Cleaning eGo Battery

Discussion in 'eGo Type Models' started by tazzmann, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazzmann

tazzmann Accessories Supplier ECF Veteran

I have an eGo and while changing Atty's this morning I noticed that there was some wetness on the center post of the battery. Since I drip, I thought, Ok too much juice once. So I got a q-tip and cleaned the inside.

While doing this, I noticed that I got some black "stuff" off of the threads. I cleaned all this stuff off and put it all back together and actually got better vaper. :vapor:I think this is because the "black stuff" was creating a resistance on the negative side thus the battery was not putting out the same voltage to the atty as it should.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just tarnish from the brass? Wha'ts up dudes and dudettes!?:pop:

Thanks!

tazz

2. Bella Chic

Bella Chic Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I always Q-Tip the battery so it stays nice and clean, especially before putting it on the charger. This is the only way I've ever cleaned my eGo batteries too and I've had them for months now.

3. Happy Domino38

Happy Domino38 Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

I agree with the big boss, Ms. Bella..Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol does the trick!! :)

4. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I think if you q-tip out the inside of your eGo cone you will find the same "black stuff".

Allthought it could be tarnish from the center post. It is more likely un-vaped juice that has come from your atomizer or cartomizers. It could also be some residual oil that was not removed after the tapping of the connector threads.

I like to swab out ALL my batteries about once every 2 weeks or so. A little rubbing alcohol on a q-tip works wonders.

5. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

+1

Yup! Folks aren't quite sure what it is, but it is not related to dripping. They just call it black gunk. Yes it will cause interference with the exchange of electrons.

The above mentioned maintenance procedure needs to be carried out weekly on battery mods, where the case is used as the negative pole.

6. stubear62

stubear62 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I do this every time I go to charge my eGo batt.
    I take a Q-tip and go around the inside threads where the atty attaches to. I use a clean, dry q-tip and use it about 3 or 4 times.That is about every 2 days I start with a new one..
    I only use the alcohol on the charger threads and the threads of the batt if I had any juice go in there.
    The black you see is actually the "dead" electrons that have been deposited to the threads and they can cause either damage, faulty atty problems (less vapor) and may even killthe batt and atty prematurely.
    I NEVER use the alcohol on the atty threads at all.
    I only squeeze the atty thread between a paper towel and use my finger nail to try to 'push' the paper towel into the atty threads to clean them.

7. zoiDman

Supporting member
    "Dead" Electrons ??? I didn't know that electrons were even alive let alone could die. I wonder if good electrons go to heaven? And if so, were do agnostic electrons go when they die?

8. $hua

$hua Super Member ECF Veteran

The River Styx?

Glad someone asked this question,, i thought i just had dirty batt threads all the time....

9. aphlaque_duck

aphlaque_duck Senior Member ECF Veteran

Perhaps US and Australian eGo users could arrange to exchange PVs annually. The periodic change in polarity would ensure that the dead electrons do not accumulate. This is what is known as "alternating current" and is the only way we are able to have continuous electricity in our homes.

10. sjohnson

sjohnson Super Member ECF Veteran

Brass O X I D A T I O N, not "dead" electrons.

11. Jules22871

Jules22871 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

At least twice a week I clean the connectors on all batteries and attys that are in use. E liquid builds up and gunks up and just totally messes with the contacts.

12. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Aaaah yes… Oxidation

The subtle interaction of Oxygen and reactive Metals. Bane to the common man and the source of endless conversation among Metallurgy instructors. When will a civilized world ever rid themselves of this age old scourge?

Although it would be easy to pin the blame for the eGo’s Black Gunk on a Redox reaction, I don’t think that is the culprit. In that, the Oxides that are formed on the surface of a reactive or semi-reactive metal when brought in contact with Oxygen and water have extremely strong bonds to the underlying substrate. These bonds are not easily broken by the mere rubbing of a mild mannered Q-Tip.

No, I think there is a Deeper, more Sinister cause to the appearance of this Black Gunk.

Is it possible that the Vaporization and subsequent Inhalation of e-Juice is not a 100% efficient process? Could there be residual vapor deposited on the battery connector during the vaping cycle? Could such a residue contain cantenated Hydrocarbon chains? And then this residual vapor acquire airborne particulates and then collect on the battery connector and it’s threads?

Possibly. Or there could be a simpler reason such as Witchcraft or Modern Day Alchemy.

But if I am ever on Jeopardy and the answer comes up “Black Gunk on a E-Cig Battery Connector.” I’m going to say. “What is Un-Vaped e-Juice Alex?”.

13. Happy Domino38

:shock:

Jesus zoiDman, put down the PV, willya? :lol:

And, my votes for Witchcraft Alex....

14. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Sorry Domino38, But you didn't phrase your answer in the form of a question.

15. tazzmann

tazzmann Accessories Supplier ECF Veteran

:lol: Nice!

16. Happy Domino38

Damn. :oops: :cry: :party:

17. chanderson50

chanderson50 Full Member

I'm going to have to agree with zoiDman. I just received my new eGo batteries
    and cones. no gunk so it isn't machining oil. If it were "dead elctrons" I would think, you wouldn't see it on the threads of the cone as no electricity passes through that area. I vote for unvaped juice.

18. potholerepairman

potholerepairman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Great reminder to clean the batteries , I got lazy and needed to read this again.

19. sjohnson

sjohnson Super Member ECF Veteran

Brass oxidizes, and the surface will look black. The oxidation wipes off with a tissue due to the mild abrasive nature of paper. If what comes off has a green hue to it, it's an oxide of copper (present in brass) and possibly of zinc, also part of the brass alloy.

If I had juice turning black on my battery threads, I'd be questioning my use of that juice.

20. sanfordf

sanfordf Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Metal rubbing metal also contributes to the gunk. Very fine particulates. Q-tip often to keep things clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.