Cleaning LDPE Squeeze Bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
So i have been using glass for the past 3 years glass for storage glass droppers for filling tanks, have stayed away from plastic anything.

I got some 100ml LDPE squeeze bottles and i want to ensure they are clean, so what process do you all use when you have brand new bottles come to get any machine oil etc out.

Boodaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ohio
I just use hot water, and a good shake, rinse/repeat, and then tap the bottle on some towel to get any left over water out, and then air dry.... Dish soap would probably be good to do as well, couldn't hurt. I now use LDPE exclusively with dropper tip for my e juice..Long term storage I use cobalt...

Reactions: Kenna

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
When my juice bottles still have an odor after washing, I soak them in plain tap water overnight. The bottles need to be completely submerged so I put them in a plastic bowl or tub with a lid and fill it as full as possible. I think the chlorine in the tap water is what does the trick, so if your water supply is not chlorinated this may not work. They are usually odor free after this treatment. Be sure to soak the dropper tips and bottle caps too.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
LDPE is all I use for my mixes. Hot water, dish soap & a thorough rinse does the trick... :D

Is it the same process for cleaning them after they've been used?

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Pretty much, I usually let the used ones soak overnight... :cool:

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Its not about anything organic that i worry about, it is about machine oil from production just wondering what method people use my wife will love me if she doesnt have to use glass dropper bottles and hear me gripe about her over-tightening them to where it ruins the rubber seal. :D

LDPE bottles are blow-molded, and as such no machine oil would come in contact with them undergoing that process. If somehow machine oil inadvertently spilled or otherwise came in contact, they would likely be (or least should be) rejected within the manufacturing facility. If you've ever received new bottles from anywhere that are contaminated, it most probably happened after they left the factory.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
What you'd be concerned about with new PET and LDPE plastic isn't machine oil, but rather mold release agent. Way back when, it was a nasty petroleum based film that you had to wash off your polystyrene plastic model car parts if you wanted glue and paint to adhere to them. We used dish soap and warm water then, and that's what I use now, though I've never actually seen evidence of release residue on any of my PET/LDPE bottles.

I still wash mostly for "mental clarity", but I really wouldn't be too concerned. Release agents used (if any) have got to be safe for food use and the manufacturing process appears to be exceptionally "hygienic" :

My experience has been that contaminants in bottles will be obvious if they're still there after washing. Water droplets will either never dry completely or take an abnormally long time to evaporate. Try washing a bottle that's had "essential oil" in it and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
LDPE bottles are blow-molded, and as such no machine oil would come in contact with them undergoing that process. If somehow machine oil inadvertently spilled or otherwise came in contact, they would likely be (or least should be) rejected within the manufacturing facility. If you've ever received new bottles from anywhere that are contaminated, it most probably happened after they left the factory.
I understand they are blow molded. But how... Air compressors and lines are notorious for having oil/contaminants in the air lines. Not knowing exactly how they are made with what sort of air system aerosol oil could be making it to the inside so was just curious. Better safe than sorry :D

Loving all the replies here.

Reactions: jambi

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I understand they are blow molded. But how... Air compressors and lines are notorious for having oil/contaminants in the air lines. Not knowing exactly how they are made with what sort of air system aerosol oil could be making it to the inside so was just curious. Better safe than sorry :D

Loving all the replies here.
True. Possible for all kinds of contaminants to be introduced during forming. Look at video I posted. That dish soap bottle being stress tested has just come off the line, you can see there's still some water drying in it. They're washed as part of the manufacturing process. But you should definitely wash them as well. I'm more worried about contaminants that are introduced after they leave the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread