Cobra (or any Genesis) Air Hole Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
Has anyone expanded the air hole on the Cobra? I don't even know what the stock hole is, but after watching this video I've been curious if putting a 5/64 air hole on the Cobra would improve its experience as well (in the review he says "Genesis" not just the orion which got me thinking about the Cobra).

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ession-orion-v2-1-5-64th-modded-air-hole.html

I've heard many complain that the ZAP is too airy, what's the air hole on it?

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Has anyone expanded the air hole on the Cobra? I don't even know what the stock hole is, but after watching this video I've been curious if putting a 5/64 air hole on the Cobra would improve its experience as well (in the review he says "Genesis" not just the orion which got me thinking about the Cobra).

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ession-orion-v2-1-5-64th-modded-air-hole.html

I've heard many complain that the ZAP is too airy, what's the air hole on it?

These days, I believe it comes standard with a 1/16" air hole. That's 4/64, to compare it to the video, or 1.58mm.

AlmightyGod said:
I just don't care for the larger air holes at all.

It's a matter of preference, but once you drill...that is forever, so try someone else's before do.
I have some small hole griffins/chids & ordered a top with the bigger hole. (DV is drilling the holes & the hole is no longer plated [just so its out there]). I am glad I bought the spare & did not drill!, because the smaller hole actually functions better. 3 inline vertical smaller air holes would likely be even better. Air inlet design is often the key to increased vapor production & if too much air enters the chamber, pressure loss? happens. IMO one wants to feel restriction to a certain degree while vaping a vape (on an open chamber genisis set up). If no resistance is felt the magic of airflow more often then not becomes little more than open window on a still day. Air pressure differentials? & vortexes within the vapor production chamber are factors often overlooked.

Here a video with still air, air from the left & then from above.
Best viewed full screen HD

With the bigger hole griffin top I do seem to get more pops & less vapor.

Most of my reply is guessery!, involving speculations on what may be happening inside of the vapor production chamber, which is largely a mystery to MISTer E! (as of today anyway :glare:)
Jusy my :2c:
8N9cC.gif

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
With a CHID/DUD it is easy to make the hole larger. Just use a dentist tool to gradually make the hole larger to your liking. Mine ended up being 1/16 of an inch. So for my second DUD i just used a 1/16 drill bit to do it at once. 1/16 inch is approximately 1.6mm.
With the Cobra it will be harder since the top cap is stainless steel...so you will need to use a drill. They do sell drill bits that are metric. I don't know what the air hole size of the cobra is to begin with...but once you figure that out buy a few different size drill bits so that you can gradually increase the size of the hole.... because once you drill.... it is forever.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
MISTer E: Interesting that you feel that way. It's the complete opposite for me. With the smaller airholes, I was getting a harsher throat hit. I honestly do notice slightly more vapor with a 1/16" hole, but I mainly do it for the throat hit. I like a nice, smooth throat hit. I don't want a harsh, cigarette-like throat it as it tears my throat up easily. Everybody is different. One person may want a huge airhole, others may prefer a tiny one but be careful. Like AlmightyGod said, once you drill it, that's that. Except for the tape trick, or maybe some JB weld, it'll never go back to exactly like it was.

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
The main reason I'm exploring a larger air hole is because I'm helping a friend with his and he keeps complaining that he's getting too much throat hit (2ohm coil, even @ around 3.2v he still says it's too harsh). He still smokes and he says it's way stronger than his cigs (ultra lights) and that it's choking him even with small 1-2 second pulls on the Cobra (he also mentioned it "burning"/being "hot" although I'm not sure if he's using the terminology correctly as he should be around 6 watts or so meaning it shouldn't be hot?).

Like I said before, it's a 4-5 wrap @ 2-2.3ohms and regardless of the volts he says its too strong. There are no hot spots to my knowledge (pic of the coil below). He's using Heavenly Tobacco juice (RY4 variant) from Heather's Heavenly Vapes at a 30VG/70PG ratio. It's a 500 mesh wrapped tight (no center channel) fully oxidized (maybe even too much).

Having said all of the above, what could I do to lessen the harshness (he wants to feel the throat hit, like he would a cig, just not overwhelming/choking)? Different juice? More wraps on the coil/higher ohms? Or just go ahead and try the 1/16th hole (I've already bought the drill bit in case we end up going that route).

Thanks for the advice in advance. :thumbs:

ZHjP8.jpg

mYUeM.jpg

iPr6U.jpg

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Like AG mentioned its a matter of personal preference as some like a tighter draw and some do not.
Here is a drill bit chart , where it says Designation that column can be found at Ace as well as regular sizes.
For example i bought a #60 for a 1.016mm hole size. anything over 1.2mm is not good for my preference.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Looking at the picture he seems to have a nice coil going. However, from what you're describing it just sounds like he has hot spots on the coil. When you have hot spots you can bring the voltage down to 3 volts and it will still painfully burn your throat with a 1-2 second drag. With a tiny air hole you will get more of a throat hit than a larger air hole, but not the type of painful throat hit that you are describing. So making the air hole larger will probably not help much. So to check for hot spots, just lower the voltage to 3v and fire it up. What you want to see is all the coils glowing the same rate at the same time. If a couple burn faster and hotter than the rest...you have hot spots. One of the characteristics of a genesis style atty is that exceptionally smooth throat hit.

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
Looking at the picture he seems to have a nice coil going. However, from what you're describing it just sounds like he has hot spots on the coil. When you have hot spots you can bring the voltage down to 3 volts and it will still painfully burn your throat with a 1-2 second drag. With a tiny air hole you will get more of a throat hit than a larger air hole, but not the type of painful throat hit that you are describing. So making the air hole larger will probably not help much. So to check for hot spots, just lower the voltage to 3v and fire it up. What you want to see is all the coils glowing the same rate at the same time. If a couple burn faster and hotter than the rest...you have hot spots. One of the characteristics of a genesis style atty is that exceptionally smooth throat hit.

Thanks for the tip. I'm the one who wrapped the coil for him and it was my first so it likely does have hot spots (I thought as long as it didn't have a short and the coils looked relatively similar in color (like the picture) that it was good. We'll experiment with it and see what we end up with.

As for the air hole, in his opinion the Cobra has a tighter draw than a regular cig (I'm not a smoker so I couldn't tell when he had me draw on both, it seemed similar to me). I'll make sure to hold off on trying to open up the air hole until we resolve the coil issues though.

Thanks again. :)

muffluvin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I like my air holes big, heck I drill all the clones I regularly use to 1/16" and they fit my need. I find satisfaction with the ZAP as well, it's my daily vape equip.

But today I received a Cobra with an air hole modded to 1/16" and it's intense. 1.8ohms on 3.3V which is .4V lower than what I used on ZAP and I have smoke coming out of my ears lol

I'm not sure if it is because I used 500 SS Mesh on the wick and wrapped a 28GA for the (4/5 turns) coil.

You think using a 325/400 SS Mesh and 32GA wire would make the vaping experience on the Cobra a lil bit pleasant?

Any inputs would really be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Maconi....again looking at the picture you coils looked fine but a painful vape means there are hot spots or the coil isn't seasoned enough. So another thing to do once you have a nice coil is to fill the tank up.... point the device to the ground and fire away for ten seconds.....do this 3-5 times. The dry hits will really smooth out the vape. Now if you do all this and it still hits too hard...then drill out the hole and make it larger. But do it gradually....1/16 bit will make the hole 1.6mm...try to find a 1.3mm drill bit before you use the 1/16 dill bit.

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
Yeah, the whole reason I bought him the Cobra is because he used to use an 808 Cartomizer and would complain that it had no feeling (no throat hit, wasn't a satisfying analogue replacement). So I went with the Cobra+Provari to make sure it had enough kick to satisfy him. I'll be extremely careful about doing anything that might ruin the experience (make it weaker/unsatisfying).

I'll just wrap another coil (and keep wrapping coils) until we hit the sweet spot, I was just wanting a second opinion before I wasted all my time on the coil if that wasn't the issue.

Side question though. I'm currently using 4-5 wraps of 32g Kanthal (2.3ohms). Would going up to 5-6/6-7 wraps be better so that he'd have more control over the watts (voltage increases wouldn't affect the wattage as dramatically, meaning he'd have more control/dial in his sweet spot easier, right?)? Just making sure that more ohms won't make the experience harsher or anything.

Thanks again. :)

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Another issue that can affect it is air hole alignment. It needs to be directly aligned with the wick. It's common knowledge but just in case your friend is not aware of it... With my Cobra if the air hole is too far away from the coil it results in low vapour and a nasty intense throat hit.

The hole on the Cobra is 1mm and the cap has very thick walls which gives it a stiffer than average draw. I like it but not everyone does. Also make sure it's clear of any dirt as that will make it tighter..

Last edited:

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
The more wraps you do the more there is chance on making mistakes....4-5 wraps is pretty good IMHO. That is what I do and most others do as well. Again IMHO a 2.3 ohms coil is spot on. Most people Vape a 2.3ohms coil at around 4.5 volts....so it gives a lot of room on finding the sweet spot. No one vapes a 2.3ohm coil at 3.2v...it wouldn't produce much vapor or throat hit. That is the reason I thought maybe you had hot spots.

I am vaping on 80pg/20vg RY4 11mg juice at 2.2ohms at 4.4v...and it is the smoothest vape ever. There is a definite throat hit but it is smooth type of a throat hit. Once you get it working right you will know what I mean.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I enjoy the smaller hole in the Cobra, 3 of those smaller holes may be a very good idea, the FattyV2 has 3 small holes and it works great, but 3 of those really small holes in a Cobra sounds like = WIN to me, not a bigger hole but more small holes instead, this would still make for the right pull when you took a vape yet allow more air to get to the mesh and create and even more Venture air flow ! 5wraps of 28AWG Kanthal is my set up in both of my Cobra's 30Awg is also good but like the 28Awg, gonna drill 2 more holes the same size as the stock hole one on the right one on the left of the stock hole and this should be = Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread