardware!

I don't really know except "denatured" is not part of my thinking here. Just 91% iso, 70% rubbing alcohol(as labeled).
I found the 91% says iso where the 70% says "rubbing". I think in chemical semantics they are both considered rubbing. If 91% leaves no residue then it should be as safe as everclear at 1/6th. the cost.

Just being "does a frog's .... leak" tight here:oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread