Cleaning Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffinStuff

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2009
Washington State
I never clean mine unless the performance drops way off. I have had attys last for months and some only last a week. Dont kinow why. I would nver boil an atty as they have a small silicone ring on the bottom that can melt and you could get a short.

I blow mine out with canned air a couple of times a day just to keep the residual juice from cooking onto them. Not only to blow excess juice out but you also get a lot of condensation from the vapor itself. This method has worked really weill keeping them clean and running strong.

When I soak in vodka, I soak for an hour or so, run under hot tap and blow them out with canned air, let them drain overnight.

Your atty that is drawing hard may be flooded or have some gunk that did not come loose. I boiled 2 attys (801) when I first started vaping and they died a few days later. Try blowing out with canned air. Also, it is always a good idea to have extra attys on hand. Sometimes they die for no reason.

Last edited:

Bruce H

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2009
Gaithersburg, Maryland
I don't clean an atty unless I Have to get a flavor out or it seems to be losing performance:rolleyes: Then I just do the polident 10 min soak, rinse well with HOT water, blow out from the batt end and let dry overnight:) I don't continually fuss with them, keep them wet and they keep going just like little energizers8-o

Mine are 510 attys

RIMP:evil:

Pretty much what I said. Thanks for confirming. :lol:

oldtechno

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2009
United States of America
Brasso--the same polisher chemical soldiers use to polish the brass with on their uniforms.

Has anybody tried that before--you know, clean the atty first, then use a ten minute Brasso bath, then wash it off with alcohol?

The reason I mention it is, people use a lot of cleaners on these atomizers...some of it might cause tarnish to form...tarnish and electrical current don't get along.

Just wondering.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Brasso? I don't think that's such a hot idea either, I used that stuff in the USN and there is no way in hell I am putting that in something I am going to purposely heat up and inhale...uh-huh not me. My first thought was that you were joking, but seriously no way would I use that to clean the atomizer, I would sooner spend the $10 and get a new one.

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
the polident for partials is made to clean the metal on partial dentures. It is also used to clean retainers etc. Might work good on attys.

We also have a forum member, Sattec, that has been working on developing a cleaner especially for cleaning atomizers. I have had good luck with 100 proof vodka and a can of air. I soak, rinse and blow out. So far, so good! These are 801 attys.
.................................................................................................

I've been using Ever Clear, I seem to get about two weeks on my 801's.

Looks like Polident is working best so far? Maybe it's the scrubbing bubbles?

I've been cleaning with the Ever Clear when I notice the performance diminishing. The atty is going on 1 1/2 weeks now.

Last edited:

xogul

Sep 8, 2009
Portugal, EU
What about Isopropyl alcohol?
I use this a lot to clean electronic computer components (cpu, heatsinks and ram modules). Theres a good explanation on wikipedia but can't put links yet.

What is the best 'home solution' to clean a atomizer, after all (no dry burn, please)? A proven one, by someone. I've been reading posts here and there and it seems that there is no conclusion.

Nepenthy

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Cbus, Ohio
Ive resurrected several 801's now by letting them sit in white vinegar, in a cheap walmart jewlery cleaner for 15 mins. Rinse with water and let sit, or if impatient, hit it with a hair dryer for a few mins. I will normally get a lot of little black particles in the vinegar bath when Im done. Think the jewlery cleaners just agitate the bath, so filling your atty with vinegar and capping the top and bottom with your finger and shaking vigorously would probably do the same thing. 6 or 7 drops on the atty and a full cart and youre good to go. First couple hits may be harsh on the throat, so be careful.

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
What about Isopropyl alcohol?
I use this a lot to clean electronic computer components (cpu, heatsinks and ram modules). Theres a good explanation on wikipedia but can't put links yet.

I've been told here not to use it because it's not pure enough. I'm not sure I understand why, though, since my isopropyl alcohol is 91%, whereas lots of people use Vodka at far lower alcohol percentages. Maybe it's that the other 9% isn't intended for consumption, so it's worse stuff?

I still plan to use it with Q-tips to clean battery contacts. The connector in my PCC is definitely getting all gunked up.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Depends on the atomizer what method is going to work best. I have cleaned the 510 with polident and won't use anything else to clean that style with. The 401 I used diet coke and let it sit for an hour or so, remove dry and let dry overnight before using.

I have found those methods have worked the easiest, and most importantly they worked, and were totally safe since I doubt Coca Cola or Polident has stuff in it that cannot be ingested into the body.

Data4

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
Tacoma, WA
so what is the "atomizer auto cleaning procedure" printed in the dse901 manual (and maybe others).

With automatic batteries (powered by the action of puffing as opposed to a button you press), if you draw for more than a few seconds, the LED will flash about 5 times slowly and your atty will heat up. In theory, this is supposed to burn off residual juice on the atty coil and bridge, but advanced vapers who direct drip find that this doesn't do much more than waste battery power.

If you're a light to moderate vaper who only uses carts, the auto clean should be sufficient, but a monthly coke or vodka soak might be needed if you find the draw getting firmer as time goes by.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Depends on the atomizer what method is going to work best. I have cleaned the 510 with polident and won't use anything else to clean that style with. The 401 I used diet coke and let it sit for an hour or so, remove dry and let dry overnight before using.

I have found those methods have worked the easiest, and most importantly they worked, and were totally safe since I doubt Coca Cola or Polident has stuff in it that cannot be ingested into the body.

I posted on two other threads, one was the poll on how long attys last. I read this thread a couple days ago and decided to try the polident method with two 510 attys. The one appeared dead and the other was vaping weak. I did as suggested here although I think I left them in closer to a half hour, then hot water, blew them out with compressed air and fired them up the next day. Now I have two atty's that work as good as the day I first fired them up. Liked the method because I had tried other things with little success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread