Cloupor Mini Mod 30W

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS stingray

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
Port Charlotte. Florida
Same here in addition to a wobbly 510 connector.
I think the threading is wearing out.
I don't have that problem with 510 . The reason is I NEVER change toppers. I learned early on with the Isticks to marry your tank to mod. When filling leave bottom attached to mod. Does anybody know of replacement fire buttons ? I'm sure the buttons will be the weak point on all Chinese made mods .

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, a Varitube low profile 510, or FDV V3 Shorty is a great upgrade for $5, but it's not a simple job, requires more than a bit of modifications to the housing and internals to make work.

Fire button is soldered to the board, you'd have to desolder and find a replacement to solder back on.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
Are you sure the Cloupor Mini 510 threads are Zinc Alloy?

No, they're brass. It's probably not the threads anyway, it's the press-fit through the aluminum that goes bad and causes the wobble.

I don't have that problem with 510 . The reason is I NEVER change toppers. I learned early on with the Isticks to marry your tank to mod. When filling leave bottom attached to mod. Does anybody know of replacement fire buttons ? I'm sure the buttons will be the weak point on all Chinese made mods .

That causes its own set of problems, and over-tightening the mod to the base as you torque the tank closed can cause the same issue too. Not to mention not all attys allow you to fill without removing it from the mod. You know, those rare attys like a Kayfun or Lemo that not many people use. :)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
...................or Orchid ;)

Both of my Mini's are still holding up like new.
One normally runs a Magma that does not flush due to L-O-N-G 510 shank so it never sees a bind.
The other swaps between a Magma and an Orchid v3.5

I would LOVE to see this in a 40w-50w to give it a bit more oomph.

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
My mini's 510 is starting to move around a bit. I applied some Krazy Glue and then some hot glue. They helped some but it's not perfect.

I ordered a Kamry 30W v2 from gear beast as a replacement. The spring loaded 510 made my decision.

I'm considering adding a FDV or Varitube 510 to repair my mini.
The press fit 510 is going to be a problem. Inevitably people will drop the mod and if it has an atty attached, the force of the atty hitting the floor along w/the considerable weight of the zinc mod will definitely cause the 510 to loosen. Some mods are just made poorly. Once it becomes a little loose it's just a matter of time until installing and removing attys will cause the 510 to spin in the body. At that point it's time for a repair or fix using a better 510.

Super glue isn't going to have enough "body" to keep the 510 from moving- the next time whatever force caused it to move in the first place is applied again, it'll move. Hot glue is too flexible. If I were going to use glue at all, it would be JB Weld or a quality 2-part epoxy. If the parts to be joined are clean (no juice residue) and ideally are roughed up w/sandpaper, etc. to give the JB Weld some 'tooth' to hold on to, it will hold. Be sure to form a fillet around as much of the 510 inside the case as you can.

The fire switch can be replaced but this isn't a novice's job unless you were to practice removing/replacing components from a scrap PC board of some sort. Heat sink compound, soldering equipment and a steady hand will be needed at a minimum. Before replacing the switch, I'd try using a good cleaner like 3M's Novec line.

Reactions: Fergie

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I been having my mini clouper for a lil while now and think it is great except for one small problem. My mutt got a little too happy one night and knocked it off the coffee table. The impact cause the bottom battery connector to flatten out. Its not like it fell a long way, maybe 12 - 14 inches but the bottom connector is very cheesy and it took nothing for it to flatten where the battery could not make connection without re-bending it back up. Other than that, it has performed flawlessly with both Kayfun V4's and kayfun lites.

Reactions: ricks

heateris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
SEPA
The press fit 510 is going to be a problem. Inevitably people will drop the mod and if it has an atty attached, the force of the atty hitting the floor along w/the considerable weight of the zinc mod will definitely cause the 510 to loosen. Some mods are just made poorly. Once it becomes a little loose it's just a matter of time until installing and removing attys will cause the 510 to spin in the body. At that point it's time for a repair or fix using a better 510.

Super glue isn't going to have enough "body" to keep the 510 from moving- the next time whatever force caused it to move in the first place is applied again, it'll move. Hot glue is too flexible. If I were going to use glue at all, it would be JB Weld or a quality 2-part epoxy. If the parts to be joined are clean (no juice residue) and ideally are roughed up w/sandpaper, etc. to give the JB Weld some 'tooth' to hold on to, it will hold. Be sure to form a fillet around as much of the 510 inside the case as you can.

You caught me, I've definitely dropped it many times.

It just so happens that I have some JB Weld at work. Time to clean out the hot glue and start a new project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS stingray

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
Port Charlotte. Florida
The fire switch can be replaced but this isn't a novice's job unless you were to practice removing/replacing components from a scrap PC board of some sort. Heat sink compound, soldering equipment and a steady hand will be needed at a minimum. Before replacing the switch, I'd try using a good cleaner like 3M's Novec line.

The switch doesn't click anymore. Really not sure if a cleaning will fix. I have 2 other mini's so I will use this one to check ohm readings of my builds. It still works but you must push several times. I do solder and have fixed several components before.

Reactions: cobalt327

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
The switch doesn't click anymore. Really not sure if a cleaning will fix. I have 2 other mini's so I will use this one to check ohm readings of my builds. It still works but you must push several times. I do solder and have fixed several components before.
Post some pics of the fix for us...

lain

Mar 17, 2015
SP
Has this been reported yet? Numerous users on FT forum has reported that the battery indicator does not work with their cloupor after a while.

I'm asking (and reporting), because mine has the same problem. I'm currently waiting for my ticket to get a response and hopefully a full refund is in order.
Either that or atleast a gift cert. for the amount so i can order another mod.
Not sure if this issue is only limited to the FT ones that came without the VIP card but it looks like it.

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
Has this been reported yet? Numerous users on FT forum has reported that the battery indicator does not work with their cloupor after a while.

I'm asking (and reporting), because mine has the same problem. I'm currently waiting for my ticket to get a response and hopefully a full refund is in order.
Either that or atleast a gift cert. for the amount so i can order another mod.
Not sure if this issue is only limited to the FT ones that came without the VIP card but it looks like it.
There seems to be a relationship between defective Minis and the lack of a 'VIP' card. Maybe I'm cynical but I think the lack of the cards and the much, much higher percentage of mods having problems is not a coincidence (says Captain Obvious).

FWIW Jenny @ FT just posted (post #95) that they will be replacing mods having defective battery level indicators. Don't know if a refund is also an option. Her post says in part:

"If you have received the item with a defective battery level indicator, please feel free to open a ticket and upload a picture or video whichever could show the issue clearly. CS staff will arrange free replacement for the item once they confirmed the issue.

For your information, please do not include anything reference to FastTech.com or your contact information in the picture or video."

I'm curious what kind of shenanigans is going on w/the request to not include anything reference to FastTech.com or your contact information in the picture or video.

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
Okay, I understand. That's a shame but you might give repairing it a try. Those momentary switches are cheap, hopefully the replacement will be more durable than the original!

Good luck.

lain

Mar 17, 2015
SP
There seems to be a relationship between defective Minis and the lack of a 'VIP' card. Maybe I'm cynical but I think the lack of the cards and the much, much higher percentage of mods having problems is not a coincidence (says Captain Obvious).

FWIW Jenny @ FT just posted (post #95) that they will be replacing mods having defective battery level indicators. Don't know if a refund is also an option. Her post says in part:

"If you have received the item with a defective battery level indicator, please feel free to open a ticket and upload a picture or video whichever could show the issue clearly. CS staff will arrange free replacement for the item once they confirmed the issue.

For your information, please do not include anything reference to FastTech.com or your contact information in the picture or video."

I'm curious what kind of shenanigans is going on w/the request to not include anything reference to FastTech.com or your contact information in the picture or video.

Yep. It's obvious something dubious going on. I should've just waited for my gearbest order instead.

Yea i saw that post. The thing is, I'm not interested in getting another FT cloupor. What's to say that there won't be other issues later?
I suspect they might be buying up faulty or not for sale units that didn't pass QA, hence the lack of VIP card and that response.
I've been arguing with them for the past month regarding the VIP card and i've come to the conclusion that they just don't have the cards. They're not removing them before shipping it out to the customer (like they said in the beginning). They just don't have them.
I'm guessing i won't be getting a refund for this unit and they will try and send a replacement (probably with slowest shipping possible), so i'm thinking of opening a paypal dispute. The disclaimer about not having the VIP card in it was added long after my order was processed so i reckon i didn't get what i ordered and it's faulty, so maybe paypal will side with me.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Yep. It's obvious something dubious going on. I should've just waited for my gearbest order instead.

Yea i saw that post. The thing is, I'm not interested in getting another FT cloupor. What's to say that there won't be other issues later?
I suspect they might be buying up faulty or not for sale units that didn't pass QA, hence the lack of VIP card and that response.
I've been arguing with them for the past month regarding the VIP card and i've come to the conclusion that they just don't have the cards. They're not removing them before shipping it out to the customer (like they said in the beginning). They just don't have them.
I'm guessing i won't be getting a refund for this unit and they will try and send a replacement (probably with slowest shipping possible), so i'm thinking of opening a paypal dispute. The disclaimer about not having the VIP card in it was added long after my order was processed so i reckon i didn't get what i ordered and it's faulty, so maybe paypal will side with me.
I'd dispute it with PayPal and get it resolved quicker.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA

Probably not that dubious. Sometimes, Chinese retailers are blocked from sourcing Chinese brands (some Chinese brands won't supply to markets domestic to them), so they have to get them clandestinely through third parties. Could just be something like that. :2c:

lain

Mar 17, 2015
SP
I'd dispute it with PayPal and get it resolved quicker.

I'm giving FT the benefit of answering to the ticket first. They'll probably ask for photo/video evidence. I'm not in a hurry. The device works fine overall and at the moment i keep my batteries pretty much fully charged (i do use them before charging again, about down to 3,6v is the lowest i've gone) and i check them regularly. It's just that i consider it faulty and the risk of undercharging the batteries are there when i perhaps don't have a multimeter on hand/or i start forgetting to check. As of now i'm not that much out and about but when the summer starts i won't have the multimeter with me and that will become a problem. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Tread carefully w/PP- they frown on ecig transactions. Using "electronic device" or similar should be okay.

Allright, thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread