Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I just drop my coil head in a cup of hot water and let it soak overnight. Then I let it dry on a paper towel. I do this every couple of days before I get any burnt taste. Then I put the coil head on the base remove the chimney and attach it to my cheap ego battery and dry burn for a second til it glows. I leave the flavor wicks in place cause last time I removed them I lost them. I put a drop of e liquid on the wicks and let it soak in. Then I put the tank back together and vape on.
I had some juice that would burn quick in the iclear, but never had that problem with the protank.
I think the key is cleaning before its burnt.

I was thinking about that today; was dry burning my protank head and got to the point that it was glowing red; I really wasn't so sure I was going to see a red hot coil, but yep it's true; when the thing goes dry the coil can get red hot.

Then I read somewhere somebody cautioned about dry burning it might burn the grommet down at the bottom where the ends of the coil are compresseed between the grommet and metal; so I'm thinking it's important to stop the dry burning at the point where the coil starts to glow like you said.

By the way you might want to get yourself one of those bypass/passthrus like on my avatar especially for dryburning.

louis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Mt Vernon,Texas
DOes anyone have trouble with using Everclear to clean. WHen I have used that I am having trouble with the bottom seall on the coil head not sealing & get juice through the center post. In other words flooding. The seal never seals good again & I am thinking it is the Everclear.
You opinions please?

louis

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
Good old baking soda in a hot ultrasonic bath with a water ultra sonic rinse cycle. I take out the heads and separate them from the base and toss them in. Then let dry overnight.

The problem with drinking alcohol is that it could attack some of the finishes on the clones as well as the plastic tanks on some of the other bottom coils. There are plenty of clones out there and knock off's like Smoktech which use an all plastic tank and can take the same heads as the original Kanger.

Denatured alcohol will take off some of the finish.

You can go fancy on your US cleaner or get something simple as long as the tank is metal.

I am amazed at how much gunk comes out and how much my water/baking soda mix smells of juice after the first cycle.

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
UPDATE: I did manage to take apart the head from my new Protank to clean and dry burn it, but I couldn't follow 317's instructions as he showed on the video.

The only way I could remove the stem from the head was to use a pair of needle-nosed pliers. I also tapped the stem down with the same pair of pliers to get it back onto the coil assembly. I don't have the finger strength to wiggle it off bare-handed.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Here my techinque:
Tools used:
Pill Bottle, Tweezers, Needle Nosed pliers (Optional for stem removal), Protank or similar tank base, vv/vw PV.
Isopropyl Alcohol (Not Rubbibg Alcohol)

Process:
Drop atomizers into pill bottle
Add sufficient Iso to cover atomizer(s), allow to soak for 24 hours
Remove atomizer(s) and rinse under warm tap water forcing water into the stem for 20-30 seconds.
Blow through the stem to remove any water trapped inside and blot dry with a paper towel.
Allow to air dry.
install the atomizer onto the Protank base.
Remove the stem seal, remove the stem (pull while gently rocking the stem)
Carefully remove the flavor wick(s) Note: The atomizer wick generally consists of a flavor wick(s) on top of a coil wrapped wick.
Attach the Protank base with your atomizer installed onto your PV, powerup, voltage 3.7.
Using 3 second on/3 second off, dry burn the coil until all windings glow red. The coil wick should also turn white. Blow off any ash.
Place the flavor wick(s) as close as you can to directly on top of the coil wick.
Repeat the 3 second on/off process 3 or 4 times to cleanup the flavor wick.
Reinstall the stem and stem seal.
Your atomizer should be good to go.

Good Luck

randomhousegir

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Riverton, Utah
Thought I would share my experience. I dry burned a coil I had and I jave done it before so I knew what to do. Did my dry burn, no more burned smell, red coils, bam, back into the tank......still burned.....checked my dry coil....everything looked fine..did one more dry burn for good measure.....still burned. Figured coil was done for so put in a new coil...STILL BURNED!!! Changed juice cause it was kinda dark..nothing special but being thorough....burned.......?!? Looked in my mouth piece and there was tobacco in it....from when I put my mod in an old jacket I was wearing...it was all dark and gross....blew out mouthpiece BAM nice and tasty again. Hope that helps someone sometime. ..sorry for run on sentences I just needed to get this posted during my quick vape break at work haha

all my DIY mixes are 12mg nic in a 50/50 pg/vg solution. You can use any amount of nic to your preference though. Happy Vaping!

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Didn't realize cleaning was necessary until the vape began to taste stale. Reminded me of relighting a analog that was snuffed out an hour before. I dropped the coil in hot water, as previously advised, and noticed the wicks were again white. I just started this journey and use Evod. I didn't remove the stem and rinse the coil and wick...just soaked. Should I start doing a full disassemble?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Be careful cleaning with vodka. I recommend a distilled water rinse afterwords since vaping alcohol can be very dangerous.

I know the alcohol is a common practice but personally avoid the risk.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Alcohol evaporates very quickly. It is also used in many flavoring and to dilute very thick juices (or to increase TH). There is no danger in vaping eliquids with a little alcohol added--unless there are other reasons to avoid alcohol.

PariahNine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
This is what I do to clean & dry burn before I swap out juices!

Just wanted to extend some serious gratitude. Bought a pack of 1.8 ohm Kangertech coil heads, and was certain I'd be throwing them out after using them. Your contribution saved me some cash. This technique worked amazingly well, and the coil heads seem to be functioning as good, if not better than, when I first bought them.

Again, thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

antony73

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
China
I rebuild my coils for my eVods, and when I change flavor, I take the whole thing apart except for the coil and bottom pin. I rinse everything under the hot tap to wash off the liquid. Then I put the whole lot in hot distilled water for about five minutes. After five minutes I change the water, and then after another five minutes I change the water again. Afterwards I dry the lot with a paper towel, and leave to dry overnight, I then put in two new wicks the following day. I usually have two coils on rotation, though I have many more built and ready to use.

I am considering washing the tank and base only and not washing the coil every time, but simply changing the wicks, and only cleaning the coils every two weeks or so. I don't think they need it. I'm quite possibly overdoing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread