clone or no clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
If you feel bad buying a clone then don't. I've owned/own several clones that I've dearly loved and work well for me. It would not surprise me at all that the manufacturers of some originals had not 'cloned' features in their 'original' from other manufacturers 'original'.
Some clones actually work as well or better than the original at less than half the cost of the original. So, your call.

Reactions: PaulyWally

mastatom85

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
Broomfield; CO
Its your money; no one can tell you how to spend it; or how to feel when you buy it. Money talks, spend it on what you support. I have both clones and originals; it seems that i always love my originals more; but would that be the case if i didn't know it was an original; million dollar question right there.

Reactions: EBates

Withdrewandi

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2014
Newcastle
Kind of answered this on another forum today.. My look on this has flipped and flopped lately, currently I think to myself that authentics/originals are becoming so expensive that clones really are the only option.... My latest purchase is a prime example I have just ordered a marquis (clone) from ft which is costing me £8 including free world wide shipping now if I bought the authentic it would cost roughly $100 then I would have to pay shipping and probably £20-£30 to get it through customs and so on and so forth..... Now for a device that can be bought for £8 total that is an astronomical saving and kind of brings the authentics cost into question why is the marquis so expensive ? Why is the difference between the one you are looking at so much more than the clone ??? If they made the authentics price point more affordable to begin with, maybe less people would buy clones they make more money and can make the next one even cheaper....

RipTodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Ripon, WI
www.rathkampdrums.com
I have over 30 years of design and manufacturing experience, and have access to the type of CNC equipment needed to make these devices. I also have some innovative ideas. Will I spend 100s of hours developing and prototyping a product knowing that if the product catches on it will be cloned and sold for 15% of my price?

I think that for people like me to succeed, we need to forge alliances with Chinese manufacturers to bring costs down. Even still, the clones will flood the market.

If you really want innovation, support innovators or be satisfied with what you have.

Rsunderl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2014
Silver Spring, MD, USA
I'm on somewhat of a budget (who isn't :) ). If the original is within my "normal spending" budget, I don't bother with clones and buy the original.

If, however, I'm going to spend outside of my "normal spending" budget for something that I'm not perfectly sure that I'll like or be using, I'll usually try out a clone first. If it turns out that I like the clone, then I'll save up and buy an original to support the developer.

mastatom85

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
Broomfield; CO
I have over 30 years of design and manufacturing experience, and have access to the type of CNC equipment needed to make these devices. I also have some innovative ideas. Will I spend 100s of hours developing and prototyping a product knowing that if the product catches on it will be cloned and sold for 15% of my price?

I think that for people like me to succeed, we need to forge alliances with Chinese manufacturers to bring costs down. Even still, the clones will flood the market.

If you really want innovation, support innovators or be satisfied with what you have.

Look at the Erlkonigin; they made a wonderful device; if you want an original with all the pieces it will cost you around 220 bucks; But they also cloned their own product; enter the Erlprinz. There are models out there to defeat clones and still offer amazing products; the manufactures need to work together because i feel they are out numbered by the clones

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia

I get the innovation part but how in the name of reality does one innovate a tube, I'm not trying to a this is better then that war but lets break it down to the basics.
Tube-Pretty straight forward, cut and threaded for the switch assembly and top plate, not really much work goes in to that.
Switch assembly- Its pretty well less advanced then a flashlight switch, you've a contact pin, button and insulator, your contact pin is the break point for the voltage so pretty simplistic system, magnetics and such add minor functionality over a spring system but not much.
Top plate/pin assembly- again, pretty straight forward on this one so not sure how much innovation can be made here.

I can see how the electronic mods are coming along but neither here nor there. From a standpoint of where I sit the production costs should not factor out to 200 or more dollars per mod. Its not that clones are killing the market its that the base price of these "Authentic" mods are insanely high. I'm most def. not in the market for any brand name anything now or ever because of the cost of it.

As for the OP's question of clone or not really depends on your price point, just as in the "Authentic" market some clones are better then others. Read the feedback carefully when choosing your selection. I've had clones and Authentic alike and in reality both perform well for what they are supposed to do, but that is my two cents worth of information on this matter.

Hope this helps :)

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico

let's take the SMPL mod for example, there are a lot of clones out there, but still the original manufacturers have a hard time keeping stock of the originals, they are almost sold out everywhere, so I don't think the clones are hurting in any way, I actually thing the clones make great publicity

RipTodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Ripon, WI
www.rathkampdrums.com
I get the innovation part but how in the name of reality does one innovate a tube,

And still, you only have to look at the volume and types of questions being asked on this very forum to know that the barrier to entry is huge. In other words, many or most smokers are intimidated by our vaping obsession.

I think there's a ton of innovation waiting to happen. Guess who has the budget for this though? Big T. I don't want them to be the ones innovating and setting standards.

Hopefully, this is still relevant the the OP. If not, my apologies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Op, if its troubling you to the point that it keeps you up at night, by all means, buy the authentic. Sleep is important.

I bought the authentic Marquis. Why? Its innovative , well built, performs like no other atty I have and I've always liked Dino and Cisco. I own a wonderful mix of clones and authentic devices. If its in my signature, its authentic. Thats not to say they're much better than anything else I have.

diablo2713

Jan 20, 2015
FL, USA
so here is the deal, most good clones are a 1:1 clone witch means they are building from original specs so why is one selling for 20-30 bucks and one selling for 200 bucks when they cost the same to make them? because they want to ring you out for ever penny they can. and i don't feel bad for ppl who over charge that much for a product, just like the hdmi cable industry $40 bucks for a $3 cable.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
so here is the deal, most good clones are a 1:1 clone witch means they are building from original specs so why is one selling for 20-30 bucks and one selling for 200 bucks when they cost the same to make them? because they want to ring you out for ever penny they can. and i don't feel bad for ppl who over charge that much for a product, just like the hdmi cable industry $40 bucks for a $3 cable.

really!!... went to Best Buy for one and saw the 35+$ price tag for a 6' cable.... went to Gamestop and the same cable was 14$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread