Cobra (or any Genesis) Air Hole Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
Alright I'm back again. I think he's starting to get used to the draw so I'm not sure if I'll need to alter the air hole anymore.

However...

He's still having a problem with his throat burning. It doesn't burn when he inhales/starts vaping, but like 30 seconds into vaping (and it continues to burn for a while after he's vaped).

Is that still a coil issue (I'd lean more towards hot spots as I know there weren't any shorts, I even completely removed the wick/dried it/reinserted it and did more dry burns to ensure everything was even)? I've even taken 1-2 coils off of it already (so it's a couple less than what the above pics show) although it still hovers around 3-3.1ohms (which means he has the Provari @ 5volts). Is that too much?

Or is it maybe that the wick is just fried (I oxidized to too much)? I'm leaning towards the wick because it does look rather charred (I tried to go easy on it I swear :( lol).

Or maybe just a sensitivity to the specific juice or PG or VG (but that would cause a sore throat and not the burning sensation right?)?

Or does this actually bring us full circle and back to the OP, where if I opened up the air hole it would reduce the throat burn (he says he loves the hit, so I wouldn't want to ruin the feeling of the vape, just reduce the burn)?

In short, what would cause throat burning after (not during, or at least not immediately after starting) vaping? I want to get this sorted ASAP as I don't want to push him away from vaping and back to his cigs. Thanks. :toast:

Last edited:

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Burn as in hot? Or is it just a nasty metallic taste?

You can try to rotate the cap slighlty to the left / right away from the wick.
This will alter the vapor/throat hit. Can use it to test

You can also lower the voltage some. You may be cooking your juice.

I have had that burning sensation, and it was because of wicking issues.
I knew that because when I tilted it, or directly put a drop or 2 on the wick... no burn sensation.

May be reaching here...but just throwing some ideas out there.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Also...pick up a non genny atomizer. Maybe a carto tank or vivi nova.
Let him try that with the same juice in the genny. If it still is burn...then maybe an alergy (or bad juice?).
If it is ok...then its probably not the juice.

Personally, for a new vapor I would stick with something easier then a genny.
They are a pain, lol

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
Hrm, I hadn't thought about simply turning the air hole away from the wick (that would reduce the throat hit correct?). He can't turn the voltage down much further as he's already hovering around 8 watts and any lower he says he has 0 satisfaction/throat hit.

He has an old 808 Carto he could try the juice in I suppose. We got him a Genesis because the 808 was much too weak for him (he's trying to quit analogues and the 808 just wasn't enough to satisfy his cravings).

I'll probably try making a new wick, and then removing another coil. If neither of those work I'll be at a complete loss. :unsure:

Grimheart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2012
Hell, Mississippi
Man, I glad I found this thread. I have a Cobra and have been having similar problems...kind of. I've made many coils and finally made one that I thought was perfect. My problem was horrible throat hit at even 6 watts. Anything below that and you couldn't get much vapor at all. At 8 watts it was killing me and producing only a tiny bit of vapor. After reading this thread I did the burning process by turning it upside down and burning the wick for 10 seconds. I noticed a fairly big difference in throat hit and could finally turn it up to 8 watts. Still, I was exhaling only a tiny bit of vapor even being mindful of taking a short primer puff each toot. My cap was lined up perfectly and still, the vapor totally sucked. In a fit of desperation I removed one of the screws hoping to get a better air flow and voila huge plumes of vapor. I do notice that I have to 'time' my puffs. There is a sweet spot. If I hit it just right I get tons of flavor and vapor. If I puff once second too long it gets kinda harsh, not bad, but I rather avoid it. I'm still considering opening up the hole just a tiny bit for more air flow. I hope you get your problem sorted out, once working correctly this thing is awesome.

Edit: Well after about 30 minutes of vaping like crazy it's back to the same old problems. I'm going to put this aside for a few weeks. If I'd know genesis attys were this much of a pain I would have just spent the money elsewhere. Live and learn I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread