Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I have wrapped many different diameter coils. The largest being around 1/8" with 4 wraps and the smallest being around an 18 ga needle with 15 or so wraps.

I have found the best setup to increase VTF to be a proper micro coil - 10-13 tight / touching wraps around a 1.4mm to 1.6mm mold / jig / mandrel with a rolled cotton wick. My jig size of choice these days is .055". I suggest 1/16" - it's very close.

Any larger than 1/16" and the traits of the micro diminish, any smaller and it's a pain to wick. I wick thru the center of the coil because it suits my vape style.

I suggest using the size wire to hit your target resistance in 10-13 wraps. For 1.5 ohms I use 28 ga. For 2 ohms I use 30 ga.

A proper micro coil has the surface area and concentrated heat to make quick work of vaporizing eliquid :)

Here's a pic of my typical 28 ga build:
7a7y5ege.jpg

armyofskittles

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Norflk, VA
I have wrapped many different diameter coils. The largest being around 1/8" with 4 wraps and the smallest being around an 18 ga needle with 15 or so wraps.

I have found the best setup to increase VTF to be a proper micro coil - 10-13 tight / touching wraps around a 1.4mm to 1.6mm mold / jig / mandrel with a rolled cotton wick. My jig size of choice these days is .055". I suggest 1/16" - it's very close.

Any larger than 1/16" and the traits of the micro diminish, any smaller and it's a pain to wick. I wick thru the center of the coil because it suits my vape style.

I suggest using the size wire to hit your target resistance in 10-13 wraps. For 1.5 ohms I use 28 ga. For 2 ohms I use 30 ga.

A proper micro coil has the surface area and concentrated heat to make quick work of vaporizing eliquid :)

Here's a pic of my typical 28 ga build:
7a7y5ege.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, even a 1/16th coil is a little tough to wick for me. I'm using sugar and cream cotton yarn boiled. I wick through then coil on my rdas, bout externally on my kayfun. Still sticking with the 1/16th in my rda but can probably go smaller in my kayfun, but I don't want to use 30g to get my desired ohms, I prefer the durability of the 28. It makes a big difference for me.

I'll be going nowhere but down in diameter from here, though. as I feel 1/16th is the smallest I want to go for coils with wicks going through them. Still need time to experiment. next coil in kayfun will be smaller

-Sent from outer space using DNA20 and Kayfun Lite

My problem was this...

very small diameter with more wraps or larger diameter with fewer wraps, both yielding nearly the same resistance. The smaller diameter coil having a thinner piece of cotton within it would not reabsorb quickly. The first toot would be great, the second not so great and the third is dry.

The larger diameter coil would allow more cotton and thus more juice. I didn't dry out but the the trade off was vapor production and flavor. Was it unacceptable? well it was for me... that's personal.

What I did... Realizing that I need the larger diameter coil but I also needed the same overall length of coil that the smaller diameter coil yielded, I needed lower resistance wire. than the 28 ga I had. Rather than order a thicker wire I twisted two 28 gauge wires together. The has the same effect on resistance that going from one coil to two coils does in a Dual coil atomizer. The difference is that you still have one coil. The gave me the ability to make a coil that was both wider in diameter to accommodate more wick and thus more juice, but also allow me to have a coil that is just as long as my very small diameter coils.

Pros, larger coil, with the same resistance as your smaller single wire coils.
Cons, tricky to make for first timers, Takes longer for the coil to glow when firing naked, takes longer for the coil to cool when current is withdrawn.

Remember, Creating big clouds isn't just about low resistance. You have to be able to supply juice to the coil and move vapor away from the coil so new vapor can be created. Heat, juice and air!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread