Clove Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmaBob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Where do you get the Anis flavoring at? Can it be bought in a store, Or do I need to order it online?
Just a thought.... One could soak whole cloves and /or anise seeds in vodka and use that as the flavor to cut the e-juice . Infused vodka may have less oil in it and thus not gunk up the atomizer
Bob

dopple

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
well im not a good DYI'er.. but heres what i just made... in one of the bottles you get from the JC sampler.. not sure the size of it... did about 1/2 of it glycerine... 1.5 eyedroppers of clove leaf oil and the rest water.. shook it up good cause the glycerine and clove oil doesnt wanna mix well, it seems to give good vapor, and the taste of the clove is there, but its just not quite the same as a clove cig... no numbness... theres gotta be a way to create a good clove juice... but i dont think this is gonna be the way :(

ZexMarquies01

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Piqua, Ohio
well im not a good DYI'er.. but heres what i just made... in one of the bottles you get from the JC sampler.. not sure the size of it... did about 1/2 of it glycerine... 1.5 eyedroppers of clove leaf oil and the rest water.. shook it up good cause the glycerine and clove oil doesnt wanna mix well, it seems to give good vapor, and the taste of the clove is there, but its just not quite the same as a clove cig... no numbness... theres gotta be a way to create a good clove juice... but i dont think this is gonna be the way :(

That's Why I was thinking about doing this with my Watermelon e-juice. One thing about clove cigs is that they also have a sweet taste, and that sweetness stays on your lips.

My watermelon have very little flavor to it. But, Maybe some of the sweetness will help the clove.

Since you added water, I'm assuming you used VG. If someone here had some unflavored e-juice, and used your mixture with that, It may help with the sweet taste, as glycerin is kinda sweet as it is.

Also, Have you tried adding a tiny bit more clove oil in it?

ChaoticKinesis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
NYC
Being a huge spice lover, this thread has given me some ideas to experiment. I'm thinking of trying a mix of clove, anise, cinnamon, and a I'm a little iffy on cardamom. Will try soaking these in vodka and seeing what comes out.

Edit: I placed 2 cloves, two parts from star anise, and about a .75" piece of cinnamon bark in a teabag swimming in 1.5 oz. of vodka. I'm guessing that's probably too weak a concentration of the spices, but I will see tomorrow after 20 or so hours of soaking.

I'm hoping these spices might improve throat hit on diy juice.

Last edited:

raltenbach

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
West Allis, WI USA
I'm still a little gunshy about trying to make my own liquids, but I think I may have stumbled upon a good combo of store bought flavors. I plan on trying this "recipe" out asap, I'll post results if anyone would like.

3 parts heavy shag (for a stronger throat hit)
3 parts janty clove (obviously)
2 parts vanilla (to emulate the sugared paper)
1 part licorice (anise seems t be present in most clove cigarettes)

I think this may at least come close to the flavor I know, love and greatly miss. If anyone out there has these flavors on hand and wants to experiment, let me know how it turns out, otherwise I hope to try it in a few days (as soon as I can place the necessary orders).

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
Ok, finally had an empty bottle, I tried a rendition of your recipe. Idon't have unflavored nic liquid so I used vanilla 18 mg 3mL, 3mL of glycerine, 8 whole cloves (dropped straight in), and 20 drops of Vodka. I haven't added the anise yet, but I do plan to after my hubby tries it like this. After ~14 hours I finally tried it (I couldn't smell if it had worked or not, because the bottle smells like the previous juice that was in it), so I dripped it in the atomizer...DAAAAYUUUUM! That hit hard! But in an oh so good way. :) Thank you for the idea. I might have to try this with other spices/herbs (at my own risk of course).

jaross

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
CO
Tried to make clove with what I had...

Slightly sweet 18mg tobacco flavor PG
added VG (because I did not want the nic so strong)
added a few drops of clove oil. I am prepaid for it to gunk up an atomizer because of the clove oil, but I will was it often and hope that it does not. The taste is not bad but it is missing a lot to even come close to a djarum black.

DarkriftX

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
Queen Creek Arizona
I really hope you ppl keep at this. I keep hearing how the clove liquids do not taste good. I have a bottle of pure clove oil and I am sure this should work well. a single drop of this can make your whole mouth burst into flames right before you lose all feeling for 10-30 minutes. I can assume that a 10th of a drop would prob be way way way too much for a single vape. This means that a single drop in a 30-60ml bottle might be perfect. Problem is I do not have a way to cut it properly. I guess 1 drop in 9 drops of vodka, with one drop of that going into a liquid mixture might work but I am probably looking at this wrong. Never mixed anything myself yet.

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Just a thought--I too am a clove lover and have savored Djarum Specials for several years now. I had some almond extract on hand today (it's strong too, probably because it's a natural oil and not a flavoring). I dipped a Q-tip in the almond extract, swabbed the inside of the cart (the end of it where the little air hole is), then replaced my filler and topped it off. It was really good, tasted like the perfect amount of sweet almond without actually getting into my vaping liquid. I plan to try the same with clove oil from the pharmacy. You're just coating the inside top of the cart, not mixing it into your nic juice. I'll bet the clove oil is strong enough to make that happen.

Another thing I've tried is doing the same with EZ Sweetz, a liquid sucralose (Splenda with no extenders). One drop of that can over-sweeten a large mug of liquid. I dabbed it into the same place I swabbed my almond extract. Really really good. Almond oil can be very bitter so this enhanced the almond taste. Bet it would do the same for cloves.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Ok I just recieved my 24 pack sampler from Lorann oils dot com yesterday and it had clove and anise "Oil" in the box, I have 15 atomizers so dont care if I burn one up. I used a 50 50 mix of VG and PG 36mg nic unflavored to get my normal 18mg premix. I then put one drop of clove "Oil" and one drop of Anise "Oil" in the bottom of the cart and one drop of vodkia then topped the cart off with the unflavored mix. I used a tooth pick to stir and added in the batting. POW that hit hard and wow that is clove! I only did one cart and could taste the clove through the whole usage of the cart. Mouth tingling a bit but not numb.
It is now day two and I have not repeated the process. Went back to cherry cheese cake, just love that flavor! Atomizer is humming along and has not failed. I miss my Blacks and Djaruims and this is very close, sweet taste from the VG. I will report back and try this again this weekend and see how the Atomizer fairs.
Hope this helps.
Dan

Added:
BTW the Anise give it that excellent spice flavor! And ok my tounge did go a little numb :p
Do not over do the DROP! (I did this at my own risk)

Last edited:

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Another little "tool" I've come up with is cosmetic cotton swabs. You can get them everywhere in cosmetic depts. and they have one flattened swab on one end and a skinny pointed one on the other. I have a 510 so the cart is kind of oblong instead of perfectly round. The cosmetic swabs will get in there without swabbing down the whole inside of the cart.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Day three, my vaporizer is still going strong. I mixed up another cart with the clove and anise "oil" like the first one. LOL I must have gotten a little bit bigger of a drop of clove oil in there and after the 6-7 draw my tounge started to go numb and tingle. My wife likes clove too everyonce and awhile and took a couple puffs and said Wow that is real close to the analogs we smoked.

So if you want to try this, it was:

1 drop clove oil
1 drop anise oil
1 drop vodka
5 drops VG
5 drops PG 36mg nic

this fills up a 901 cart nicely but makes my tounge go numb after the 6-7 draw soooo...

I will try a weaker mix of:

1 drop clove oil
1 drop anise oil
2 drop vodka
10 drops VG
10 drops PG 36mg nic

should fill two 901 carts and weaken the stregnth of the cloves numbing affects

Will let you know.
Dan

ichaya

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
I buy all of my liquids from vapor4life, so you might have to substitute.

I use a mix of 50/50 with the Clove, and the Vanilla, and this gives a nice flavored vap.

It doesn't give the numbness, but it also does not gum up the vaporizor with oils.

FYI: If you are looking for high quality clove OIL. Skip the grocery stores. Look in your local area for an herb shop. Sometimes they are listed as a tea, and herb shop.
Tell them you want pure essential oils, all natural.
Usually they have absolutely pure oil, and a lot cheaper than the local grocery.

If you happen to be in PA I know of 2.
Mechanicsburg - there is a shop just off the main square called "The Rosemary House".

Lancaster area - There is a shop in Lititz, on the main street. I think it is simply called the herb shop.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Thanks for the tip ichaya, I have tried 3 different clove eliquid resellers on the net and they were all weak with just a hint of clove. Not what I was looking for. I have tried the weakened recipie I posted earlier:

1 drop clove oil
1 drop anise oil
2 drop vodka
10 drops VG
10 drops PG 36mg nic

The numbness sets in around puf 14 so for the average smoker it would be fine. I am using a new atty dedicated to this recipie to see what the life of it will be for oils. It is Day 4 and still going strong. I am not sure who put out oils are bad for the attys.
I have read the reports for the original flavor mixes and trials and they use oils in them. If it is used in small amounts then there should be no more harm to the atty than useing regular tobbaco ejuice as it does contain oil. Look on page 27 and 28 of this report for a list of tested flavors:
Development of A Flavor System An Nicotine Mimic for Acceptability to Smokers of Candidate Potentially Less Hazardous Cigaretts

I am going to experiment a little more and reduce the anise to half the clove, so 1% Clove oil and a .5% anise and see if the numbing affects subside even more while keeping the favor there but a little more subtle.
Next test will be:

2 drop clove oil
1 drop anise oil
20 drop vodka
100 drops VG
100 drops PG 36mg nic

all the oils I am testing are pure oils from Lorann.com

More to follow...
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
My wife has declared this a perfect match to the Djarum Black Cloves!

djblack.jpg

Here is the recipie I have settled on:

2 drops clove oil
1 drop anise oil
20 drops vodka
5ml drops VG
4ml drops PG 36mg nic

Makes 10ml of clove juice. As I sit here I am puffing away and it is smooth, a perfect flavor. The anise makes all the difference, it adds the spice to the clove and really compliments the flavor. Not too strong and not to subtle, just right. And I am on day 5 of my atomizer using oil with no problems so far.

When mixing this, add in this order: VG, then oil, then vodka, then PG and shake. The vodka helps to break up the oils and distributes it in the VG and PG nicely. I have no problems mixing it. It does not pool on the top like you would think. I think the VG helps to suspend it. I dont know, I just care it taste great!

I will report back on the status of the atomizer.
Dan

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
My wife has declared this a perfect match to the Djarum Black Cloves!

djblack.jpg

Here is the recipie I have settled on:

2 drops clove oil
1 drop anise oil
20 drops vodka
5ml drops VG
4ml drops PG 36mg nic

Makes 10ml of clove juice. As I sit here I am puffing away and it is smooth, a perfect flavor. The anise makes all the difference, it adds the spice to the clove and really compliments the flavor. Not too strong and not to subtle, just right. And I am on day 5 of my atomizer using oil with no problems so far.

When mixing this, add in this order: VG, then oil, then vodka, then PG and shake. The vodka helps to break up the oils and distributes it in the VG and PG nicely. I have no problems mixing it. It does not pool on the top like you would think. I think the VG helps to suspend it. I dont know, I just care it taste great!

I will report back on the status of the atomizer.
Dan

I and happy to report that it is day twelve and my atty keeps vapping! The minimal amount of oil that was added does not seem to affect it. I love being able to have full flavor clove mix when I want it. I have even mixed up a stronger vanilla mix and added the same amount of clove and anise to the vanilla mix. Mmmmmmm Vanilla clove Awesome!
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
So if I use vodka/grain alcohol I can make use of my oil based flavors? Please update and let me know how the atty holds up.

I would say yes if you use them in the ratio I did. These oils are super concentrated and it does not take much! I would start with 1 drop per 10ml juice and see how the flavor is, then add as needed. As for the clove I found that too much and your mouth will start going numb, the tounge first then the rest.

Hope this helps, am going to try cinnamon and wintergreen next.
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Thats good to hear. I also got the sampler and saw the oil, half of the sampler, and was bummed out. Too cool, now I need some vodka.:p

Looks like I might have to start my old bloody mary sunday's again too.;):D

LOL I just mixed up a batch of wintergreen, 2 drops to 10ml just like the clove mix... Wahhhooo taste like wintergreen lifesavers. Sweet wintergreen taste on the lips after the exhale, Nice!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread