coil confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medicrunner

Nov 27, 2015
Downside, more e-liquid consumed and not necessarily more flavor. Possible more frequent coil/wick changes and shorter battery life (on a charge and life of battery). No stealth. I could go on, but hey if it works for you, go for it.
I noticed the 1.8 works too...would it use more or less...getting the feeling the store just wants me to use it to make more off of me.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Yes and No. Yes they want to make $ on you, but at the same time, they want you happy and keep coming back.1.8 or so ohms is considered non sub ohming.I have seen recently about 80% of the vapers vape at non subohm. Kind of tells you something.

80%? Wow, where is that statistic, can I see it?

Reactions: BrotherBob

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    @Tommy-Chi
    Wish I could help you there, i read a lot of articles and forgot where I picked it up. Statistic makes sense though. Since sub ohming is relatively new compared to old above 1 ohm, think of all the users in the world who are non sub ohming and not a member/followers of ECF.
    Tempted to start a poll here. Quite a few folks on forums are avid vapers meaning mostly over represented dedicated fiercely sub ohmers. That being said, I think I may start a poll and find out about the ECF folks preferences: sub vs non sub's. Have to think carefully how to word it.

Reactions: djsvapour

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Lower Ohm Coils Will:
    • Heat The Coil Faster
    • Produce More Vapor
    • Drain The Battery Faster
    • Use E-Juice Faster
    • Produce A "Warmer" Tasting Vape
    Higher Ohm Coils Will:
    • Heat The Coil Slower
    • Produce Less Vapor
    • Provide A “Cooler” Tasting Vape
    • Use Less E-Juice
    • Prolong Battery Life
    And yes it is true. The vast majority of vapers worldwide do not vape sub-ohm coils (less than 1.0 ohm).

Many of the people who are most vocal on ecig forums are hobbyists and vaping enthusiasts who have advanced to vaping sub-ohm (myself included). However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using standard resistance coils if that is what you prefer. It took me three years before I was ready to advance to vaping sub-ohms.

Last edited:

daviedog

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    I had just built a 2 coil .8 ohm on my orchid rta. A little warm, not anything to brag about.
    Month later pick it up, vape awhile,, just beautiful.l happened to look down on the mod, reading 1.5 ohm. Yep, a coil broke. Ive since prebuilt a lot my kayfuns now to 1.2 or so. It's about balance not power..

Reactions: Thespis

Girod

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 1, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Does TC count as sub-ohm? Yes, obviously the resistance is less than 1.0 ohm unless you are doing 100 wraps, but it feels like cheating sometimes.

Whether your resistance is over or under 1.0 ohm, I wonder more about how much power people actually use. Example: I currently run a single clapton in a Velocity, .5 ohm at 40 watts and the vape is relatively cool. I've had 1.0+ ohm setups that run much hotter. Apart from trying out a dual coil clapton (once), which led me back to the single coil, I have never stayed above 40 watts for long. Most of the time in non-TC and non-Clapton builds, I don't go over 25 watts regardless of resistance. Always thought of myself as barely running above tootie-puffing, on the other hand I go through juice like a total cloud chaser so... yeah I am under 1 ohm most of the time.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Lower Ohm Coils Will:
    • Heat The Coil Faster
    Higher Ohm Coils Will:
    • Heat The Coil Slower

If I may...

Actually, technically, sub-ohm or lower resistance coils (thicker wire) heat up (and cool down) more slowly than higher resistance (thin wire) coils and hence need higher power (more wattage). Higher resistance wires heat up and cool down much faster than the LR coils, and require less wattage.

IOW, if you apply say 10 watts to a .3Ω coils (22-24g wire), it will take it probably 10-8 seconds or so to come up to 400 degrees. The same 10 watts will heat up a 1.8Ω (30-32g) coil in no time whatsoever, maybe a couple of seconds, tops.

JDC1958

ECF Veteran
    Nov 26, 2015
    If I may...

Actually, technically, sub-ohm or lower resistance coils (thicker wire) heat up (and cool down) more slowly than higher resistance (thin wire) coils and hence need higher power (more wattage). Higher resistance wires heat up and cool down much faster than the LR coils, and require less wattage.

IOW, if you apply say 10 watts to a .3Ω coils (22-24g wire), it will take it probably 10-8 seconds or so to come up to 400 degrees. The same 10 watts will heat up a 1.8Ω (30-32g) coil in no time whatsoever, maybe a couple of seconds, tops.
    So technically, whats the advantage of low ohm/thicker coils? Is it because you can run higher watts?

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    So technically, whats the advantage of low ohm/thicker coils? Is it because you can run higher watts?

Yes--higher watts, more air, more surface area--increased vapor production, more power, more action. People who prefer massive direct lung hits love sub-ohm vaping. I'm a mouth-to-lung person and I prefer tamer setups.

Other than that, it's complicated. :)

I like this thread--especially the OP.

My thoughts about sub-ohm and latest VV/VW devices...

JDC1958

ECF Veteran
    Nov 26, 2015
    Yes--higher watts, more air, more surface area--increased vapor production, more power, more action. People who prefer massive direct lung hits love sub-ohm vaping. I'm a mouth-to-lung person and I prefer tamer setups.

Other than that, it's complicated. :)

I like this thread--especially the OP.

My thoughts about sub-ohm and latest VV/VW devices...
    Very good explanation and plenty technical enough for me. I don't know if love is exactly how I feel about my low ohm vape and a direct lung hit, but its the 1st set-up that’s gotten me completely off cigs for any significant length of time. I am definitely sticking with it :}

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Very good explanation and plenty technical enough for me. I don't know if love is exactly how I feel about my low ohm vape and a direct lung hit, but its the 1st set-up that’s gotten me completely off cigs for any significant length of time. I am definitely sticking with it :}

That's interesting. I've heard that many times from vapers--that the sub-ohm tanks helped them quit in no time.

I like my Subtank mini, but I prefer to use it in a non-sub-ohm mode--with 1.2-1.6Ω coils, medium air, MTL.

Good luck and congratulations!

Reactions: JDC1958

JDC1958

ECF Veteran
    Nov 26, 2015
    That's interesting. I've heard that many times from vapers--that the sub-ohm tanks helped them quit in no time.

I like my Subtank mini, but I prefer to use it in a non-sub-ohm mode--with 1.2-1.6Ω coils, medium air, MTL.

Good luck and congratulations!
    Thanks Kalya and it is weird. I inhaled cigs no doubt; but no where near as deep or as long a draw as with this sub tank. It works really well for me though; and I don't chain vape at work either. Home is a different story lol

Reactions: Katya
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread