Status
Not open for further replies.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
When it starts tasting bad. There is no specific day time frame where it's bad. Some juices ruined a coil in 2 days for me. Some juice, I went 6 weeks on all on the same watt settings. It depends if you run it too high, your juices, a lot of factors play into how long coils last.

Reactions: Romano Cheese

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Occs are different then coils that you would put into say a RDA as there is no (easy) way to remove the cotton in the OCCs for easy replacement. Personally on a dripper I would replace the cotton every 2 days and change the coil every week because I like a fresh taste and I can start seeing a difference around those two time periods. That being said for OCCs I normally change them about once every 5 days when I use my Kanger Subtank. This absolutely changes depending on how much you are vaping the OCC and what your wattage is at. The higher the wattage the easier it is to dirty up that cotton.

TLDR: Its honestly up to you, when the taste isn't to your satisfaction, change it :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I saw many different answers on the subject ranging from 4 days to 3 weeks and a month. I have a kangertech subtank with occ coil. When will i understand when to change? Is it obvious or there is small change and dont understand when you have to change?

it is a gradual change.
if you don't change the coil it will get so bad enough you could not possibly fail to notice.
It would taste burnt, and likely make you cough.

Reactions: Moonlitwish

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
I wish reviewers would stop saying they last me a month....well no crap, you have 300 other tanks and 100 other rdas you vape on....

They should give how many refills between coils and what kind of juice they used or just say it lasts about average
Most of mine last about a month, but only if I'm vaping plain menthol. Add a flavor and they go downhill fast.

Like others have said, it a slow change at first, but eventually you can't ignore the icky taste.

*~*moonlitwish*~*

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Rule (1)
If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Flavor/vapor changes as a coil assembly starts to cake up. when it is no longer pleasurable or performance has dropped considerable, it is time to change.

This could be 1/2 a day or a month to many months depending on many factors.
Just follow rule one.

LitoBandito

Jul 23, 2015
I'm using the OCC verticals in my Subtank Mini and with my ADV (Mtn Dew Burst from Vapor Vapes) at 20-30W, these coils usually last 5-8 days before I feel like they have "lost something" and I switch out the coil. But it really depends. I've had a few that gunked up and tasted awful after two days. I have learned that it mainly depends on the initial "break-in" just after I switch out coils. I clean the tank and prime the new coil with ten drops and then fill the tank and put everything back together. I then let it sit for twenty minutes before "primer puffing". I don't fire it up until I don't see bubbles coming from the wicks. It's a little wet at first (some un-atomized juice and little popping) but it usually settles out pretty quickly. Then I don't usually need to switch out coils for a week or so. Hope this helps.

BostonJim

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Las Vegas
I wish reviewers would stop saying they last me a month...
They should give how many refills between coils and what kind of juice they used or just say it lasts about average

I get about 75ml through an OCC coil. The juice I use doesn't tell me what ratio the PG/VG is. I vape at 20 watts on a .5 Ohm coil.

shannon walker

Aug 4, 2015
Just got my stm last Friday morning so 1 week old so far I've went through around 80ml of pluto from space jam vaping between 30 and 40 watts 0 nic and the coil is still vaping like it did new just checked out the inside of the coil with a flashlight the only thing I noticed was slightly darkened area around the center coil wrap
.5ohm occ vertical head

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I wish reviewers would stop saying they last me a month....well no crap, you have 300 other tanks and 100 other rdas you vape on....

My DIYNETS require a wick change in about 6 hours, coils in about 3 days
HHV juice wick change about 5-12 days coils change 2 months
and I agree, its the juice quality/clarity that determines the wick change time period

JavaJunkie

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Virginia
I don't often use the premade coils in my subtank, but when I do use them, they last me about a week. But, that information is meaningless to you. The way I vape isn't the way you vape. If you like a higher or lower wattage, you could get more or less time. Some flavors that I like are hard on coils. I'm a heavy vaper. I'm super picky about flavor and performance.

On the upside, the subtank gives you an RBA option. If you find yourself buying a lot of premade coils, you can switch to the RBA. Replacing the wick and cleaning the coil is a lot cheaper than replacing the premade coils.

Reactions: GeorgeS

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Being a confirmed Tootle Puffer, only liking my vapor at the lower wattages, have used the 1.2 and 1.5 OCC coils on my SubTank mini. Having been learning to rebuild the OCC coils (horizontal only, bad at vertical) and the RBA deck, yesterday found a third option. Tried it through the night and all this morning through 3 tanks of juice.

I'm a whiz at building the ProTank 2 coils with 30 Kathanl, cellu cotton, anywhere from 1.5 to 1.8 ohms. Was surprised that you can also use them in the SubTank mini as well. Have used one with no leaking from 3.5v/8.1w and now at 3.7v/9w on the Cool Fire IV, ProVari 2.5, and presently on the VaporShark rDNA 30. It did leak a smidge at 3.4v, so pushed it back up to a whopping 3.5v. Used the middle hole in the AFC. Not a cloud chaser setup by any means, but plenty of vapor to satisfy. Am now up to 10.5 watts/4 volts....Living on the "wild side." Ha!

I'm tickled to find this out as;
(1) coils are cheaper than the OCC's for those who don't or can't build,
(2) I can use these which I can easily build in an emergency or if I get too lazy,
(3) Looks like the tank would hold a bit more juice since the PT coils don't have the big "housing" taking up space, (4) You readily can see the wicking which is much closer to the bottom. Can vape the juice gone., and
(5) I love options! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread