"Clones" are actually the REAL THING

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsand0101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Fairfax, VA, USA
I have been searching and reading posts and reviews and watching vids on clones and real mods for about 2 weeks now trying to determine what I want. I will say while some of the reviews on clones are decent overall they are really lower quality. But in the end I decided to buy a Real Hammer mod and support the real makers cause I want them to stay around and keep coming up with great ideas. and after reading the posts here about why clones are good it just reinforces my opinion on clones and why ill never buy one. Just my opinion though.

cbrociuos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
N.E. Ohio
Say you come up with some doohickey in your garage. It doesn't have to be vaping related. It's unique, in fact there isn't a doohickey made with the same ideas you used to make yours. You make it out of quality materials, and people are buying it at $120! Nice! So you contract with a machine shop to make you more, because you can't keep up! Nice! They need CAD files to make your parts, so you contract a guy to do that for you. Nice! The materials are expensive, and the machine shop costs you quite a bit, but you realize that people are willing to pay the price you're asking for your doohickey because it uses good materials, the machining is well done and the design is unique, so you keep building them.

One day you're perusing your favorite doohickey forum, and someone posts "This is exactly like the Buklao doohickey but it only cost me $12" and the thread is blowing up. You look and the design is exactly like yours. It even says "Design by Buklao" on the side! Your orders are drying up. You still owe the machine shop for last month's run, you spent a good sum getting the CAD files prepared, and no one's ordering your doohickey anymore.

So you think "Hey, I know, I'll sue them!" You call a lawyer, and he asks "Who's counterfeiting your doohickey?" You say "Some company in China." He promptly hangs up. Seventeen calls later, you finally find one who'll talk to you, but he demands a $5000 retainer to even begin filing the case, and tells you he bills at $750 an hour. But the retainer would eat up almost all your profit, and at $750/hr your profits will be gone in no time! "The Chinese government is notorious for not pursuing copyright claims" he tells you.

That's how counterfeits are disrespecting original modders.

Nice write up SCW. I fear the effort may have been wasted though. Maybe not. If one person sees it that was on the fence it won't have been in vein. ;)

HEM CREW

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Nice write up SCW. I fear the effort may have been wasted though. Maybe not. If one person sees it that was on the fence it won't have been in vein. ;)

HEM CREW

He didn't even claim to have filed a patent

He even gave the copycat the decency of accrediting the designer! Which by the way is an open invitation to the designer to contact them for negotiations.

halcon

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Austin, TX
I understand why some people would prefer a clone over an original: They're cheap, some of them work, they look good, ... What I don't get is, why does anybody would feel the need to advertise and plead for them?

I get it, you couldn't find or afford the original, no big deal; but defending those clones and trying to convince others to buy them over the originals... Acceptance? Peace of mind? IDK

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
So let me add my two cents to this discussion. I have nothing at all against inexpensive vaping devices. I understand that not everyone has the funds or wants to spend $200 for a mod. My only problem comes from manufacturers the sell a device that tries to pass itself off as the real item. Given the choice of buying an inexpensive unique mod or a clone/counterfeit mod, most of the people that use inexpensive mods will choose the clones. Why? I guess it's for the same reason someone would buy a fake Rolex! Think about it. Why else would China make counterfeits instead of just leaving the real modder's logo off it. The device would be the same. It's because they wouldn't sell nearly as many of them because the truth is, peoples ego's are so needy that they want others to think they have the real deal.

buklao

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Say you come up with some doohickey in your garage. It doesn't have to be vaping related. It's unique, in fact there isn't a doohickey made with the same ideas you used to make yours. You make it out of quality materials, and people are buying it at $120! Nice! So you contract with a machine shop to make you more, because you can't keep up! Nice! They need CAD files to make your parts, so you contract a guy to do that for you. Nice! The materials are expensive, and the machine shop costs you quite a bit, but you realize that people are willing to pay the price you're asking for your doohickey because it uses good materials, the machining is well done and the design is unique, so you keep building them.

One day you're perusing your favorite doohickey forum, and someone posts "This is exactly like the Buklao doohickey but it only cost me $12" and the thread is blowing up. You look and the design is exactly like yours. It even says "Design by Buklao" on the side! Your orders are drying up. You still owe the machine shop for last month's run, you spent a good sum getting the CAD files prepared, and no one's ordering your doohickey anymore.

So you think "Hey, I know, I'll sue them!" You call a lawyer, and he asks "Who's counterfeiting your doohickey?" You say "Some company in China." He promptly hangs up. Seventeen calls later, you finally find one who'll talk to you, but he demands a $5000 retainer to even begin filing the case, and tells you he bills at $750 an hour. But the retainer would eat up almost all your profit, and at $750/hr your profits will be gone in no time! "The Chinese government is notorious for not pursuing copyright claims" he tells you.

That's how counterfeits are disrespecting original modders.

Very good example. So with this, why is everyone still planning to stop the counterfeits or persuade people not to buy them knowing that the original modders cant even stop them? Dont see the point of your argument here.
People can try to persuade other people but like I keep on mentioning, to each their own. Everyone is different and everyone isnt coming from where you are coming from. To say your opinion against counterfeits is one thing, but doing everything you can to stop and somehow "force", yes something like peer pressure, others to buy high end expensive parts is unacceptable. Its like teaching someone who wants to learn how to use VV/VW, everyone needs to find their own "perfect spot".

Although one flaw with your example is that if i were to make a doohickey business, i wouldnt prioritize my income if i know its going to be in high demands, keep the money coming by having as little profit instead having one big one, 120 as my base wouldnt get me to 300++ saying that i only need to spend with a machinist a ONE TIME cad file. Trust me, metal tubes like this are not as expensive as you think when it comes to manufacturing, the only long time expense you'll be dealing with is the materials.

buklao

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
Winnipeg
So let me add my two cents to this discussion. I have nothing at all against inexpensive vaping devices. I understand that not everyone has the funds or wants to spend $200 for a mod. My only problem comes from manufacturers the sell a device that tries to pass itself off as the real item. Given the choice of buying an inexpensive unique mod or a clone/counterfeit mod, most of the people that use inexpensive mods will choose the clones. Why? I guess it's for the same reason someone would buy a fake Rolex! Think about it. Why else would China make counterfeits instead of just leaving the real modder's logo off it. The device would be the same. It's because they wouldn't sell nearly as many of them because the truth is, peoples ego's are so needy that they want others to think they have the real deal.

Exactly one of my points why ppl buy and make these type of counterfeits.

buklao

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I understand why some people would prefer a clone over an original: They're cheap, some of them work, they look good, ... What I don't get is, why does anybody would feel the need to advertise and plead for them?

I get it, you couldn't find or afford the original, no big deal; but defending those clones and trying to convince others to buy them over the originals... Acceptance? Peace of mind? IDK

Im not trying to argue but...

Why do people on here get to advertise, plead, defend and persuade people to buy the originals?
To brag? To have that peace of mind that others shouldnt have it easy and spend the same amount of money they did to have the same experience? To protect others from bad clones? I dont know either.

Im not defending the clones, just being fair on both sides. Vaping community wouldnt be as big as it is now w/o clones because it gives everyone a "CHANCE" to experience, practice and to VAPE. Which is the most important thing if you ask me.

cbrociuos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
N.E. Ohio

Why do people on here get to advertise, plead, defend and persuade people to buy the originals?
To brag? To have that peace of mind that others shouldnt have it easy and spend the same amount of money they did to have the same experience? To protect others from bad clones? I dont know either.

Im not defending the clones, just being fair on both sides. Vaping community wouldnt be as big as it is now w/o clones because it gives everyone a "CHANCE" to experience, practice and to VAPE. Which is the most important thing if you ask me.

With all due respect; I don't like you. Lol

HEM CREW

halcon

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Austin, TX
Very good example. So with this, why is everyone still planning to stop the counterfeits or persuade people not to buy them knowing that the original modders cant even stop them? Dont see the point of your argument here.
People can try to persuade other people but like I keep on mentioning, to each their own. Everyone is different and everyone isnt coming from where you are coming from. To say your opinion against counterfeits is one thing, but doing everything you can to stop and somehow "force", yes something like peer pressure, others to buy high end expensive parts is unacceptable. Its like teaching someone who wants to learn how to use VV/VW, everyone needs to find their own "perfect spot".

So, if the opinion is against clones/counterfeits should only be expressed once, but if it is the other way you can say as loud and as often as you feel? Why? "Peer pressure"?

Counterfeits are illegal, the fact the modders can't fight them (or don't want to) doesn't make them legal, so there should be peer pressure, otherwise everybody would be doing illegal things as they please (there are not enough policemen or judges in the world to do the job only by themselves).

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
So, if the opinion is against clones/counterfeits should only be expressed once, but if it is the other way you can say as loud and as often as you feel? Why? "Peer pressure"?

Counterfeits are illegal, the fact the modders can't fight them (or don't want to) doesn't make them legal, so there should be peer pressure, otherwise everybody would be doing illegal things as they please (there are not enough policemen or judges in the world to do the job only by themselves).

You are conflating clone and counterfiet.

For me I was all about originals. They way they feel compared to clones, the threading, the anodizing, the insulation, the polish, and yes even the name brand and serial number just to stay unique from my vaping friends.

But as of now with the high prices and this rough economy for me "clones" as far as attys like RDA, RBA, and tube 510 mods have been the way to go. I can get the same vapor, flavor, and battery life out of a clone than I can off an original.

In my eyes and they way this business is booming CLONES and ORIGINALs are both needed to grow this community and to satisfy every consumer. I like them both. I own both. Its nice to compare the clones to the originals aka YouTube video reviews and its a nice discussion with your vape buds at a party or kick back.

Clones are not hated in my book even if they use the exact specs and exact logos.

That said though originals are still the much cooler models out there and you will also get your money back when trying to resell because of the fact of it being original manufactured.

Its not a love hate...its a love, love affair with both.

buklao

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
Winnipeg

But this is legal i guess
ubura2yj.jpg
5yzy5yde.jpg

Origin mod and nemesis mod

buklao

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
Winnipeg
For me I was all about originals. They way they feel compared to clones, the threading, the anodizing, the insulation, the polish, and yes even the name brand and serial number just to stay unique from my vaping friends.

But as of now with the high prices and this rough economy for me "clones" as far as attys like RDA, RBA, and tube 510 mods have been the way to go. I can get the same vapor, flavor, and battery life out of a clone than I can off an original.

In my eyes and they way this business is booming CLONES and ORIGINALs are both needed to grow this community and to satisfy every consumer. I like them both. I own both. Its nice to compare the clones to the originals aka YouTube video reviews and its a nice discussion with your vape buds at a party or kick back.

Clones are not hated in my book even if they use the exact specs and exact logos.

That said though originals are still the much cooler models out there and you will also get your money back when trying to resell because of the fact of it being original manufactured.

But there are other "Low End" authentics for cheap prices too.

Dont buy clones or counterfeits because they are "Low End" products man.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

A 'clone' which duplicates a registered Trademark (logo) sounds like a counterfiet to me.

So tell me something, are you sure that all of your originals are originals, and not really good counterfiet?
Maybe you're using 'clone' to mean 'obvious knockoff' even with a logo.

halcon

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Austin, TX

I'm relatively new to vaping. One thing that immediately caught my attention was that I belonged to a community, a close one, that it's fighting for its rights as a group. Part of that fight is the development of a better vaping experience; we don't have any industrial empires serving us like in other markets, so we need to protect those who are working to find that ultimate device.

That doesn't mean that in order to achieve that "great vape" you need to invest a ton of money; there are numerous devices that are accessible and original that provide a supreme experience, even from China. You mentioned pbusardo a few posts back; he has access to all the latest and greatest toys available and, as stated by him, he still uses his carto-tanks.

Unfortunately China doesn't follow the same rules, they don't care about development or laws in other countries, so it's up to us, the consumers, to protect our community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread