Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Is there a law against making clones of a device ....?
Trademark? Copyright ? Patent?

Actually it's more a problem of language distinguishing what is a clone from what is a counterfeit fraud.
Then there is also the problem of when a brand doesn't register the brand and they get copied, as seemed to be the case last year with Hana mods on fasttech for example.

T4T3Z0R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Brevard, NC, USA
Kind of answered this on another forum today.. My look on this has flipped and flopped lately, currently I think to myself that authentics/originals are becoming so expensive that clones really are the only option.... My latest purchase is a prime example I have just ordered a marquis (clone) from ft which is costing me £8 including free world wide shipping now if I bought the authentic it would cost roughly $100 then I would have to pay shipping and probably £20-£30 to get it through customs and so on and so forth..... Now for a device that can be bought for £8 total that is an astronomical saving and kind of brings the authentics cost into question why is the marquis so expensive ? Why is the difference between the one you are looking at so much more than the clone ??? If they made the authentics price point more affordable to begin with, maybe less people would buy clones they make more money and can make the next one even cheaper....

they are so much more because of the difference in manufacturing costs. they can bang out clones all day in a chinese sweatshop for next to nothing. an original manufactured in, say, the us costs a ton more due to higher wages and such. thats why so many industries these day outsource.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Hi everyone. I have always bought original no matter what I bought. PC's laptops, software etc. I recently viewed a review on a Kayfun v4. It looks great. About $200. Then I see clones for $35-$60. I have ordered a clone but I feel I am cheating the original manufacture. SvoёMesto. Any thoughts.

I agree that you are. Someday it will be very difficult to buy quality vaping gear. Original Manufacturers cant compete with the cheap asian labor. So why even bother to make new things.

Witness the fall of a innovator and giant who also invented the drip tip as we know it

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/super-t-manufacturing/641654-going-out-business-super-t-storewide-sale-save-up-50-a.html

gigetto

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2014
Italy
This is an hot topic....i don't want to explain my opinion to do not generate a flame.....but i think tree things about....

Originals are expensive but original, no fake......and a well made product rarely is cheap

If someone want to copy a thing that is not registered can do but....if he copy the logo is falsification not only a copy....he sells this things with the blasone of the original

Ok most people buy clones because the original are expensive, sometimes these buy a lot of things more than necessary with the same money of one well made original, and there are some original chinese unexpensive that works well but have no logos and are not "hype"......but they want the original clone.

Ph0t0man

Jan 22, 2015
Good luck with your Kayfun V4 clone. Mine has been miserable experience but I have finally gotten it sorted out... I think. If the original was available in the USA I would have bought one. But Sveomesto's inability to supply the demand drove me to the clone. In my case I got what I paid for. Hopefully your experience will be better. Maybe the originals will be more available later in the year in the meantime I will struggle with my clone.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Good luck with your Kayfun V4 clone. Mine has been miserable experience but I have finally gotten it sorted out... I think. If the original was available in the USA I would have bought one. But Sveomesto's inability to supply the demand drove me to the clone. In my case I got what I paid for. Hopefully your experience will be better. Maybe the originals will be more available later in the year in the meantime I will struggle with my clone.

The Tobeco one appears to be the best one and can be bought for $20 shipped from US. I have 2 that are perfect.

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
At this point I would hope no authentic creator in their right mind sits around and thinks that China won't rip off their design.

If I was a mod creator I would create a limited run of "authentics" and sell the design plans to China. Or just have China make me a run of "authentics" using top quality materials and then let them do what they do with the clones.

Who says some of them don't?

Last edited:

Biz_Nessman

Jul 6, 2015
Sacramento, Ca.
This thread caught my attention for 2 reasons.
1. I'm new to vaping and don't know many others that vape, so all of your opinions are appreciated
2. Budget..the cost of some of these devices is insane. Really? 200 bucks for a battery holder, a switch, and a heating element?

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying clones until the cost of the originals starts to drop.

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
I try to get the authentic when, the price is within reason. Take Cthulhumod's Cthulhu and Hastur for example. But mostly I go for clones. After my one and only experience with FT however, I do look for a better quality clone. I look for makers like Infinite, Tobeco, Cigreen and HCigar. You pay a little more, but I have never been disappointed in any of them. As for mods, I only get authentic VW devices. To me, it just feels safer, like never going cheap on batteries. Of course, that didn't help me with the ipv4:grr:

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I have 2 Kayfun v4 clones, both Infinites. They work perfectly for about $40 each. I couldn't afford the $200 for a new one, although I probably would pay up to $100 for one. I may pick one up second hand just to have one and see what the differences are. I do plan to buy an authentic Velocity in about a month. I like the design and I do want to support the designers. It will be $115 for it but I feel it will be worth it. I still can't believe clones were out for this one less than 3 weeks after its release and for less than $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread