Cleaning Blu/Volcano Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

osubckys

Oct 22, 2009
What is the best method for cleaning Blu/Volcano atomizers?

I use the stock Volcano carts, but I like to refill w/Johnson Creek reduced PG juice. I have 4 batts (2 Blu & 2 Volcano) and switch out 5 attys. I only get good vapor from 3 of the atomizers. I have searched through these forums and never seen anything specific to cleaning the Blu/Volcano atomizers. Any help is appreciated.

tkiller

Sep 22, 2009
Kansas, USA
Best way I've found so far to clean the blu/volcano atty's is to use the same method as removing the nasty primer from them when they're new. I just take a piece of paper towel or something similar, hold it on one end of the atty, and blow as hard as I can into the other side, and then switch and go from the other side, and do that until you can't get anything else out of them. I haven't tried using alcohol or any cleaning liquids yet, as this method has worked fine for me to restore atty's that aren't giving me much vapor. Hope this helps.

osubckys

Oct 22, 2009
I used a paper towel to clean the threading on both the atomizer and the battery. I couldn't believe the amount of greyish black gunk that came off. Then I blew out the burnt up juice from each atomizer. This helped with 3 of them. Now I am going to take the worst offender and try the Coke method, thanks Kno. I'll keep you posted.

Oh and while this disappointment continues, I ordered my 510 and it should be here tomorrow.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I use a little Absolut Vodka to wash mine out occasionally. Maybe I'm just lucky but mine don't seem to get all that dirty. I read somewhere that Isopropyl alcohol creates a bad aftertaste in some cases, and could be exposing people to some unhealthy chemicals (i.e. the ones used to keep the stuff from being drinkable).

I noticed that a few of my attys weren't working as well as when I first bought them. In my case it was not a cleaning issue. The coil was not dirty enough to prevent proper functioning.

If you take a magnifying glass and look under the mesh bridge you can see the heating coil. In that area you will also see some fine clear-ish looking fibers. These fibers help transfer the juice from the bridge to the coil.

After some rather excessive use, these transfer fibers eventually get worn out and burnt looking. In the poorly functioning attys, the fibers were really burnt. One end of the fibers are wrapped around the bottom of the bridge legs where they attach to the atty. The loose ends lay near the coil. When the fibers are heavily damaged, the atty doesn't wick as efficiently as it should.

Disassembling the atty is, unfortunately, a destructive act. The only way to replace the damaged fibers, the way the factory builds them, is to destroy the atty.

They are only $4-$6 a pop for a new replacement. They do last for quite a lot of use. When performance drops, pop in a new one. I generally keep a few spares and I would just order a few more when supply gets low (which should take a while). Since Volcano ships within 24 hours, you probably wouldn't have any vaping interruptions.

I am currently looking into repair methods but most exceed replacement cost in terms of time spent messing with the tiny little buggers or in cost of the supplies necessary to complete the job.

Viv Savage

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have Volcano attys. I clean them every time I change flavors... maybe I'm overdoing it and rinsing them off in hot water would be sufficient, but I've been doing the rubbing alcohol routine (got it off some forum and it seemed like an okay idea). So, I swirl the atty around in isopropyl alcohol then let it soak in there for maybe 5 minutes (close to submerged). Then, I'll rinse it off for about a minute in very hot water. I let it air dry on a paper towel overnight.

Seems to be doing the job, although I am a very light vaper (I'm on zero nicotine), so I may be over cleaning them. I've actually just started dipping a couple weeks ago and I've been going through a bunch of juice samplers, which is why I'm cleaning them as much as I am. I have a feeling once I settle on the flavors I like, I'll be doing a lot less cleaning... but will probably need a good procedure when I do for that some reason... so I look forward to hearing about the most effective method!

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I tried it after reading a thread by Sattec (spelling?). He came up with the Crest Pro mouthwash blue stuff. I tried it a couple of nights ago but instead of following his instructions to the letter, I rinsed the attys out with hot water after the mouthwash soak. It worked for me. No probs out of the four I cleaned, and all four were real poor before cleaning. Now all four are back up to at least 90%-95%. They certainly draw easier than they were and vapor production is back up to spec. Took a while to get em back flowing though. Sort of like having to re-break them back in.

I won't be using rubbing alcohol or Absolut anymore as both left a really funny after taste while re-breaking them in. Mouthwash does too but only for a draw or two. I do stick with menthol though so maybe it just blends in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread