clone or no clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Clones and piracy are always a contentious issue and I can see both sides. When the big companies develop a product, say, a new Kanger system, or sub-system, whether its coils, tanks, RBAs etc, they put a lot of effort and expense into R&D; that's really what your paying for when you buy their products, not necessarily the actual cost to manufacture, advertise and distribute. Because clone companies don't have any R&D expenses, they're able to sell their products for the cost of manufacture only, hence the consumer realises considerable savings. Whenever possible or if an item is critical, I'll purchase authentic or original equipment (in everything, not only vapeing supplies), however, if there is no real performance or longevity difference between authentic and clone and cost gap between the two becomes greater than my personal threshold, the clone will always win out. To be brutally honest, at the end of the day, its all about me and my family and if I can save money in this area, it leaves more for other activities. Lets face it, Kanger doesn't know me, doesn't even know (or care) that I exist and they don't know what I have to do or don't do to enjoy vaping, nor should they; Kanger's job is to supply a product to a market and make a profit - I get that, but my job is to do it at the best possible price, to the benefit of my family and me. I sleep well at night.

Peter

Reactions: dhood

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
I see this whole 'clone or authentic' thing as a huge cat and mouse game, there are people who absolutely hate everyone who buy clones and won't give advice about devices that are clones, then there are people, including myself, that think clones are ok, and if the clone suits your lifestyle, then use it, and then there are people who use only clones, and say authentics are too expensive.

Personally (remember this whole thing is only my opinion!) I tend to buy a clone as a test/my budget is too small for authentic, but if, if and only if, I like the device, I buy the authentic version, but, but and only but, if I don't, it goes to my friends or fiancée to use or just goes straight to vape bin with backups and old-school gear.

And as a final opinion, buy a clone if it suits your current moment, if you want to buy an authentic, go for it if it makes you happy. Still all these are only my opinions, everyone has got one and I can respect that, so don't start a hatewar on me for stating my personal opinions on the net.

Vape on and stay safe :)

mastatom85

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
Broomfield; CO
my last argument is quality over quantity; clones = quantity; authentic =quality. I have clones of some of authentic's and to say I notice a difference is an understatement; all my originals are better quality and you can visibly see the diffidence in the precision of the build. if you are buying a device to try a new new item; i understand the clone; no one could afford to buy every new product that comes out. if its a device that you see using for a year steady; save up and spend the money for the quality; you wont regret it.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi everyone. I have always bought original no matter what I bought. PC's laptops, software etc. I recently viewed a review on a Kayfun v4. It looks great. About $200. Then I see clones for $35-$60. I have ordered a clone but I feel I am cheating the original manufacture. SvoёMesto. Any thoughts.

There are obvious no-name/no-brand clones and then there are counterfeits that have the SvoeMesto name or/and logo on the item.

dchest02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Muskegon, MI
I contemplated this exact dilemma before I ordered my Kayfun V4 clones by Tobeco. The reason I went with the clone is because I wanted to make darn sure I would get great performance from it before I dropped the money for the authentic.

Now, if China clones the Reo, I won't bother because I already know how the authentic performs (I currently have 5). I would feel the same about a Chinese Provari, no need to buy something that I already know works perfectly.

Instead of buying a bunch of clones, I own one authentic Mirandus that I love. There is a sense of pride in ownership that just does not come with a clone. If you want to expand your collection, a clone or two is ok. But owning at least one authentic mod is critical. I'd rather have one authentic mod than 10 clones. There is a reason they are more expensive and its not just because of unfair mark ups or price gauging

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Is there a law against making clones of a device ....?
Trademark? Copyright ? Patent?

Probably. Most clones are made in China, where the laws on this type of stuff are scant at best.

Before debating clone versus real, let's look at the facts: most genuine items are way overpriced, but worse yet, are often RARELY in stock.

Genuine items that are reasonably priced -and- readily available in stock will get my purchase. Any of the Kanger products are examples.

Genuine items that are horribly overpriced -and- not in stock won't, and I will purchase a clone. Kayfun v4 is an example, as are the many $100+ RDAs.

Until the makers of the genuine products understand this, the clone market will continue to flourish.

Withdrewandi

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2014
Newcastle
China couldn't care less about copyright or patents or anything they clone cars, clothes , phones the list is endless... Buy a clone like it save up for a authentic if it bothers you... Me I am vaping to stop smoking and save money, so I buy the odd clone I don't have shinyitus I have a MVP 2.0 a authentic nautilus mini a nemesis clone and a magma clone... I fancied a new rba so I ordered 2 from ft if I lived in the states I would have probably bought authentic ones but I don't and I ain't paying the uk customs a penny to let a tiny little package that I already spent a fortune on be allowed into the country lol

Winchester

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Califorina
Hi,
Here is how I look it this clone thing. Last week I was told that Super T Manufacturing was no longer going to make mods. The reason they stopped is because he could not compete with all the cheap clones on the market. They used to make a very high quality mod that you could use for a life time. I know this to be true because I own several ELA's, Precise Plus's, Work Horse, Shock Wave that I use every day and have for years. I also have a row of cheap clones that I keep just to remind me of the money I wasted. They are so bad I would not even give them away. As they say in a Chines Restaurant I used to go to "You order sh-- you eat sh--!"

jwag1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Saint Louis, MO.
I own 12 mechanical mods, and 14 RDA's and RTA's, all clones. I obviously don't have a problem with them, and will be buying more RDA's that I don't have yet. The hcigar and ehpro rebuildable's I have all work far better than expected. I see no reason to pay 3 or 4 times more for a very similar product. I could buy the originals, but I'd only have a few. I like the price point of a good clone, I love the performance.

Also, if lost or stolen, the clone can be replaced almost immediately, I couldn't afford to replace an original right away...if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread