Cleaning Copper Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusianSky

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
Pittsburgh
I just polished the tube of my Overdose using Brasso. Came out pretty good. I will be looking at other options, particularly with the rag. I used an old t-shirt, dampened. While it worked pretty good, I'm sure i can get something better. Actually, I was wondering if a genuine leather shammy would work good. I put a strip of Brasso on the shirt, put the tube in and used a twisting motion to polish. It brought a decent mirror polish, but it could be better. I left the 510 and switch unpolished and I kind of like the accents it gives the mod.

fati

Jun 21, 2014
Quebec Canada
Lol. As a plumbing guy I thought of that as well. Flux does a damn good job of cleaning but would be messy as hell on a mod just to clean it. On the plus side we could solder a couple together, have a good joint and connection and vape on a quad 18350 mod lol.

Hehe, same, nice to met a vaping plumber, didnt see a lot around, most of the construction workers I know are all pretty much conservative. As for my part I really enjoy stealth vaping on the job sites while other's have to go out to even think about analogs.

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
Hehe, same, nice to met a vaping plumber, didnt see a lot around, most of the construction workers I know are all pretty much conservative. As for my part I really enjoy stealth vaping on the job sites while other's have to go out to even think about analogs.

Conservative construction workers dont use the internet? Or vape?

TomGeorge

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Buffalo/Rochester
Conservative construction workers dont use the internet? Or vape?

Yeah thats funny! "How does that world wide web thing work?? My small conservative brain cant figure it out!!" :facepalm: My dad is a construction worker, conservative, uses a zmax and an RSST, and the internet. Maybe things are different for fati up in Canada.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
Simple and cheap, but efective

If all you want is to clean it, soak it in white vinegar for a few hours, you'll be amazed at how efective it is at cleaning copper. When done, just rinse it in water and dry it out. If you want a natural patina to form with use, no further action required.

If you want a shinny surface, then polish it up with neverdul or mothers or capecod or... They will also protect the surface from developing a deep patina for a while.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
yup ketchup cleans it right up because it has a lot of vinegar in it. It's prefered by many since it is cheap, usually in everyone's fridge and is easy to work with. There are many ways to clean copper, as long as you're not using an abrasive, there is no wrong way to do it.

Just keep them contacts clean and vape on!

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
On the subject of cleaning...

I received a nice, shiny Nemesis clone from focalecig. Everything but the top cap and airflow control ring was sealed with a clear coating. So its all bright and shiny except for the dull top cap. I used some brasso since I've used that on brass mods. Now the cap and ring look clean. But they are lighter in color and not the slightly reddish tint that the rest of the mod. Do I now need to buff and polish it to get it from the clean look to the reddish look? If so, how exactly? Or do I need something like mothers instead?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

UncHellMatt

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Boston
I've been using this on my brass Vanilla Mod, and then I buff it with a carnauba wax polish. It keeps the tarnish off for maybe a few weeks, then I give it a nice buff with some soft cloth (basically cloth baby diaper). I give it a touch up with fresh wax about once a month, if that.

For a while I'd used a spray based lacquer, which really kept it shiny, but it would chip here and there, and I'd end up having to strip it and reapply which was a bigger pain in the .... Now I just polish / wax.

Skenzer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
West MI
Vinegar and salt method works great for me. Just make a mixture and pour some over the mod. Rub it in until the tarnish is gone. Rinse and dry. Finish it off with a dab of vegetable oil for the polish. Seriously, vegetable oil works amazingly well. Of course, keep the vegetable oil off the threads and other contact points for the battery and your topper of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread